• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuable comic out there
1 1

73 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2019 at 3:09 PM, lou_fine said:

Don't see how that would help in the end though as there are still far more raw copies of AF 15 out there, as compared to graded copies from what I've seen.  :gossip:

to help narrow down how many potential books can be out there.. if we know how many graded copies from all the grading companies exist. and if we can get the print run.. and do a average of like say 50% of the books were lost or thrown away... we could at least see a bit of a count for how many books might exist still..

On 11/16/2019 at 1:00 PM, PopKulture said:

Except that people will always realize that Superman is the great discontinuity, and comicdom's greatest spark. Batman is utterly derivative of so much that immediately preceded him, especially in the pulps.

Yes, Superman will always have the distinction of being the first superhero. There's a reason I said "potential" not "probable." 

The Action Comics ashcan is much rarer than the Action Comics 1, but rarity is only one factor when it comes to value, and it's not the main one.  Historical significance drives value, but it, too, is not the main factor.  Demand is overriding factor in determining value.

Combine all 3 and you have a winning equation.  That's why Action 1 in 9.0 is $3 million and the Action ashcan in 9.0 only modest 6 figures.

Action Comics.jpg

7 minutes ago, Moondog said:

The Action Comics ashcan is much rarer than the Action Comics 1, but rarity is only one factor when it comes to value, and it's not the main one.  Historical significance drives value, but it, too, is not the main factor.  Demand is overriding factor in determining value.

Combine all 3 and you have a winning equation.  That's why Action 1 in 9.0 is $3 million and the Action ashcan in 9.0 only modest 6 figures.

Action Comics.jpg

How easy would it be to counterfeit one of the many DC or Fawcett ash cans?

Just now, N e r V said:

How easy would it be to counterfeit one of the many DC or Fawcett ash cans?

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but I've been monitoring sales/discoveries and listings of ashcans since 1986, and it would be extremely difficult for me to believe someone could manufacture a fake that would get by me, Matt Nelson or Mark Zaid.  There are others who would be able to catch it too.  There are fake images out there (a Batman for instance) but I'm not aware of any historical GA ashcans that are fakes.  The Double Action 1 is a weird book.  I don't believe it's legit and CGC gave it a NG.

22 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Is that a euphemism?

Well it was thought to be actually trimmed on the right and left, and had pillars on the sides. I had actually gone through art school with that common misconception. But more recently in the last 15 years tests were done which showed that it had not been trimmed as previously thought. But its had other damage repair through the years.

Edited by Rip

On 11/18/2019 at 1:38 PM, mackenzie999 said:
On 11/13/2019 at 2:04 PM, valiantman said:

If there was a chip on the edge of the Mona Lisa ...

Mona Lisa was trimmed

Not only that..........it's also been restored multiple times in the past.  :p  :takeit: