• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ACTION # 1 CGC NG COMPLETE 129,900.00 BIN A NEW REALITY OR INSANITY?

56 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACTION-COMICS-1-FIRST-APPEARANCE-OF-SUPERMAN-UNIVERSAL-UNRESTORED-HOLY-GRAIL/193174618878?hash=item2cfa1ac2fe:g:vxoAAOSwYItcyTZk

TEXT FROM THE LISTING: There is no comic book more highly regarded than this one... It it the undisputed king of the Grails. It features the first appearance of Superman, including his origin story of being sent to earth from a dying planet. Moreover, this is the first Super Hero comic book ever and many consider this book started the Golden Age. A world record sale for a comic was set with this very book in it's best grade 9.0, making it the most valuable book in existence. There are believed to be somewhere in the ballpark of 50-100 copies of Action Comics #1 and only 40 of those in the CGC Census are unrestored. The first page alone last year sold for over $25.5K and was brittle pages! To date, the first 4 pages have been auctioned over the last year for roughly $50K and page 5 with the cover panel is being auctioned this December, still leaving 2 more superman pages, and 25 more pages including the centerfold. Non Superman pages have sold for $2K+ and are being offered here on ebay for well over this amount. Do the math, there are 7 Superman pages, and another 25 pages including the centerfold valued in the $2-3k range, which more than justifies the BIN price. This book, less the cover, is otherwise complete and is very presentable with cream to off-white pages. Though less the cover, it's almost another comic within a comic showing the transformation of Kal-El to Superman all through the first page slab. Keep as is, or if you're able to find a cover you now have yourself a quarter million on up book in today's market. 
Edited by Frank Mozz

47 minutes ago, dinesh_s said:

I think it's worth significantly under $100k personally.

Wondering what makes you think that? Based on what? The seller put up some legit prices for individual pages that have recorded sales. Also when you say considerable less what is that number? 25/50/75?

Edited by Frank Mozz

5 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

Wondering what makes you think that? Based on what? The seller put up some legit prices for individual pages that have recorded sales. Also when you say considerable less what is that number? 25/50/75?

Sorry, should have added more detail. I know there's not a lot of recent data under 3.0 for this book as it sells so infrequently but I'd imagine anyone wanting to spend $100k will want a cover in some form. I could be totally wrong here or it could be trying to justify turning down a copy last year in the same shape for 85k but I feel like the market for this book is under 50k for incomplete copies and then a big jump for copies with covers.

46 minutes ago, dinesh_s said:

Sorry, should have added more detail. I know there's not a lot of recent data under 3.0 for this book as it sells so infrequently but I'd imagine anyone wanting to spend $100k will want a cover in some form. I could be totally wrong here or it could be trying to justify turning down a copy last year in the same shape for 85k but I feel like the market for this book is under 50k for incomplete copies and then a big jump for copies with covers.

I have to be honest based what Iv seen the days of 50K or even 75K are Looooooog gone do I think this could be a mid 80s yep ( in fact this went for 80+ last year on bids on ebay on a very bad auction) but just as easily could do 100k tomorrow and it would not surprise anyone imho, supple and demand and all that :)

Edited by Frank Mozz

50 minutes ago, Frank Mozz said:

I have to be honest based what Iv seen the days of 50K or even 75K are Looooooog gone do I think this could be a mid 80s yep ( in fact this went for 80+ last year on bids on ebay on a very bad auction) but just as easily could do 100k tomorrow and it would not surprise anyone imho, supple and demand and all that :)

Yeah. Loooong gone is right. Nice presenting c/c Action 1 is 100k.  Nice presenting c/c Tec 27 is 80k I’d say.  

Tec 27 I would put at 80k for cream off white or better maybe even 100k.

At this point when it comes to AC & Tec 27 its apples to apples ( god knows we have had enough post about which one is the one) but either are the ultimate GA grails for most collectors and will continue to go up as long as the top keeps going up.

9 hours ago, dinesh_s said:

Oh wow. Had no idea a coverless would have so many takers at or close to 100k. I stand corrected

I know this take the post a little to the left or right ( no politics here) but WHAT IF:  NOV 12th 2009 " I POSTED/PREDICT IN 10 YEARS A COVERLESS COPY OF ACTION 1 WILL BE WORTH 100K could you imagine the response? Let's be honest who in their right mind would have thought the day would come when one or even two comics ( I still think the right Tec 27 does the same) would be legit 100k contenders? WOW right? I mean you realize that in some parts of this country that's a decent house, a badass muscle car, a solid 401K & a whole lot of other cool real world s#it, Just blows my mind!

Edited by Frank Mozz