• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting Idea: Ownership of Shares in Comicbooks
1 1

97 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Would it surprise anyone to learn that hedge fund money is being invested in comics? As others have said selling shares in a collection with a definite schedule of repayment seems like a reasonable investment to me. I’d be shocked if Vincent Z hadn’t sold to many investors. 

yeah I would be ok with that so long as it has a governing body and there's scheduled repayment and more outlined specifics in relation to when the book sells when you get your money or investment back if you can sell your shares etc.. but Hip doesn't have the secondary market available until 2020? that seems suspect to me as well as not much details about if there is a repayment time or when the book would if ever sold etc.. 

6 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I played with the idea of trying to get a small number of people to pool our money and by a dozen or so blue chips with a set time to sell them, but the logistics and legalities were daunting.

I can imagine but if someone worked out those details I am sure I would invest then. 

I understand investor’s early reluctancy to jump on board of buying shares of a comic book initially, but I believe the platform has evolved quite a bit and many questions that people posed, have been answered as the industry has gained some momentum.  These aren’t random individuals with unfounded or unverifiable holdings. I mean, I don’t doubt for one second that there are those who have tried to exploit the new business model without possessing the actual items offered.  However, if you’re someone who invests in anything; stocks, crypto, precious metals, etc, you have to do your due diligence as an investor.  Legitimate businesses should be verified by The Better Business Bureau (BBB), they will have insurance, and a model for how buyers both buy shares, and also how to liquidate when wishing to depart from the investment. Vintage comic books have for the most part continued to appreciate over the years, and CGC graded grails are a rather sound investment in that regard.  I won’t argue that the exact worth is completely objective, but sources that generally dictate the market value make their valuations based on an average of the most recent sales via ebay.  They will be broken down by each specific CGC numerical grade.  As a seller, you are on pretty solid footing.  So, people raise the question, how do you sell your shares.  The qualified owner should have acquired and insured the good that you’re investing in.  If you are buying a $10,000 dollar comic book and shares of the book are broken into $100 share and you buy 10 shares ($1,000), and the book appreciates to $15,000 dollars and you want to liquidate after a gain, then you should be able to sell all 10 of your shares for $1500, minus any associated fees.  The holding house now has a $15,000 dollar book, minus the $1,500 paid out to you. So, they’re still $3,500 in the green, at least from their original offering.  A trade made after a loss to the book’s, should work inversely, and you would incur a loss, as well as the holding house.  However, they still have the book, which will overwhelmingly appreciate in the long term.  These are the general dynamics of the trade, the only difference is what you’re investing in. The leg work/research done on the auction house of your choosing, it’s reliability, credibility, and it’s investing and divesting models, is up to you.  Some of these holding houses even offer consignments, which minimizes operating costs, and are SEC backed securities, as I understand it. You can reference the links below to see how they structure their business.

https://withotis.com/how-it-works

A53509C0-CCD3-4B5D-B3B6-5B7546EB96D5.png

On 5/19/2021 at 11:13 AM, Dark Knight said:

Definitely not interested in this concept. Would rather own the book to myself than having a stake at it and sharing with others.

I’m sure everyone would prefer to own their own vintage keys outright.  Unfortunately, that’s just not a realistic feat for most, with the way the market rages on.  If you want a blue chip key in any condition over 1.0, you’re going to have to drop some g’s to make that happen….barring some sort of extraordinarily anomalous sequence of events.

Edited by Quilk

ya so get a job, cut back on that wastes money and junk food, save up and you can buy loads of big books. And if you can't afford the biggest books, so what? Your value as a person isn't in owning very expensive things.

And sometimes life is just disappointing. deal with it.  :headpat:

On 11/18/2019 at 7:41 AM, ThothAmon said:

Would it surprise anyone to learn that hedge fund money is being invested in comics? As others have said selling shares in a collection with a definite schedule of repayment seems like a reasonable investment to me. I’d be shocked if Vincent Z hadn’t sold to many investors. 

Who's to say that Vinnie isn't involved in some way already, whether directly or indirectly.  hm

Especially since if I remember correctly, wasn't it Vinnie's name and signature at the bottom of some of those documents as the seller of those books to Rally Road.  At least it was for the TMNT 1 along with at least a couple of the other books as per the posts from the Rally Road thread here on the boards.  (thumbsu

On 12/9/2021 at 4:17 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Isn’t it easier to visit a site such as Heritage, zoom in and enjoy the book? What’s the need to have ownership in it? 

For sure, just download a scan of one and you'll have as much interaction with the original as you would if you 'invested' in it.

On 12/8/2021 at 8:01 PM, Quilk said:

I’m sure everyone would prefer to own their own vintage keys outright.  Unfortunately, that’s just not a realistic feat for most, with the way the market rages on.  If you want a blue chip key in any condition over 1.0, you’re going to have to drop some g’s to make that happen….barring some sort of extraordinarily anomalous sequence of events.

Here's a few choices:

A) Save up some $ for that key. Some people would sell most of their collections to be able to afford their dream book.

B) Wait for a buying opportunity when the market is not so hot.  It's cyclical and there will be deals to be had for sure. 

C) Buy a reprint of that key book if all else fails, which practically looks almost identical to the real thing in some cases. I'd rather have something tangible to flip through than "own" an image of a book which anyone can just look at for free. Also, what if that person has a stake ownership and never wants to sell, but majority does than that person would be forced to sell their share(s). 

On 12/10/2021 at 8:52 AM, Dark Knight said:

Here's a few choices:

A) Save up some $ for that key. Some people would sell most of their collections to be able to afford their dream book.

B) Wait for a buying opportunity when the market is not so hot.  It's cyclical and there will be deals to be had for sure. 

C) Buy a reprint of that key book if all else fails, which practically looks almost identical to the real thing in some cases. I'd rather have something tangible to flip through than "own" an image of a book which anyone can just look at for free. Also, what if that person has a stake ownership and never wants to sell, but majority does than that person would be forced to sell their share(s). 

I'm not sure you understand the concept of investing.

I've been dabbling in Rally for about 6 months now. I've invested mostly in comics but also a few sports cards and video games. The biggest downside for me is not always having a final say in selling my shares. When Rally has a buyout offer for the asset, I get one vote as a shareholder. I have voted "no" every time, and every time the asset is sold. The bright side....I have made decent money every time. I'm enjoying the experience so I'll stick with it for now.