• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you crack this?

51 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Krismusic said:

think a press can help the top of this one.. dont have graders notes its a 9.6 

bs-l1600.jpg

A press would help it look better, but it won't help the technical grade. You have a couple of color breaks in the spine, and the bottom of the spine is a little scruffy. That will keep the book squarely at 9.6.

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is that top edge wear? top right front? that seem's pressable, the blunted corner's not so much :foryou: I have limited experience, willing to learn :) 

Does any of that top edge wear break color? 

Edited by The Lions Den

28 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Lower staple popped?

It's hard to say for certain whether it is or whether it isn't.  From the top when you get close it looks like there is still paper between the bar of the staple and I am having a hard time getting a pic where I don't have some form of interference of sorts. 

27 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

A press would help it look better, but it won't help the technical grade. You have a couple of color breaks in the spine, and the bottom of the spine is a little scruffy. That will keep the book squarely at 9.6.

Unless I'm seeing things, in addition to the color breaks on the spine, it appears to have nonpressable issues on each of the 4 corners, so I would agree that it would come back no higher than a 9.6, but IMO, it might just as likely to drop to a 9.4.

4 hours ago, Krismusic said:

think a press can help the top of this one.. dont have graders notes its a 9.6 

bs-l1600.jpg

These kinda books are the classic example that lure the owner or prospective buyer in. Clear and evident damage that looks like it can be fixed with a press. Makes you think. 

And only then will you truly understand the definition of gift grade. Also makes me wonder if the graders are now looking at books the same way a flipper might. Stains and CBCs are bad, but pressable defects are good and the book gets graded to its potential.

Now I know for a fact that the 1.8 was never pressed.  I bought it in 1998 and had it in a bag and board and in a top loader until 2011? when I sent it in.  This was before I really understood pressing and didn't know who to send it to or who to trust. 

Would it benefit from a press?  Who knows?  Are the grading restrictions tighter?  There is a big difference in value between a 1.5 and a 2.0.  I am not interested in selling this one ever out of the three... This was the one I really saved up for to buy. 

AF15cgc18a.jpg

AF15cgc18b.jpg

2 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

These kinda books are the classic example that lure the owner or prospective buyer in. Clear and evident damage that looks like it can be fixed with a press. Makes you think. 

And only then will you truly understand the definition of gift grade. Also makes me wonder if the graders are now looking at books the same way a flipper might. Stains and CBCs are bad, but pressable defects are good and the book gets graded to its potential.

I didn't buy it for a grade bump I got a good deal on it and I am quite ok with a 9.6 not looking to flip was just thinking of pressable defects and what would actually get a grade bump wanted to see what others thought the corners I guess are the deciding factor for sure that they are blunted. 

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I don't think I have ever posted scans of my AF15 3.5.  I don't think the book was ever pressed. 

AF15cgc35a.jpg

AF15cgc35b.jpg

I’ve always felt that when you are very serious about a mere 1/2 point bump and it’s evident that the book has areas to improve, then I strongly suggest sending it to Matt Nelson for a prescreen. If they say it’s worth a shot, then go for it. I feel that’s what they are there for. To evaluate and get that bump. You are paying so I expect their product, which is professional advice and expert cleaning and pressing should result in a bump more than 50% of the time. Otherwise what’s the point of their existence?

4 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I didn't buy it for a grade bump I got a good deal on it and I am quite ok with a 9.6 not looking to flip was just thinking of pressable defects and what would actually get a grade bump wanted to see what others thought the corners I guess are the deciding factor for sure that they are blunted. 

I wasn’t even considering your reasoning or intentions. I’m just calling balls and strikes of the posted book. Pressing will improve the book, but as @RockMyAmadeus said, there’s likely not enough that can be done to push it to a 9.8. I agree with him. 

11 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Now I know for a fact that the 1.8 was never pressed.  I bought it in 1998 and had it in a bag and board and in a top loader until 2011? when I sent it in.  This was before I really understood pressing and didn't know who to send it to or who to trust. 

Would it benefit from a press?  Who knows?  Are the grading restrictions tighter?  There is a big difference in value between a 1.5 and a 2.0.  I am not interested in selling this one ever out of the three... This was the one I really saved up for to buy. 

AF15cgc18a.jpg

AF15cgc18b.jpg

I consider AF15 a 1/2 point book. By that I mean that every 1/2 point bump is big money. A lesser graded copy will never out sell a higher as you can see other books this happens a lot. So it’s always worth a shot. 

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

Are you sure that top edge damage isn’t SCS?

I dont think so it wasn't loose in the well from what I can remember but I will double check it again.. 

2 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

I dont think so it wasn't loose in the well from what I can remember but I will double check it again.. 

I can’t see how it could grade 9.6 if that damage was already there.  Not with the wear on the bottom right corner as well....

5 hours ago, Pontoon said:

I'll play, especially if we are in a dingus-free zone.

JIM93.jpg

JIM93b.jpg

I’m sure you looked at the GPA, because that is very important here.  Can the book absorb the grading fee, shipping etc if it were only to go up a 1/2 point? Financially, I think you need to establish a target grade. Can this book get to a xx.x? 

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I can’t see how it could grade 9.6 if that damage was already there.  Not with the wear on the bottom right corner as well....

Hard for me to tell from the pic, but it appears to be a current slab. Are there examples of SCS with the newest version of the CGC slab? 

3 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

Hard for me to tell from the pic, but it appears to be a current slab. Are there examples of SCS with the newest version of the CGC slab? 

The inner well looks the same as the old ones.  What keeps the book from slamming against the sides of the well in the new design? 

7 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

The inner well looks the same as the old ones.  What keeps the book from slamming against the sides of the well in the new design? 

I was under the impression that the new cases were actually improved. A better stronger case and designed with SCS in mind. I don’t follow the SCS or newton ring stories. 

35 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

AF15cgc18a.jpg

It'd be better to have them both hand in hand,but that looks much nicer than the 1.5 I have folks have harangued me to get regraded,whispering about grade bumps to a possible 1.8/2.0.

I really don't get the 1.0/1.5/1.8 grades.The increments in the nines make more sense to me.