• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Innovative SA Covers
1 1

37 posts in this topic

On 11/13/2019 at 9:44 PM, RandyL said:

Don't know if these are innovative, but definitely different and not the norm. Usually, the typical Silver Age comic cover captured a key moment in time of an interior story. A few, however, were three-panel covers. They showed a "passage of time" instead of a frozen moment in time. Here are some examples. (Flash, below,  was not three-panels, but certainly indicated a "passage of time." Flash action pics were like this quite a bit.) 

Screenshot_20191113-203403.png

Screenshot_20191113-204451.png

Ross Andru had done a couple of beautiful Wonder Woman triptych covers in 1962-63 which were thus prior to the ones above:

26-05-201163238PM.jpg

26-05-201175014PM.jpg

B|

Edited by Hepcat

On 11/13/2019 at 9:44 PM, RandyL said:

Usually, the typical Silver Age comic cover captured a key moment in time of an interior story. A few, however, were three-panel covers. They showed a "passage of time" instead of a frozen moment in time.

If you truly want the passage of (eons of) time over three panels, this one should really do it for you:

03-07-201152103PM.jpg

:juggle:

On 11/15/2019 at 5:12 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I've also wondered how this was printed. I assume that Steve Ditko drew the Molten Man and Spider-Man normally, and then when the production art was created, they reversed the whites and the blacks.

Anyone else have a theory?

Joe

Nope.  A famous collector owns this cover and it's drawn and inked as printed.  No reversal.
There have been posts on here showing the original art, and there's an article out there about said collector that shows this piece and many other great pieces.  I'll be darned if I can find either, but they are out there.

Ditko is just that awesome.

It's not considered one of the classic covers, but Spidey 55 is pretty cool where the "action" is reflected in Doc Ock's glasses.

Also, most of the Steranko Fury covers are pretty wild.   1, 4, 5 and 7.

12 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Unca Ben,

I looked at the article, but I never saw the artwork for ASM #28. I even tried clicking some of the links. Am I missing something, or am I just technologically challenged?

Joe

33 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Unca Ben,

I looked at the article, but I never saw the artwork for ASM #28. I even tried clicking some of the links. Am I missing something, or am I just technologically challenged?

Joe

(Plus if you look at the wall over his shoulder in the picture he attached)

Edited by thunsicker

On 11/18/2019 at 2:22 PM, Straw-Man said:

a modest innovation--I dig that the "q" becomes a funeral wreath on this pallbearer cover.

aquaman30.jpg

Always loved this cover yet wondered of all characters, why Hawkman and Metamorpho? I mean Hawkman is DC's greatest creation, but that isn't the consensus of most DC fans. It just seems an odd hero selection.