• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Innovative SA Covers
1 1

37 posts in this topic

I really like the way Kubert laid out some of his war covers. I do not happen to own a copy, but this one always catches my eye, the yellow panels, whatever. Any SA covers that are innovative, experimental, just sort of "different" for the era that you really like? Kubert has a bunch more of these that give me the same reaction.

s-l1600.jpg

Don't know if these are innovative, but definitely different and not the norm. Usually, the typical Silver Age comic cover captured a key moment in time of an interior story. A few, however, were three-panel covers. They showed a "passage of time" instead of a frozen moment in time. Here are some examples. (Flash, below,  was not three-panels, but certainly indicated a "passage of time." Flash action pics were like this quite a bit.) Thanks!

Screenshot_20191113-203403.png

Screenshot_20191113-204451.png

Screenshot_20191113-203655.png

Screenshot_20191113-204807.png

Another cool innovation was when Richard Powers painted the cover to Doctor Solar #2 in 1962 to make it look like it had been ripped, giving the prospective buyer/reader a peek into the dramatic and cataclysmic interior of the book.

DrSolar2front.thumb.jpg.551ad771dfe7c62f94900eae7305354a.jpg

Edited by namisgr

On 11/13/2019 at 4:38 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I've always considered Amazing Spider-Man #28 to be quite innovative.

Joe

ASM28.jpg

I've also wondered how this was printed. I assume that Steve Ditko drew the Molten Man and Spider-Man normally, and then when the production art was created, they reversed the whites and the blacks.

Anyone else have a theory?

Joe

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer