• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting Idea: Ownership of Shares in Comicbooks
1 1

97 posts in this topic

So if a comic is value at $1000

And shares sell at .50

Than there is 2000 shares available and I want to buy ten shares in the comic for $5.00 I own %2 of the product.

So than the product value increases to $2000 my shares are worth $10.00, I understand now, not sure if my math is accurate. Didn't bother to work it out.

Plus its sellers that determine the value, not an actual stock exchange. If there was a solid number where the price of a product didn't have a wide range in value than it could be done, and do the share holders determine if the product should be sold or not?

Edited by Hollywood1892

I had a buddy of mine good friend for like 15 years knows nothing about comics approach me and say he lets find a cool comic book for a few thousand buy it up and sell it a year or 2 later we can split the costs and split whatever it sells for.. 

I didn't do this as what if I wanted to hold on to the book and he wanted to sell it all kinds of variables and scenarios I rather not have to deal with or go down, I think there's a lot of hype as people are starting to recognize that these comics are actually worth some decent money now.. for the hundreds of reasons that have been talked about many times on this forum.

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

So if a comic is value at $1000

And shares sell at .50

Than there is 2000 shares available and I want to buy ten shares in the comic for $5.00 I own %2 of the product.

So than the product value increases to $2000 my shares are worth $10.00, I understand now, not sure if my math is accurate. Didn't bother to work it out.

I think that's the basic understand of it.. but good luck controlling the 2000 (only) shares what stopping them from diluting those shares to 4,000 a month later and your supposedly gain is diluted to the same amount or sell more shares of the initial offering to say 6,000 shares now your 5$ investment is worth 2.50$. 

2 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I think that's the basic understand of it.. but good luck controlling the 2000 (only) shares what stopping them from diluting those shares to 4,000 a month later and your supposedly gain is diluted to the same amount or sell more shares of the initial offering to say 6,000 shares now your 5$ investment is worth 2.50$. 

Exactly.

The comic market is the wild west of business, same with all collectibles

Edited by Hollywood1892

Valid points, I am quite surprised and a little impressed how many investors & shares have been bought out. I think each share is worth $75 and from my understanding after doing a bit of research, it is like the Robinhood of comic books, and it would be registered with the SEC, so legitimate investment. There is a company called Rally RD which does something similar but with collectible cars, and they had a lot of success. So WE SHALL SEE. 

Edited by rclark123

13 minutes ago, rclark123 said:

Valid points, I am quite surprised and a little impressed how many investors & shares have been bought out. I think each share is worth $75 and from my understanding after doing a bit of research, it is like the Robinhood of comic books, and it would be registered with the SEC, so legitimate investment. There is a company called Rally RD which does something similar but with collectible cars, and they had a lot of success. So WE SHALL SEE. 

what do you mean by Robinhood of comics? 

do you mean rob from the rich and give to the poor because of a tyrant lord taxes the poor into poverty? (Disney) version I believe. 

1 minute ago, Krismusic said:

what do you mean by Robinhood of comics? 

do you mean rob from the rich and give to the poor because of a tyrant lord taxes the poor into poverty? (Disney) version I believe. 

haha more like www.robinhood.com

15 minutes ago, rclark123 said:

also if they were registered with the SEC I would then possible give it a go ahead but with no governing body with ethics or moral codes watching over this what's to stop hip comics from doing their investors the ugly and *duck them up? I see articles about a bitcoin exchange having its CEO disappear with all the money and now investors are out millions! 

I've split collections with people, including board members. I've also "invested" set dollar amounts with a dealer where I gave him X for buying stock, with the promise of X plus Y at a given date. If someone I trust approached me about sharing a particular book, I'd give it consideration. 

Do you think dealers own all the books in their inventory, or only one person owns them?

If the person doing this checks out, I'd have no problem investing at the right price. My only issue is there are many better ways to invest my limited capital.

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I've split collections with people, including board members. I've also "invested" set dollar amounts with a dealer where I gave him X for buying stock, with the promise of X plus Y at a given date. If someone I trust approached me about sharing a particular book, I'd give it consideration. 

Do you think dealers own all the books in their inventory, or only one person owns them?

If the person doing this checks out, I'd have no problem investing at the right price. My only issue is there are many better ways to invest my limited capital.

Hmm, yeah I wonder that too. I would think dealers own them? My other question is where would the book be stored? 

6 minutes ago, shadroch said:

that's very trusting and easy going of you... unfortunately now a days people aren't so easy to get along with specially sharing in some sort of investments... what do you do when one person needs that investment back and wants to sell do you have to buy out that person share with x amount of money what if you want to sell later as you think the price would increase later.. how do you resolve that issue? 

what you did sounds more of like a loan than holding shares in a book as you were promied x back at a given date.. not that you had ownership of the book the book was probably more like collateral than ownership.

4 minutes ago, rclark123 said:

Hmm, yeah I wonder that too. I would think dealers own them? My other question is where would the book be stored? 

your other question should be who sells the book when does the book ever sell? how do you sell your share for more money what if you wanted to keep the ownership if the book and the rest decide to buy.. will it ever sell or will you have to constantly need to buy shares? what profit does the person who owns the book ever get.. how does this help a dealer how long does he keep that inventory...

this sounds like the dealer is trying to get additional funds raised such as a loan.. 

So many issues with this concept.  Take the AF 15 for example - who set the $125,000 price tag?  A 7.5 just sold for $120k and it had Off-White pages.  So a Cream 7.0 would be worth what - $90K.  So the owner of this book puts it up on the site and pockets the $125k and then the investors only have a $90K book to show for it.  And then the auction house takes 10% so the book is basically worth $80K and investors ponied up $125K for the privilege of owning a piece of a key book.  It will be awhile for that book to reach $140K so that the investors will even get their money back when it goes up for sale.  So much risk and so little reward it's just foolish.

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

So many issues with this concept.  Take the AF 15 for example - who set the $125,000 price tag?  A 7.5 just sold for $120k and it had Off-White pages.  So a Cream 7.0 would be worth what - $90K.  So the owner of this book puts it up on the site and pockets the $125k and then the investors only have a $90K book to show for it.  And then the auction house takes 10% so the book is basically worth $80K and investors ponied up $125K for the privilege of owning a piece of a key book.  It will be awhile for that book to reach $140K so that the investors will even get their money back when it goes up for sale.  So much risk and so little reward it's just foolish.

I don't think its an auction. Obviously the value of the book will be debated. But yeah, its a neat concept, and it will be interested to see how it evolves, given the interest so far.

47 minutes ago, rclark123 said:

I don't think its an auction. Obviously the value of the book will be debated. But yeah, its a neat concept, and it will be interested to see how it evolves, given the interest so far.

But how will the increase in price be qualtified - the book will eventually be sold off or it stinks of a ponzi scheme. 

Edited by 1Cool

2 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

lol someone already tried this here 

Still my all time favorite insane/stupid idea to hit the boards. I never get tired of it. :cloud9:

Not sure if it's the same thing but I believe Stanley Gibbons is a publicly traded company on the London Stock Exchange that specializes in buying/selling high-end stamps (like the one below which sold for over $700k) so, in essence, shareholders are all part-owners of some of the most valuable stamps in the world. Now we just need a comic book equivalent...

78cbbc88-b1c9-487f-b427-b28874746154-23-Stanley-Gibbons.jpg

7 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Not sure if it's the same thing but I believe Stanley Gibbons is a publicly traded company on the London Stock Exchange that specializes in buying/selling high-end stamps (like the one below which sold for over $700k) so, in essence, shareholders are all part-owners of some of the most valuable stamps in the world. Now we just need a comic book equivalent...

78cbbc88-b1c9-487f-b427-b28874746154-23-Stanley-Gibbons.jpg

According to the hipcomic.com website, they're connected with Stanley Gibbons.

http://www.hipecommerce.com/2016/07/22/press-release-mark-rosenberg-agrees-to-purchase-bidstart-from-stanley-gibbons/