• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It was either this or a Secret Wars #8

9 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

A very nice start!  Some great Bill Everett work in that one.

I actually prefer lower grade books when it comes to Golden Age; they're more affordable and you can actually read them without being terrified you'll drop the value.

Thanks.  Yeah it’s kind of a mini key because it was the title rename issue. Agree with you about the low-grade stuff. My Skill at grading the lower grade material might actually prove useful here. I did learn with some pulps that I picked up recently that it’s more important to pay attention to paper quality lest I end up with a Mylar bag filled with paper chips.  So I guess I’m trading my fear of lowering the grade for a fear that the book will fall apart.

Edited by Westy Steve

7 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

I’ve been trying to avoid buying overpriced books. Movie hype has me avoiding so many books right now that I was losing interest in the hobby.  I just snagged a couple ECs at my last show and got this at my LCS over the weekend.  I’ve dabbled with GA in the past but it was almost cathartic to buy this scruffy book for about the same cost as a NM- Secret Wars #8.   So many of those out there!  

Anyway, consider me on the bandwagon for now.   I got so much satisfaction from buying this book compared to the silver or bronze book I could have bought with so little funds. 

F8932CB6-F06F-450D-8569-188E43BE9460.jpeg

You’ve chosen well, sir!  (thumbsu

Nice Bill Everett classic and MUCH better than Secret Wars #8!!!

And, what is all this talk about prefering low grade books because you are worried about damaging them? I have handled and read even my raw Church/Mile High books several times. Just got to do it carefully. There is nothing like opening and smelling a Church book. See the wet dripping, glossy inks. Just be careful.

The problem I have is affording them anymore...:roflmao: