• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 1 - pressing candidate?
3 3

30 posts in this topic

I recently posted this in the grading forum and someone suggested getting pressed before submission. In my view, the only pressable flaws are the moisture ripples on the back edge (probably from sweaty kid's fingers in the 60s). I would think that the other wear and tear would keep the book in the Good range and pressing out those ripples wouldn't make a grade difference. Am I wrong?

61671347_Hulk01web.thumb.jpg.08233d59f2db92cfb6f73a2887937b0c.jpg

1404824176_Hulk01backweb.thumb.jpg.7c8d4973e088bba213dffa220523bfbc.jpg

Personally, I like this book just the way it is. The wear actually tells a story. It's a great example of a key Silver Age Marvel!  (thumbsu

Of course, CCS can evaluate the book to determine if it's a good candidate for pressing, and pressing can remove indents and bends that don't break color. But there's always a risk involved, especially with older, more fragile books. 

28 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Personally, I like this book just the way it is. The wear actually tells a story. It's a great example of a key Silver Age Marvel!  (thumbsu

Of course, CCS can evaluate the book to determine if it's a good candidate for pressing, and pressing can remove indents and bends that don't break color. But there's always a risk involved, especially with older, more fragile books. 

this exactly I would get a pro to review it as the press could potential help it get a 3.0 if the grade seems more of the in between the 2.5 - 3.0 it could help it reach the 3.0 but I am too much of an amateur to know that but a well reviewed and very experienced pro who has the book in hand could have a better guess. I mean specially for a book in these value each grade bump helps the value a lot. but as Lion mentioned there are risks as well. 

also did you check it for tears sealed I am not a pro at recognizing it in pics but I would take a loupe to those tears specially in the back cover. near the top. As it sounds like your not the Original owner. 

1 minute ago, Krismusic said:

also did you check it for tears sealed I am not a pro at recognizing it in pics but I would take a loupe to those tears specially in the back cover. near the top. As it sounds like your not the Original owner. 

(thumbsu

Yup. I've been over it with magnifier and 50x Proscope. The tears on the back are open... no glue.

7 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

this exactly I would get a pro to review it as the press could potential help it get a 3.0 if the grade seems more of the in between the 2.5 - 3.0 it could help it reach the 3.0 but I am too much of an amateur to know that but a well reviewed and very experienced pro who has the book in hand could have a better guess. I mean specially for a book in these value each grade bump helps the value a lot. but as Lion mentioned there are risks as well. 

I think this is good advice. I am not inclined to press, but I don't want to be a fool either because a .5 difference on this book makes a big difference.

I also don't want to be shipping it around the country more than necessary. Perhaps I will use the CGC screening service. Not cheap for this book, but it will take the guesswork out of it.

1 minute ago, Mr. Zipper said:

(thumbsu

Yup. I've been over it with magnifier and 50x Proscope. The tears on the back are open... no glue.

There are no overt tells of revision or for repair/tear closure, on the back cover or front.

Personally, I don't think a press will mollify any of the flaked creases. The image doesn't afford detecting any puffiness here and there, but if there are areas that don't lie precisely flat, a press will help rectify that and may coax an extra .5 out of the grade finding. Good luck! It's a nice book that presents well and has great color. (thumbsu

4 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

I think this is good advice. I am not inclined to press, but I don't want to be a fool either because a .5 difference on this book makes a big difference.

I also don't want to be shipping it around the country more than necessary. Perhaps I will use the CGC screening service. Not cheap for this book, but it will take the guesswork out of it.

Even if 3.0, this book has the type of eye appeal and presentation, especially compared to most 1s in the 2.5 to 3.5 range, that i'm sure it will result in mid 4.0/low 4.5 price range territory.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

definitely a good choice to have someone look at it. Best of luck.. book looks nice.. 

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Even if 3.0, this book has the type of eye appeal and presentation, especially compared to most 1s in the 2.5 to 3.5 range, that i'm sure it will result in mid 4.0/low 4.5 price range territory.

I dont think it could get that high he mentioned the spine split as well; Doesn't that many bends creases and spine split hit it hard to keep it away from 4.5 territory?

Edited by Krismusic

8 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I dont think it could get that high he mentioned the spine split as well; Doesn't that many bends creases and spine split hit it hard to keep it away from 4.5 territory?

No, not the grade. The price result. The auction result for a Hulk 1 that presents this well with this great color and no chips will transcend the probable technical 3.0 grade that it will receive.

19 minutes ago, Tempus Fugit said:

Pressed books with a lot of color breaks look like books with a lot of color breaks that got pressed.

They appear unnatural to me and are a big turn-off.

My opinion of course. 

Yes, but there are pleats on the left back cover edge that will definitely improved by a press and revision of those alone will probably cause a .5 grade benefit.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Yes, but there are pleats on the left back cover edge that will definitely improved by a press and revision of those alone will probably cause a .5 grade benefit.

I can't argue with the grade bump, I am just not into books that are obviously pressed.

Just now, Tempus Fugit said:

I can't argue with the grade bump, I am just not into books that are obviously pressed.

A book with this many fractured creases? The only way pressing will be evident is if too much heat + too much moisture + too much pressure and duration tranfers/lifts off some of the cover inks to the release material.