• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYC Comic Art Con/Expo
2 2

58 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

My biggest complaints with NYC are the parking costs, traffic, and incidentals. Why doesn't someone do a good show in Rockland County, NY which is still relatively empty?

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you live at/near Rockland County.

I vote for Moraga, CA.

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you live at/near Rockland County.

I vote for Moraga, CA.

Not that close. Hasbrouck Heights, NJ is more convenient actually. But I would rather go to Rockland than Manhattan. Frankly, when it comes to commuting, I would rather go to Hell than Manhattan.

Edited by Rick2you2

7 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

You should check out east coast comic Con then, they usually have a pretty good guest list, a few oa dealers and the crowds are down right reasonable.

I go every year; I like it. I also went to Wintercon in Queens last year, but was disappointed. 

The more successful shows in NYC recognize that most NYers do not own a car and rely on public transportation.

Since the days of Creation (Con) and Phil Seuling's shows, the transportation hub around West 34th Street / Penn Station have been key.

Easily accessible by subway, bus, LIRR (Long Island suburbs), NJ Transit and nearby Metro North trains.

Even the East Coast Con in NJ is easily accessible by bus from Times Square Port Authority.

Maximum attendees means more $ for promoters which is why shows will continue to be located near midtown Manhattan or transportation hubs.

The NJ show dates are now posted on the Comic Art Con website: https://www.veteriproductions.com/comic-art-con

Sunday March 29  and Saturday September 12

So it looks like we have a good spacing between NJ and NYC shows this year. NYC Comic Art Expo is Saturday May 2 (The NYC Comic Art Expo site- https://comicartexpo.com).  I like there are 2 of the shows on Saturdays, might lend to a better opportunity to hang out and talk art after the shows, instead of everyone packing up and heading out immediately show on Sunday.

The NYC Comic Art Expo site- https://comicartexpo.com

I will probably hit one and might also try to make my first ever Heroes Con in Charlotte -https://www.heroesonline.com/heroescon/

6 hours ago, gumbydarnit said:

The NJ show dates are now posted on the Comic Art Con website: https://www.veteriproductions.com/comic-art-con

Sunday March 29  and Saturday September 12

So it looks like we have a good spacing between NJ and NYC shows this year. NYC Comic Art Expo is Saturday May 2 (The NYC Comic Art Expo site- https://comicartexpo.com).  I like there are 2 of the shows on Saturdays, might lend to a better opportunity to hang out and talk art after the shows, instead of everyone packing up and heading out immediately show on Sunday.

The NYC Comic Art Expo site- https://comicartexpo.com

I will probably hit one and might also try to make my first ever Heroes Con in Charlotte -https://www.heroesonline.com/heroescon/

Hmmm...Mets 2nd game of the season is the day before the March show....hmmm....

3 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

Maybe we could talk Felix into setting up at one of these shows... sell some art, create some new podcasts, meet your fans you'd kill a lot of birds with one stone.

Without a doubt the key to wider appeal (and less shows, maybe one on each coast each year, or add one cetralized -Ohio, Kansas, Illinois?) is: things that are not already on the internet.

That means art and artists.

Like Mitch.......I'm falling out of love with selling art at conventions.

Before the internet came about...selling and buying art at conventions was ESSENTIAL!!!!  Now...not so much.

I stopped doing the comic-art cons in NJ as i just don't like driving 16 hours round trip and paying for hotels gas and  table fees and travel....... for a 6 hour show.

I told Dan and Joe that  if they made the show a 2 day show (in the spring at least) i'd start going back as i personally feel collectors from Europe an the west coast will make the trip for a 2 day show to work on more deals and not be pressed into that 6 hour only window to doing a deal that sometimes may be take an extra day or 2 to work out if its a bigger art deal....

(This is just my personal opinion and maybe i'm wrong..and that's ok.)

I'm thinking about winding down doing san diego con but I love seeing alot of my west coast friends and friends from europe and asia  so for now i'll keep doing San Diego for now.

As I get older I just enjoy relaxing in the comfort of my own home and scanning art and putting it on my website to sell as its so much more convenient with ZERO hassle. and no fear of art getting stolen or damaged.

i just got my contract for new york comic con this year (October 8-11) and 3 booths now cost over $6600.00!!!

2 booths at san diego are $6000.00 now also!

As silly as this might sound.....if people ever wanted to have a "MIDWEST COMIC ART CON" AT MY HOME IN OHIO with a 10-15 booth show at my house (in 2 rooms) i could probably accommodate!!

DEALER TABLES  WOULD BE FREE..... AND ADMISSION IS FREE..... and i have a golf course right near my home with 50 - 70 parking spaces!!!  :)

Edited by romitaman

2 hours ago, romitaman said:

Like Mitch.......I'm falling out of love with selling art at conventions.

Before the internet came about...selling and buying art at conventions was ESSENTIAL!!!!  Now...not so much.

I stopped doing the comic-art cons in NJ as i just don't like driving 16 hours round trip and paying for hotels gas and  table fees and travel....... for a 6 hour show.

I told Dan and Joe that  if they made the show a 2 day show (in the spring at least) i'd start going back as i personally feel collectors from Europe an the west coast will make the trip for a 2 day show to work on more deals and not be pressed into that 6 hour only window to doing a deal that sometimes may be take an extra day or 2 to work out if its a bigger art deal....

(This is just my personal opinion and maybe i'm wrong..and that's ok.)

I'm thinking about winding down doing san diego con but I love seeing alot of my west coast friends and friends from europe and asia  so for now i'll keep doing San Diego for now.

As I get older I just enjoy relaxing in the comfort of my own home and scanning art and putting it on my website to sell as its so much more convenient with ZERO hassle. and no fear of art getting stolen or damaged.

i just got my contract for new york comic con this year (October 8-11) and 3 booths now cost over $6600.00!!!

2 booths at san diego are $6000.00 now also!

As silly as this might sound.....if people ever wanted to have a "MIDWEST COMIC ART CON" AT MY HOME IN OHIO with a 10-15 booth show at my house (in 2 rooms) i could probably accommodate!!

DEALER TABLES  WOULD BE FREE..... AND ADMISSION IS FREE..... and i have a golf course right near my home with 50 - 70 parking spaces!!!  :)

And I’m at least 10-14 years older than you.
Exhibiting at SD for over 40 years can take a lot of someone.
Mike, let’s see your attitude when you’re exhibiting as long as me. 😁

But I’ll be back at a friends booth in the 1800 aisle. With hopefully a nice selection of stuff as I’ve had these last 40+ years.

On 12/4/2019 at 9:43 AM, gumbydarnit said:

Maybe we could talk Felix into setting up at one of these shows... sell some art, create some new podcasts, meet your fans you'd kill a lot of birds with one stone.

I've been invited, but haven't done one yet. Time is an issue, but more fundamentally, they don't make sense economically for us. Our model has never been about doing shows; we do better (by far) just staying at home. So we really only do shows to meet fellow collectors, and do things like record podcasts. Basically, for the social aspect. Bringing art would be optional.

I sent Zaddick a PM through CGC few few days ago, asking about the status of the NYC Comic Art Expo, since the site doesn't seem to be active and haven't heard anything. I didn't receive a reply back. 

Does anyone know if the show is still on? Any info would be helpful, trying to see if I may need make alternate travel plans to a different convention.

Edited by gumbydarnit