• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 Spider-Man polybagged

32 posts in this topic

Hi,

With the recent announcement of Todd McFarlane's private signing, pretty sure lots of people are looking through their collections to submit. And I'm one of them, lol. Was looking at the census for 1990 Spider-Man #1 and noticed there are very few graded polybagged versions, and even less signed. Besides production runs, like the silver $2 polybagged only had a 125k run or the gold 2nd print with a 450k run, just curious if there was any reason why there are so little, compared to the unbagged issues? Trying to carefully choose which ones to submit... TIA!

4 hours ago, HerculoidZok said:

Hi,

With the recent announcement of Todd McFarlane's private signing, pretty sure lots of people are looking through their collections to submit. And I'm one of them, lol. Was looking at the census for 1990 Spider-Man #1 and noticed there are very few graded polybagged versions, and even less signed. Besides production runs, like the silver $2 polybagged only had a 125k run or the gold 2nd print with a 450k run, just curious if there was any reason why there are so little, compared to the unbagged issues? Trying to carefully choose which ones to submit... TIA!

CGC doesn't grade/slab poly bagged comics, so you would have to take them out of the poly bag and submit them. If you like to store you comics poly bagged it would make more sense to just send the non polybagged silver or the gold if you prefer.

Edited by Ladic

Thanks Ladic. I understand CGC won't slab a factory polybagged issue, and they (if not you) will remove the polybag for grading but was more curious about this title/issue in particular. I should have been more specific and was referring to the variants of 1990 Spider-Man vol 1. At least one of every variant is slabbed. No problem there, but wasn't sure if there was a particular reason why the there are more unbagged variants that are graded, vs the polybagged (variants)/slabbed. And of those polybagged variants, very few are signed.

Example: you can still buy a copy of the $2 polybagged silver ink/black cover. $30 on Amazon or $27 at mycomicshop.com. For this variant, there are only 153 signed and graded, but the unbagged black/silver cover have over 1800 signed/graded.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it. Wasn't sure if there was some glaring reason why, if any, these variants should not be graded or signed... or?

On 11/10/2019 at 12:54 PM, HerculoidZok said:

just curious if there was any reason why there are so little, compared to the unbagged issues?

Most likely due to damage from the bag's seams. That's always an issue for bagged books, especially if they were kept sealed for a long time.

On 11/10/2019 at 10:54 AM, HerculoidZok said:

Hi,

Those "production runs" are estimates. Marvel never released the "official" number of each issue produced. The reason so few of the bagged versions are graded is because of what Lazyboy said: lots and lots and lots of copies damaged by the seam on the heat seal.

Ironic, no...? 

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Most likely due to damage from the bag's seams. That's always an issue for bagged books, especially if they were kept sealed for a long time.

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Those "production runs" are estimates. Marvel never released the "official" number of each issue produced. The reason so few of the bagged versions are graded is because of what Lazyboy said: lots and lots and lots of copies damaged by the seam on the heat seal.

Ironic, no...? 

What?? I have never heard of that. Well, that's a downer! Is there any typical damage, or common indicators on what to look for? I bought these copies after they came out but put them in another bag (and board) and have stayed since; until just taking them out now for this private signing.

I'm also trying to contact them and see if the graders can differentiate between the bagged and unbagged 'green' covers. They almost look identical. The webbing and the top left corner are 'slightly' different shades of color but not sure if that could be the printer ink running out? With all these variants, I'd hate to see a variant be mistaken for another.

Man I am bummed about reading long term storage 'heat seal damage'!

7 minutes ago, HerculoidZok said:

What?? I have never heard of that. Well, that's a downer! Is there any typical damage, or common indicators on what to look for? I bought these copies after they came out but put them in another bag (and board) and have stayed since; until just taking them out now for this private signing.

I'm also trying to contact them and see if the graders can differentiate between the bagged and unbagged 'green' covers. They almost look identical. The webbing and the top left corner are 'slightly' different shades of color but not sure if that could be the printer ink running out? With all these variants, I'd hate to see a variant be mistaken for another.

Well on the form you get to identify the ‘variant’ yourself, as in you fill out the form yourself.  They do delineate.

also just a warning.  Plenty of people think their comics are the highest possible grade because they’re in sealed bags and/or have been bagged and boarded for a million years. And that is possible.  But it is far more likely that your first submission will have disappointing grades.  

So I would suggest tempering expectations, doing some conservative math, and examining your comics closely before submitting, which will include taking them out of the bag, which understably some people aren’t in a hurry to do

11 minutes ago, HerculoidZok said:

The bagged greens are tough. You've got the "grey" webs, the "purple" webs, in the bag, out of the bag, newsstands in the bag...I don't think it'll ever be properly sorted. The black/silvers are easy because of the lack of the price...but there's just too much out there on the "greens."

Every single bagged book from the 90s that has remained bagged since then is going to have some measure of "heat seam indent" on the back cover, but the good news is, a qualified presser can get those out. 

