• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYC Comic Art Con/Expo
2 2

58 posts in this topic

OK collector peers, it's a one day con -Saturday, would anyone plan hang out on Saturday night? I went to a Sunday show and afterwards there were just a few of us left to exchange stories etc... perhaps with the show being Saturday, it might be different. Maybe some deals might even happen after a round or two ; )

Edited by gumbydarnit

36 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Let me add my name to the list of people who wish they were spaced out better. If there are 2 in NJ every year, 1 large NY Comicon typically in early October, and 1 art con in NY, can’t they be spaced roughly 3 months apart?

They could be spaced roughly 3 months apart if they were all run by the same organizers, but, since they're not, and with the NJ Comic Art Con organizers putting on an extra show in NYC last summer in an apparent bid for art con supremacy over the NY Comic Art Expo organizers, it doesn't look like we should expect any cooperation/coordination on scheduling anytime soon. 2c 

For the love of art.. can't we all just get along!

Just kidding of course, they can run their show(s) however they want, I'll just pick one and book a flight.

As an art fan/collector are these shows a better option than New York Comic Con?  

Edited by gumbydarnit

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

They could be spaced roughly 3 months apart if they were all run by the same organizers, but, since they're not, and with the NJ Comic Art Con organizers putting on an extra show in NYC last summer in an apparent bid for art con supremacy over the NY Comic Art Expo organizers, it doesn't look like we should expect any cooperation/coordination on scheduling anytime soon. 2c 

What you are saying is, sadly, likely true. One would think that instead of pirating potential visitors with tight scheduling, they would cooperate to maintain a consistent level of interest throughout the year. Seems like a better business practice, don't you think?

4 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

As an art fan/collector are these shows a better option than New York Comic Con?  

I don't think so. The Comic Con has an excellent Artist's Alley. I spent 2 days at the show, and maybe, 90 minutes upstairs looking at the exhibitors's wares (which were chock full of toys, memorabilia and other collectable junk, besides comics and art). The art shows have a specialized focus, but they aren't really as much fun.

But, I would definitely go to both.

These smaller shows allow for private collectors to set up at the show, (including me, Nelson Animated Ink).  At this time, I only set up at NY since I am local and it's convenient.  Where do you think dealers get new inventory from?  

These focused shows allow you to shop and browse in a more relaxed atmosphere and not deal with the crowds and NYCC's frustrating ticket buying policy. 

With that said, I enjoy going to all shows for different reasons.  At NYCC, I have other interests than just art.

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

22 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

I think no. Most of the same dealers show up to both (except Spencer), but as Rick pointed out, NYCC has a massive Artist's Alley. So for the budding or intermediate collector, you are better off at NYCC. But Nelson's points in favor of the smaller shows are true as well -- particularly the lack of crowds! Gah!

23 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Let me add my name to the list of people who wish they were spaced out better. If there are 2 in NJ every year, 1 large NY Comicon typically in early October, and 1 art con in NY, can’t they be spaced roughly 3 months apart?

I think there is room between October and March -- maybe a Dec/Jan show in NY. That's more open than the crowded Spring season.

28 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I think there is room between October and March -- maybe a Dec/Jan show in NY. That's more open than the crowded Spring season.

I think we have enough shows as it is!  

In 2018, we had 3 Comic Art Cons (2 in NJ and 1 in NYC), 1 Comic Art Expo and the NYCC.  In 2019, we had the same except 1 less Comic Art Con.  I only made it to 2 of the 5 shows in 2018 and to 1 of the 4 shows in 2019.

But, there are also the Carbonaro shows (I think he still does at least 1 a year), the East Coast Comic Con, Wintercon, etc. in the NYC/NJ area, and lots more shows in nearby states.  Plus, a lot of people are now going to the L.A. art shows and of course SDCC and all the dozens of other shows around the country and globe.     

We're an aging hobby!!  I've already witnessed first-hand attendance dropping among the OA collector regulars at SDCC in recent years.  The last thing we need is even more shows IMO - I feel like they're just going to continue to cannibalize attendance from the existing shows on the schedule, far outweighing the benefit to the small number of people who would benefit from adding another date or two to the calendar. 2c 

Edited by delekkerste

16 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about Big Apple. lol Many dealers are there too.

I was just thinking either of the NY or NJ shows could move from Spring to Winter. That might space it out a bit.

If memory serves me, January is unoccupied.

26 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

We're an aging hobby!!  I've already witnessed first-hand attendance dropping among the OA collector regulars at SDCC in recent years.  The last thing we need is even more shows IMO - I feel like they're just going to continue to cannibalize attendance from the existing shows on the schedule, far outweighing the benefit to the small number of people who would benefit from adding another date or two to the calendar. 2c 

It would be nice if all the shows weren't in either LA or NYC ha ha. Some, many even, just do not travel ("aging hobby", lol, for sure). Let the dealers go on tour, not the other way around. Or should we all go to Boston for on single show the next Aerosmith reunion "tour"?!

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

I think we have enough shows as it is!  

In 2018, we had 3 Comic Art Cons (2 in NJ and 1 in NYC), 1 Comic Art Expo and the NYCC.  In 2019, we had the same except 1 less Comic Art Con.  I only made it to 2 of the 5 shows in 2018 and to 1 of the 4 shows in 2019.

But, there are also the Carbonaro shows (I think he still does at least 1 a year), the East Coast Comic Con, Wintercon, etc. in the NYC/NJ area, and lots more shows in nearby states.  Plus, a lot of people are now going to the L.A. art shows and of course SDCC and all the dozens of other shows around the country and globe.     

Gene is right.

As an art dealer who has been exhibiting at SD for over 40 years, longer than any other art dealer, I have seen the gradual decline in attendance at the show of those interested in buying art.

Many factors weigh in, not the least being difficulty getting into the show.

For the last few years, it's been the usual suspects, mostly dealers, pseudo dealers, collectors who deal, who flock around around my booth like vultures waiting for the kill. I would rather see more collectors at my booth waiting to buy.

However with the internet, especially for the last couple years, I have sold more from my site during the show, than at the show. No new buyers. The people who bought from me at the show would have bought through my site at the show.

Which brings me to my next dilemma. Do I continue going to the show, spending all that money, in my senior years, or just do the internet?
Will I still get the same amount of consignments if I don't go? I just don't feel the necessity of physically having to be there, or at any show for that matter.

So, I'm on the fence about going to SD next year. I have the booth, but do I want the hassle? Besides I get incredibly ill every year the day after I return from diseased bastards on the plane.

MI

4 hours ago, vodou said:

It would be nice if all the shows weren't in either LA or NYC ha ha. Some, many even, just do not travel ("aging hobby", lol, for sure). Let the dealers go on tour, not the other way around. Or should we all go to Boston for on single show the next Aerosmith reunion "tour"?!

Second that. I’m in San Diego, but LA might as well be across the country. Hate going there. 

4 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

Btw - Carbo will be introducing a new show Dec. 14th at the New Yorker hotel.

Nick and I considered setting up but I think it's a rough go right after HA auctions and right before the holidays.  

Sometimes, it's what space is available for rent.

My biggest complaints with NYC are the parking costs, traffic, and incidentals. Why doesn't someone do a good show in Rockland County, NY which is still relatively empty?