• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Records Marvel Comics
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Neither in my opinion. They are after the event, repackaged reprints of the original books. Not variants, not second printings. Marvel Tales reprints ASM #1. It is neither a second printing of ASM #1 or a variant. It is Marvel Tales. The GRRs are just that. Reprints for Golden Records. 

Those books were printed and sold as a set with a record that read the story to you as you followed along in the book.

They are a recognized reprint and have the same title/cover as the original with no cover price or advertisements on the interior pages.

The book/record sets were released in 1966.

As far as I am concerned they are a viable, lower cost replacement (depending on what you consider low cost these days) from the original if you are looking to complete your runs.

https://www.keycollectorcomics.com/category/golden-record-reprints,883/issues/

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

They are after the event, repackaged reprints of the original books.  Marvel Tales reprints ASM #1. It is neither a second printing of ASM #1 or a variant. It is Marvel Tales. The GRRs are just that. Reprints for Golden Records. 

Small correction: 'Marvel Tales' #1 reprints AF #15. Plus the GRR have totally different back covers compared to SA Marvel keys.

37 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:
4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

They are after the event, repackaged reprints of the original books.  Marvel Tales reprints ASM #1. It is neither a second printing of ASM #1 or a variant. It is Marvel Tales. The GRRs are just that. Reprints for Golden Records. 

Small correction: 'Marvel Tales' #1 reprints AF #15. Plus the GRR have totally different back covers compared to SA Marvel keys.

Small correction of my own, I didn't say Marvel Tales #1, I said Marvel Tales (the title). The title has reprinted ASM #1 a few times. Sorry if I wasn't clear. 

As well as the different back covers, the GRRs also have different interiors and no cover prices / numbers / months:

1GRR.thumb.jpg.faac275dd5d81780e7710b907340c83f.jpg  1p.thumb.jpg.45318c427d4aa7bc31d0616f4ba89c77.jpg

1GRRb.thumb.jpg.c6e38020a5962a1d662a18abedb073b8.jpg  1pb.thumb.jpg.5c2f2a278ee61188f3e42a3bd6026e51.jpg

5 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I still think they're superior to most reprints because they really do look like the originals.with some small differences that many people wouldn't even notice. 

Marvel Germany released a nice set of reprints in the late 90s that look great from a distance. Unfortunately, the cover text is in German.

On 11/11/2019 at 4:39 AM, APDallas said:

Here is food for thought. I've been thinking of getting the Golden Record versions of the various Marvel Comics and it is generally acknowledged that they are reprints. The question is are they really second prints or variants? 

I bought these new...during that time they were considered reprints with little value other than you can put one in your collection as a substitute if you did not have the issue which were hard to get at point. As they stayed in record stores for 5 years or so..it was at the tail end that collectors began to buy them up as the reprint became more valuable than 1.99 they were charging and the record by the way was terrible.