• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Marvel Manufacturing Defects?

10 posts in this topic

Hi Folks. I've recently acquired two books (from different sources) both from April 1968, that have similarly cut right sides of the cover. Neither are perfectly straight. They look a little "rough" in spots. The books are Captain America 100, and Iron Man and Sub-Mariner 1. At first I was afraid that the Cap may have been trimmed poorly but it actually looks more like a manufacturing defect. The covers themselves aren't as bad as the interior pages. Similar to Marvel chipping, it appears as though the blades were maybe not sharp enough and didn't cut cleanly. My two questions are, is this a known defect on books of that specific time? and if it is known, how does CGC handle it with grading? Thanks for any help!

On 11/12/2019 at 7:48 AM, the_drummer said:

Hi Folks. I've recently acquired two books (from different sources) both from April 1968, that have similarly cut right sides of the cover. Neither are perfectly straight. They look a little "rough" in spots. The books are Captain America 100, and Iron Man and Sub-Mariner 1. At first I was afraid that the Cap may have been trimmed poorly but it actually looks more like a manufacturing defect. The covers themselves aren't as bad as the interior pages. Similar to Marvel chipping, it appears as though the blades were maybe not sharp enough and didn't cut cleanly. My two questions are, is this a known defect on books of that specific time? and if it is known, how does CGC handle it with grading? Thanks for any help!

Both of these books can have a chip or a Pre-marvel chip that goes side to side on the back cover more towards the top 1/3 of the back.  Always in the same place and if you've seen enough of these issues you can tell right away if they have it or not.