• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 Spider-Man polybagged

32 posts in this topic

Just now, Michael Browning said:
13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Adding to the discussion (from @Michael Browning) there's definitely a gray web, newsstand, bagged Spider-Man #1.

61AD3AF2-E484-43ED-8609-5F2D1EF519C1.jpe

Is the one I found hard to find?

I don't think so, but we were talking about CGC's inconsistency on labeling the bagged vs. non-bagged issues.  I have a slabbed Spider-man #1 direct edition with gray webs that is slabbed as a regular edition but the comments mention a polybag (that @RockMyAmadeus said was never bagged).  I have a direct edition with purple webs that doesn't mention the bag, but it was bagged.  Your picture shows a gray web newsstand edition in a bag, so that adds more confusion to the discussion (and probably more hopelessness to CGC's correct identifications).  lol

33 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't think so, but we were talking about CGC's inconsistency on labeling the bagged vs. non-bagged issues.  I have a slabbed Spider-man #1 direct edition with gray webs that is slabbed as a regular edition but the comments mention a polybag (that @RockMyAmadeus said was never bagged).  I have a direct edition with purple webs that doesn't mention the bag, but it was bagged.  Your picture shows a gray web newsstand edition in a bag, so that adds more confusion to the discussion (and probably more hopelessness to CGC's correct identifications).  lol

I think...and I can't prove this, now, this is just based on experience and observation...that it's reasonable to assume that the Direct PURPLE webs were the bagged versions, and the DIrect GRAY webs were the "regular, on the rack" version. There was discussion about this at the time of publication or shortly thereafter. My OO Direct bagged copies are purple and my OO Direct "on the stands" copies are gray. 

I have 50 regular copies that came from store stock...all Direct, all gray webs.

The unknown quantity is the newsstand bagged edition. They apparently DID get produced (though why is a good question), but they're not purple...they're gray.

I didn't go to the newsstand for these, so I just can't say.

54 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I think...and I can't prove this, now, this is just based on experience and observation...that it's reasonable to assume that the Direct PURPLE webs were the bagged versions, and the DIrect GRAY webs were the "regular, on the rack" version. There was discussion about this at the time of publication or shortly thereafter. My OO Direct bagged copies are purple and my OO Direct "on the stands" copies are gray. 

I have 50 regular copies that came from store stock...all Direct, all gray webs.

The unknown quantity is the newsstand bagged edition. They apparently DID get produced (though why is a good question), but they're not purple...they're gray.

I didn't go to the newsstand for these, so I just can't say.

I remember buying at a grocery store (newsstand) and not getting mine from a comic shop, but I don't actually know where that original owner copy is... or if I would have picked up more raw copies anywhere in the 30 years since.  The photo of the bagged newsstand matches my memory of the one I bought at the time, but my memory isn't clear on the color of the webs, so I'm assuming my newsstand looks like Michael's with gray webs.

On 2/13/2020 at 4:00 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yup. Confusion reigns, because Marvel idiotically made two versions of the "green" cover, without making any obvious distinctions between them, as they did with the silver cover.

Note the two small pieces of missing color at Spidey's right kneecap.

Confusion is correct. After having been instructed by CGC to remove the poly-bag only to have it signed and graded as NOT a poly-bagged edition, i contacted customer support and actually talked to the initial person who instructed me to remove the bag (before submitting). He sent a shipping label to send it back. But now I get another email from their Receiving department saying they confirmed with their graders and verification team that the book is not the poly-bagged edition. They will send it back with no modifications to the label... So frustrating!

I'm a bit late to this post, but I though't I'd share my copy that I sent to be signed by Todd.

I was also unsure about the poly-bag at first, but obviously sent the book to be signed and graded without the bag.

The book had the tell-tale crease on the back cover, but got it pressed by CGC before slabbing and you can't see the crease at all now.

The grade was lower than I was hoping.  The book seemed in very good condition to me, and using the Overstreet Grading Guide I was really hoping for a 9.8

Wasn't sure if they marked down for the lack of poly-bag? Or I've probably just missed a small defect on the book.

20200227_003619.jpg