On 2/8/2020 at 1:29 AM, BrianPiel said:

I purchased the gold 2nd print in a polybag. I found another example of this book here 

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=93961

Does anyone know if these are the real deal. Other chat boards seem to think these were fakes.

Welcome To The Boards

Why would you think they are fake?

On 2/7/2020 at 10:29 PM, BrianPiel said:

I purchased the gold 2nd print in a polybag. I found another example of this book here 

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=93961

Does anyone know if these are the real deal. Other chat boards seem to think these were fakes.

They are just 2nd prints put into first print (green) bags. The 2nd prints were NOT issued in bagged versions...they were reprints, and would not have received that kind of treatment.

I do understand the OP's question now, there was a polybagged version of the "Gold 2nd Printing".

After reading the descriptions it sounds like the Gold Direct Version and the Gold Polybagged are the same book other than one being bagged.

I seriously doubt there is any difference in value, if you send the polybagged version to CGC to be graded it will be removed from the polybag to be graded and placed in the slab without the bag and there will not be any mention that it was polybagged.

Here are the descriptions from mycomicshop.com.

Spider-Man (1990) #1GOLDP Polybagged edition. 2nd Printing, Black Cover with Gold Webbing. 2nd Printing, (Spidey's head in UPC box. This is NOT bar-code version). Cover price $1.75.

Spider-Man (1990) #1GOLD 2nd Printing, Black Cover with Gold Webbing. 2nd Printing, (Spidey's head in UPC box. This is NOT bar-code version). Cover price $1.75.

Spider-Man (1990) #1GOLD.UPC Gold 2nd printing with newsstand UPC code. Low print run. Todd McFarlane story, cover, and art. "Torment" part 1 of 5. Cover price $1.75.

43 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

I do understand the OP's question now, there was a polybagged version of the "Gold 2nd Printing".

After reading the descriptions it sounds like the Gold Direct Version and the Gold Polybagged are the same book other than one being bagged.

I seriously doubt there is any difference in value, if you send the polybagged version to CGC to be graded it will be removed from the polybag to be graded and placed in the slab without the bag and there will not be any mention that it was polybagged.

Here are the descriptions from mycomicshop.com.

Spider-Man (1990) #1GOLDP Polybagged edition. 2nd Printing, Black Cover with Gold Webbing. 2nd Printing, (Spidey's head in UPC box. This is NOT bar-code version). Cover price $1.75.

Spider-Man (1990) #1GOLD 2nd Printing, Black Cover with Gold Webbing. 2nd Printing, (Spidey's head in UPC box. This is NOT bar-code version). Cover price $1.75.

Spider-Man (1990) #1GOLD.UPC Gold 2nd printing with newsstand UPC code. Low print run. Todd McFarlane story, cover, and art. "Torment" part 1 of 5. Cover price $1.75.

I asked the same thing a while back here in the forums, I was told that it was incorrect, and that Gold Bagged Copy is mostly likely someone that used a bag from either green or silver and closed a Gold, so its a fake.

58 minutes ago, Ladic said:

I asked the same thing a while back here in the forums, I was told that it was incorrect, and that Gold Bagged Copy is mostly likely someone that used a bag from either green or silver and closed a Gold, so its a fake.

Correct. There were people trying to claim there were bagged editions of the 2nd print Gold going back to shortly after it came out. There were not.

The green bag has no printed price, while the silver bag has a $2 price printed.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

23 hours ago, Ladic said:

22 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Correct. There were people trying to claim there were bagged editions of the 2nd print Gold going back to shortly after it came out. There were not.

The green bag has no printed price, while the silver bag has a $2 price printed.

According to Overstreet you are correct, and MCS is incorrect.

There was a Gold 2nd print (unbagged) with Spidey's head in the UPC box and a Gold 2nd print (unbagged) with a Barcode in the UPC box intended for sale at Walmart. (Supposedly a very low print run)

On 11/10/2019 at 12:54 PM, HerculoidZok said:

Hi,

I realize I'm late to the discussion, but I noticed the comment bolded above.

The problem is that CGC labeled poly-bagged version as "regular":

0154747024_1200.jpg

There's a comment about the poly-bag being removed, but the CGC census shows books like this under the regular Spider-Man #1 counts, not as a poly-bagged edition.

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

0154747024_1200.jpg

There's a comment about the poly-bag being removed, but the CGC census shows books like this under the regular Spider-Man #1 counts, not as a poly-bagged edition.

That is the regular, on the shelf version. The poly-bagged collector's version has "purple" webs.

It's the note that is incorrect on the label, here.

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:
10 minutes ago, valiantman said:

0154747024_1200.jpg

That is the regular, on the shelf version. The poly-bagged collector's version has "purple" webs.

It's the note that is incorrect on the label, here.

That's fun because I also have the purple webs without the poly-bag note:

0706068023_1200.jpg

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

That's fun because I also have the purple webs without the poly-bag note:

0706068023_1200.jpg

Yup. Confusion reigns, because Marvel idiotically made two versions of the "green" cover, without making any obvious distinctions between them, as they did with the silver cover.

Note the two small pieces of missing color at Spidey's right kneecap.