• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Death of the Classic Storyline As a Collectible

105 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Sub-Mariner 1 is my proof.  Why would anyone pay $200 for a midgrade copy of an ice cold title that jumps into the middle of a storyline with a forgettable antagonist?  No one who's paying that has any idea what's going on in that book.

It has a cool cover and its a "number 1".  That's about it.

I've made the point before that I think TTA 70 is a much better book to buy if you like Submariner.  You can get it for about 1/10th the price of the #1 in VG+ ish condition.  Heck, you can buy a decent chunk of his TTA run instead of the #1.  That seems like a better use of my money than dumping a few hundred dollars into a very lackluster "key" that is suddenly hot.

3 hours ago, Hamlet said:

It has a cool cover and its a "number 1".  That's about it.

I've made the point before that I think TTA 70 is a much better book to buy if you like Submariner.  You can get it for about 1/10th the price of the #1 in VG+ ish condition.  Heck, you can buy a decent chunk of his TTA run instead of the #1.  That seems like a better use of my money than dumping a few hundred dollars into a very lackluster "key" that is suddenly hot.

Or buy Subby 2-14 for about the same price . . . :whistle:

Just going through some spideys..  Yup, folks don't care about plotline movers. 151...used to be a big deal, now nobody cares. 155... pp proposes to mj, nobody cares (in all fairness, nobody ever cared about that issue, probably due to the mehhhhh cover)

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Just going through some spideys..  Yup, folks don't care about plotline movers. 151...used to be a big deal, now nobody cares. 155... pp proposes to mj, nobody cares (in all fairness, nobody ever cared about that issue, probably due to the mehhhhh cover)

When was 151 a big deal?  I seem to remember that it was kinda expensive in very high grade at some point, but I don't really remember much about it otherwise.  I should probably read mine and see what is in it, since I don't think I've read it since I got it 25-30 years ago.

I've always considered 153 as one of the best Spidey issues.  I re-read that one periodically.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:12 AM, devald said:

Agree!!!  Thankfully there are still people looking for classic stories. Had someone pull a set of Crisis on Infinite Earths and then ask for Secret Wars issues (not 8) at a recent show. A different person bought my Kingdom Come 1-4 set.

Thought this group would enjoy this collector https://collectinsure.com/collectors-corner
additional details & pics https://comicspectrum.com/guinness-record

To be fair, Kingdom Come are arguably keys.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:23 PM, valiantman said:

Two reasons:

1) Other major collectibles similar to comics don't have "content".  They have first appearances (rookie cards) and they have scarcity (coins).

2) Content collecting requires deeper knowledge of the stories and the (correct) interpretations of what is important. 

Everyone goes to kindergarten (first appearances) and most people learn fractions (scarcity), but few people take Calculus II (combined understanding of fundamental concepts for more complex applications). 

Sigh...everyone should get to calculus ii and beyond...mathematics rigor in this country is so disappointing...

On 11/18/2019 at 10:14 AM, the blob said:

Long before ebay 151 popped (relatively) with all the clone stuff.

This. ASM # 149-151 (first Ben Reilly / Spider-Man clone storyline) became a big deal back in 1995-96, when Ben Reilly temporarily replaced Peter Parker in all the titles. This storyline was so ridiculous that it led to me -- and many others -- dropping all the Spidey titles.

On 11/21/2019 at 4:40 PM, Gatsby77 said:

This. ASM # 149-151 (first Ben Reilly / Spider-Man clone storyline) became a big deal back in 1995-96, when Ben Reilly temporarily replaced Peter Parker in all the titles. This storyline was so ridiculous that it led to me -- and many others -- dropping all the Spidey titles.

I had already stopped reading it by that point, since I was busy with college, but the storlyline that made me quit, after picking up reading again some time later, was One More Day/Brand New Day.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I had already stopped reading it by that point, since I was busy with college, but the storlyline that made me quit, after picking up reading again some time later, was One More Day/Brand New Day.

Yeah - I've heard One More Day was worse but it was a generation later and I was long out of reading monthly books. I've seen the seriously offensive panel, however. Hard to justify despite how much I otherwise love(d) Bendis.

Then again, Kevin Smith came in with his short run on Daredevil & killed Karen Page. doh!

Edited by Gatsby77

Swamp Thing 21 was Gooooodddddd!

"Warm, large plops of rain litter the sidewalk."   "I left the chess board until all the pieces turned to sad blue dust." (The latter is from whatever Swamp Thing were he goes to other worlds. 

Edited by NoMan

On 11/14/2019 at 4:37 AM, FineCollector said:

Yup.  Go wander around Facebook comic forums if you want to be demoralized.  They're not reading jack.  New collectors have fully embraced that "quality over quantity" garbage that people here have been spouting.  "No space, I only keep the important ones", right?  Well, the newbies have been listening, so now they're only chasing price tags, without any context of what's going on in the book.  They'll buy anything with "1st" attached to it, just to post a picture of their wall of mixed junk, hoping it has more nice price tags than the next guy's junk.  The books themselves are meaningless to them, they offer their books as trade fodder for something with a bigger price sticker.  These guys have been collecting less than 5 years, are afraid to handle their books outside a bag and board, dont know how to grade, cant detect resto, but are now controlling prices in the market because they're spending money that wise collectors would not spend.

Ouch.

On 11/14/2019 at 7:37 AM, FineCollector said:

Yup.  Go wander around Facebook comic forums if you want to be demoralized.  They're not reading jack.  New collectors have fully embraced that "quality over quantity" garbage that people here have been spouting.  "No space, I only keep the important ones", right?  Well, the newbies have been listening, so now they're only chasing price tags, without any context of what's going on in the book.  They'll buy anything with "1st" attached to it, just to post a picture of their wall of mixed junk, hoping it has more nice price tags than the next guy's junk.  The books themselves are meaningless to them, they offer their books as trade fodder for something with a bigger price sticker.  These guys have been collecting less than 5 years, are afraid to handle their books outside a bag and board, dont know how to grade, cant detect resto, but are now controlling prices in the market because they're spending money that wise collectors would not spend.

Sub-Mariner 1 is my proof.  Why would anyone pay $200 for a midgrade copy of an ice cold title that jumps into the middle of a storyline with a forgettable antagonist?  No one who's paying that has any idea what's going on in that book.

We're happy to sell, of course, but when these guys fizzle out, we have to teach the newcomers to appreciate the medium, and not just treat it like day trading.

Do you tell those millenials to get off your damn lawn???

On 11/24/2019 at 6:42 PM, the blob said:

Do you tell those millenials to get off your damn lawn???

Yeah, and the mods keep muting me.  You're allowed to post pictures of keys, but not allowed to warn people when they're wasting their money on a garbage spec book.

On 11/25/2019 at 6:14 PM, FineCollector said:

Yeah, and the mods keep muting me.  You're allowed to post pictures of keys, but not allowed to warn people when they're wasting their money on a garbage spec book.

Interesting.