• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuable comic out there
1 1

73 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I don't think anything would be more valuable, but perhaps there is a comic more rare?

12 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Why is Amazing Man #26 so hard to find? And is there any data available anywhere on print runs of some of these books?

There are a whole ton of comics that are rarer than Action 1 since DC was one of the 2 major GA publishers and their books would have had much wider distribution.

Amazing Man 26 is from the Centaur line of books which had their beginnings from the mid-30's when comics were still not that widely distributed.  Especially in the case of Centaurs which was basically a relatively small publisher which most likely suffered from poor distribution.  Being the last book in the run, I am sure that A-Man 26's distribution would have even been weaker than the earlier issues in the run as it would have been winding down shop by then.  

Most Centaurs are generally considered to be extremely rare relative to most of the other more common GSA books, with many of them having only less than a handful in the CGC census after almost 20 years.  Needless to say, most of these would also be found only in low grade condition and definitely still in demand as any copy is better than no copy at all.  :takeit:

3 hours ago, Jeffro™ said:

Obadiah Oldbuck will be someday. You just wait...........

i actually would love to get my hands on one of the adventures of Obadiah oldbuck

4 hours ago, Foley said:

Maybe followed by his Allentown Tec 27? 

I'm guessing in the public consciousness it's Action #1 always and forever. To long time collectors prolly a bunch of other books. Written by Fletcher Hanks anyone?

17 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

i actually would love to get my hands on one of the adventures of Obadiah oldbuck

Just don’t pay too much in 2005 .... then find out the hard way during the sub-prime crash of 2009– that the masses didn’t hold it in the same light you do ( did , shouldn’t have, whatever....,) when you send your copie(s) to Heritage to sell at a Signature Auction, because you need the money back you spent on them to pay for your own house, since your income dropped overnight by 80% -90% due to the mortgage meltdown / that ironically you contributed to at Wells Fargo as one of the Nations Top Subrime Loan officers.,.....while your wife’s at  home Raising your twin sons, and you have a $3,800 mini-mansion mortgage you got for yourself because you could.... just saying. 

Edited by showcase4

2 minutes ago, showcase4 said:

Just don’t pay too much .... then find out the hard way during the sub-prime crash of 2009– that the masses didn’t hold it in the same light you do ( did , shouldn’t have, whatever....,) when you send your copie(s) to Heritage to sell at a Signature Auction, because you need the money back you spent on them to pay for your house, since your income drops overnight by 80% ..... just saying. 

very specific.. yeah I'll note that but I would want it more to add to the collection... sorry if this happened to you and you took a lose. 

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:
4 hours ago, Foley said:
5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Easy, the Dentist’s Church copy of Action #1. 

Drop the mike.

And welcome to the boards!

Maybe followed by his Allentown Tec 27

Was just about to bring up the AT Tec 27.  It would give the Church Action 1 a run for its money for most valuable comic book in the hobby I think. I would lean towards the Tec 27 :p

AC1 9.2/9.4 vs Tec 27 9.6/9.8

I'll pick the Allentown Tec 27 as most valuable comic.

Edited by Gotham Kid

48 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
4 hours ago, Dark Knight said:
4 hours ago, Foley said:
6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Easy, the Dentist’s Church copy of Action #1. 

Drop the mike.

And welcome to the boards!

Maybe followed by his Allentown Tec 27

Was just about to bring up the AT Tec 27.  It would give the Church Action 1 a run for its money for most valuable comic book in the hobby I think. I would lean towards the Tec 27 :p

AC1 9.2/9.4 vs Tec 27 9.6/9.8

I'll pick the Allentown Tec 27 as most valuable comic.

That's an interesting discussion.  When something is "the best in existence" does it really matter what the grade is?  If there was a chip on the edge of the Mona Lisa would some other Da Vinci be worth more? hm

Ultimately, I think the debate is "is the world's best surviving copy of the first Superman more valuable than the world's best surviving copy of the first Batman?" - because it seems like it wouldn't (philosophically) matter what the exact grades are, if they're the "world's best surviving copy".

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

9.6/9.8?

Who’s seen the Tec 27 up close?

The Allentown Detective 29 is a CGC 9.6

Pretty sure there is a scan/pic of the 27

Edited by Gotham Kid

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

When something is "the best in existence" does it really matter what the grade is? 

Yes. Because in most cases the best of something in existence is not the only one in existence. Being subjective, the only way to determine if one of two, or three, or 50, or 100 of the same thing is the best in existence is to have them assessed by the same grader or jury of graders. Until that happens, and they've been judged on the grading table, all accounts of which is better are anecdotal and not practical.

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

There are a whole ton of comics that are rarer than Action 1 since DC was one of the 2 major GA publishers and their books would have had much wider distribution.

Amazing Man 26 is from the Centaur line of books which had their beginnings from the mid-30's when comics were still not that widely distributed.  Especially in the case of Centaurs which was basically a relatively small publisher which most likely suffered from poor distribution.  Being the last book in the run, I am sure that A-Man 26's distribution would have even been weaker than the earlier issues in the run as it would have been winding down shop by then.  

Most Centaurs are generally considered to be extremely rare relative to most of the other more common GSA books, with many of them having only less than a handful in the CGC census after almost 20 years.  Needless to say, most of these would also be found only in low grade condition and definitely still in demand as any copy is better than no copy at all.  :takeit:

Got it. If you guys miraculously discovered this in your collection, would you hold on to it, or sell it/auction it right away?

53 minutes ago, rclark123 said:

Got it. If you guys miraculously discovered this in your collection, would you hold on to it, or sell it/auction it right away?

I would probably keep it

18 hours ago, James J Johnson said:
18 hours ago, valiantman said:

When something is "the best in existence" does it really matter what the grade is? 

Yes. Because in most cases the best of something in existence is not the only one in existence. Being subjective, the only way to determine if one of two, or three, or 50, or 100 of the same thing is the best in existence is to have them assessed by the same grader or jury of graders. Until that happens, and they've been judged on the grading table, all accounts of which is better are anecdotal and not practical.

That's not what I'm saying.  Somewhere, there is exactly one "best copy in existence" for Action Comics #1.  There are none better.  Somewhere, there is exactly one "best copy in existence" for Detective Comics #27.  There are none better.

Is there any reason to believe that the absolute best copy in existence for Action Comics #1 is worth less if it isn't 9.8?   I don't believe there's a ceiling (especially not based on the grade) once something is the best in existence. 

Any imaginary higher grade will always be imaginary.

1 hour ago, rclark123 said:

A $4,000,000 comic?  There is no way I could afford to keep that in my collection.  It would be auctioned off right away.  Maybe 10% of whatever I made off it would be plowed back into my collection and the rest would go towards my retirement/kids inheritance.

On 11/13/2019 at 11:03 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I don't think anything would be more valuable, but perhaps there is a comic more rare?

And I mean a comic that received a legitimate printing. Not a variant or alternate printing or a book with a desirable defect like 16 covers or something. Just a book that was printed, likely in the Golden Age, that copies just do not exist of but is also very desirable. Like is it accurate to say there are between 50-75 confirmed copies of Action Comics #1? Is there an actual count somewhere? And is there a book with fewer confirmed copies in existence that is desired?

There are probably at least a couple of hundred comics out there rarer than Action #1.  Personally... I don't even feel Action #1 qualifies as being technically "rare" (I think modern estimates are that there might be as many as 150-200 copies out there altogether).  In fact, I'd guess Action #2 or #3 are much rarer (they come up for sale less often at any rate).  There are probably specific romance comics even from the 1950s that are rarer... but nobody really tracks them.  And extend this out to other pop culture collectibles... hundreds of pulps and movie posters and toys much rarer than Action #1.

26 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That's not what I'm saying.  Somewhere, there is exactly one "best copy in existence" for Action Comics #1.  There are none better.  Somewhere, there is exactly one "best copy in existence" for Detective Comics #27.  There are none better.

Is there any reason to believe that the absolute best copy in existence for Action Comics #1 is worth less if it isn't 9.8?   I don't believe there's a ceiling (especially not based on the grade) once something is the best in existence. 

Any imaginary higher grade will always be imaginary.

I think I got lost in your explanation, 

but I think your talking about ignoring grades like if CGC never existed what would be more valuable the best looking and structure copy of superman or batman? 

if so I would go with batman for personal preference but I guess it comes down to also history of the character the book and relevance to current and past pop culture.. the value can be subjected to that I guess. 

8 minutes ago, Bookery said:

There are probably at least a couple of hundred comics out there rarer than Action #1.  Personally... I don't even feel Action #1 qualifies as being technically "rare" (I think modern estimates are that there might be as many as 150-200 copies out there altogether).  In fact, I'd guess Action #2 or #3 are much rarer (they come up for sale less often at any rate).  There are probably specific romance comics even from the 1950s that are rarer... but nobody really tracks them.  And extend this out to other pop culture collectibles... hundreds of pulps and movie posters and toys much rarer than Action #1.

this the perfect example of that just because something is rare doesn't mean its valuable. There are many things out there that are rare or one off but no one wants them.. the rarity adds to the value when the product is highly desirable.