• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting Idea: Ownership of Shares in Comicbooks
1 1

97 posts in this topic

It's funny to me that a bunch of guys on the official CGC board are opposed to the idea that "someone could own a part of a high-valued comic book" while simultaneously supporting CGC... the idea that "comics should be sealed up in a slab and not read." lol

Of the two concepts... ownership in part of something bigger is the one that makes more sense. :foryou:

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

So if a comic is value at $1000

And shares sell at .50

Than there is 2000 shares available and I want to buy ten shares in the comic for $5.00 I own %2 of the product.

So than the product value increases to $2000 my shares are worth $10.00, I understand now, not sure if my math is accurate. Didn't bother to work it out.

Plus its sellers that determine the value, not an actual stock exchange. If there was a solid number where the price of a product didn't have a wide range in value than it could be done, and do the share holders determine if the product should be sold or not?

Your math is off. If there are 2000 shares of something and you buy 10 of them, you own 0.5% of the product.  2% would be 40 shares.

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

So many issues with this concept.  Take the AF 15 for example - who set the $125,000 price tag?  A 7.5 just sold for $120k and it had Off-White pages.  So a Cream 7.0 would be worth what - $90K.  So the owner of this book puts it up on the site and pockets the $125k and then the investors only have a $90K book to show for it.  And then the auction house takes 10% so the book is basically worth $80K and investors ponied up $125K for the privilege of owning a piece of a key book.  It will be awhile for that book to reach $140K so that the investors will even get their money back when it goes up for sale.  So much risk and so little reward it's just foolish.

if it ever goes up for sale... I think its just a loan that some is trying to pass off without having to pay interest.. its a clever scam

4 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

lol someone already tried this here 

Probably been tried many times over as I remember some comic book wholesaler (was it Greg Buls???) trying something like this in terms of attempting to set up a comic book mutual fund type investment for all of the hot Image and Valiant books way back in the early 90's.  :screwy:

I guess we all know what would have happen to those investors.  :tonofbricks:  :cry:

actually as I think about it more I 100% definitely think this is more of a loan situation than a investment.. as the secondary market to sell these shares in not available till 2020.. why isn't it available immediately.. because they need the funds for at least a year without having to pay interest or anything maybe they will take the 125k and invest it at a large percentage and get a certain amount back after a year and take the interest as profit and then release the shares to be sold off after th year or interest free loan.

this would be a good idea if it was executed properly this seems to fishy.. I sense CT, tear seals and trimming involved lol 

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

So many issues with this concept.  Take the AF 15 for example - who set the $125,000 price tag?  A 7.5 just sold for $120k and it had Off-White pages.  So a Cream 7.0 would be worth what - $90K.  So the owner of this book puts it up on the site and pockets the $125k and then the investors only have a $90K book to show for it.  And then the auction house takes 10% so the book is basically worth $80K and investors ponied up $125K for the privilege of owning a piece of a key book.  It will be awhile for that book to reach $140K so that the investors will even get their money back when it goes up for sale.  So much risk and so little reward it's just foolish.

actually more thinking about this its a very brilliant scam that some suckers would fall for specially with that fishy 125k price tag. take the 125k invest for a year at high risk for say 15% return make 18k and then put book up for sale have someone buy book or buy it back yourself for 80-90k say to investors well auction fee's etc.. so your investment value is now 75k pocket the different from the auction sale. 50k plus interest on returns 18k book 68k yearly salary.. great business and you get a AF15 book back again to redo the scheme or re invest in later or sell privately buy back the shares at a lower price and you essential make even more and pay out even less for the AF15 toss another book later on and so on and make even more profit and get books eventually at the break even point maybe make one where it wins to keep the suckers on the line, etc.. so much to do so many greys so much scam.. 

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

It's funny to me that a bunch of guys on the official CGC board are opposed to the idea that "someone could own a part of a high-valued comic book" while simultaneously supporting CGC... the idea that "comics should be sealed up in a slab and not read." lol

Of the two concepts... ownership in part of something bigger is the one that makes more sense. :foryou:

haha thats a interesting way to put it, but yes very valid.

Someone a while back was doing this with exotic cars. The idea being you buy a fraction of ownership of the car, eventually when it sells for a profit you collect your profit.

but in the meanwhile all those Ferrari’s will be in his garage, you’ll never get to see them in person

Not sure if it turned out to be a co,plate scam or not, but it was at the very least not a great sell

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Someone a while back was doing this with exotic cars. The idea being you buy a fraction of ownership of the car, eventually when it sells for a profit you collect your profit.

but in the meanwhile all those Ferrari’s will be in his garage, you’ll never get to see them in person

Not sure if it turned out to be a co,plate scam or not, but it was at the very least not a great sell

are you talking about rallyrd? They just started doing books, and sports memorabilia. I think this is there link: https://www.rallyrd.com/

2 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

:whatthe: this just sounds another interest free loan... lol 

what happens if the guy decides to drive the car.. it gets damaged and sells for a lot less because its been damaged.. also don't cars usually depreciate in value as the years go on or the more they are driven, etc... I know there are some vintage collectable cars that sometimes goes up in value but if it starts to get used etc.. it loses money.. 

sounds risky

2 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

what happens if the guy decides to drive the car.. it gets damaged and sells for a lot less because its been damaged.. also don't cars usually depreciate in value as the years go on or the more they are driven, etc... I know there are some vintage collectable cars that sometimes goes up in value but if it starts to get used etc.. it loses money.. 

sounds risky

Exotic supercars appreciate pretty reliably when purchased at peak depreciation. But how long will it take? Will they purchase the right one, with the correct paperwork and options, in the correct condition? What about long term storage and maintenance? Repairs? And yeah, then there’s the question of if it’s being driven, rented out, used promotionally, etc. Just sounds like a scam to me with the winner being the guys with the keys to the Countach 

4 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Exotic supercars appreciate pretty reliably when purchased at peak depreciation. But how long will it take? Will they purchase the right one, with the correct paperwork and options, in the correct condition? What about long term storage and maintenance? Repairs? And yeah, then there’s the question of if it’s being driven, rented out, used promotionally, etc. Just sounds like a scam to me with the winner being the guys with the keys to the Countach 

couldn't agree more.. 

13 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

sounds risky

But also the argument is, would you read this CGC graded AF 15, probably not? So then I would think, no one would be driving that countache or 1960 Ferrari GTO, in theory?

2 minutes ago, rclark123 said:

But also the argument is, would you read this CGC graded AF 15, probably not? So then I would think, no one would be driving that countache or 1960 Ferrari GTO, in theory?

what's stopping someone from driving it around the block and potentially damaging the car? 

with the AF15 its slabbed so you have to unslab it to read it and that means you would have to re slab it to resell it which will cost you a bit.. what 1% of FMV to reslab so where is the incentive to open the slab... 

where as driving down the street to impress or show off is more of a incentive to do that with the potential to get away with no one knowing or being the wiser or telling people you had to go get it check by a special mechanic in another state etc.. and drive it around for awhile, etc.. 

6 minutes ago, rclark123 said:

also with the re-slab if its in a older holder and you have to re-slab people will know the difference between the holders and ask what happened? t'is a slippery slope there.

48 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

also with the re-slab if its in a older holder and you have to re-slab people will know the difference between the holders and ask what happened? t'is a slippery slope there.

Valid Point. It is definitely a very unique yet interesting concept