• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Comic Value Help Needed

12 posts in this topic

So about a week ago I had a comic of mine stolen. Specifically it was an Action Comics 252 (1st app of Supergirl) CGC 3.5. I’ve done as much as I can to try to find it in the meantime, but have had no such luck. I have since filed a claim through my insurance in hopes to at least recoup some of the value of the book. With that being said, the deductible cuts into it a bit. I had been trying to obtain an appraisal, but it’s been hard seeing how I don’t have the book in hand. I was able to find one person who was willing, but gave a figure of $1050 for the book. In my honest (unprofessional) opinion, I believe that is a bit low. I see the average sale from the last 2 years is $1228, with some copies going for as much as $1450 over that time span. I’m wondering if you guys think I should hold off and try to find to find someone else to appraise it, as the insurance company need some sort of documentation to move forward with the process. Ideally I would like to replace my copy with a decent one, albeit I know it won’t be as nice as the one that was stolen from me. I know there are a lot of vendors on here with professional backgrounds and was wondering if there may be any way that you could generate an appraisal for me, that goes in line with recent comps. I know it’s asking a lot, but I figured it’s worth a shot. Either way, I appreciate all this community has done for my so far. You’ve all shown more support than I could have ever asked for! Thanks in advance for anyone who could possibly help. 

i have also attached a pic for reference. 

764E4653-1CFC-46F6-BE2C-1604FD3DCEC8.png

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

If it helps I can take a screen shot of recorded GPA sales of a 3.5.  

LMK and I will take a screen shot and drop it to you in PM. 

2 people did already in this thread, he may have more questions since he started this thread too. Not sure...

12 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

That should certainly help establish the claim...

I would have thought so. They’re looking for stated value with documentation from a reputable source.

i honestly dont think the woman I spoke to knows much about anything. I tried explaining in the best way possible that completed sales are going to give us the best idea of value. 

19 minutes ago, Yanksfan0134 said:

I would have thought so. They’re looking for stated value with documentation from a reputable source.

i honestly dont think the woman I spoke to knows much about anything. I tried explaining in the best way possible that completed sales are going to give us the best idea of value. 

maybe get a comic shop to write a letter stating the value.  here ya go-expert in field has valuated this.  Maybe that will fulfill their primitive understanding.

I think GPA is your best source of FMV.   

Off the top of my head $1,050 seems a little low.  I would think $1,200 would be more in line.

Obviously, with comics, there are numerous factors beyond simple CGC grade that can move the price up or down from another CGC copy with the same technical grade.  

So sorry to read about your book being stolen, hopefully you get the book back or FMV so it can be replaced.  :wishluck:

I am assuming from what I read that you are insured through your homeowners?  (shrug)

When this is done and over with you may want to consider...

https://collectinsure.com/?gclid=CJu3heLP8cUCFYuPHwod4kgAww

you might be able to get GPA average price to be the FMV or you can tell them it would probably go for the higher value based on eye appeal. 

Best of luck. Sorry your book was stolen.

4 hours ago, Krismusic said:

you might be able to get GPA average price to be the FMV or you can tell them it would probably go for the higher value based on eye appeal. 

Best of luck. Sorry your book was stolen.

You might be able to get GPA average, question is which average they would want.  90 days?  Year? 5 year?  Good luck convincing the insurance company yours is worth more based on eye appeal (even if that is the truth).

15 hours ago, thunsicker said:

You might be able to get GPA average, question is which average they would want.  90 days?  Year? 5 year?  Good luck convincing the insurance company yours is worth more based on eye appeal (even if that is the truth).

oh yeah, chances are you might be able to get GPA average I would see 90 days being the one they would use as its the recent FMV for it but they might want to use the 1 year and say that's a stable price over a varied length of time. I guess he could argue that if I wanted to be able to re purchase his book he would need the closer to 90 day average. Not sure what insurance he is using or has.. 

Anyways best of luck..