• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you crack this?

51 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Junkdrawer said:
6 hours ago, Pontoon said:

I'll play, especially if we are in a dingus-free zone.

JIM93.jpg

JIM93b.jpg

I’m sure you looked at the GPA, because that is very important here.  Can the book absorb the grading fee, shipping etc if it were only to go up a 1/2 point? Financially, I think you need to establish a target grade. Can this book get to a xx.x? 

The color on this book is immense, especially the reds. What a lovely book.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:37 PM, Junkdrawer said:

Everyone buys a book thinkin theyre gonna bump that grade but then they start to second guess it. How about a thread where you post a slab you think is undergraded. We say yay or nay. 

Everyone?

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Now I know for a fact that the 1.8 was never pressed.  I bought it in 1998 and had it in a bag and board and in a top loader until 2011? when I sent it in.  This was before I really understood pressing and didn't know who to send it to or who to trust. 

Would it benefit from a press?  Who knows?  Are the grading restrictions tighter?  There is a big difference in value between a 1.5 and a 2.0.  I am not interested in selling this one ever out of the three... This was the one I really saved up for to buy. 

AF15cgc18a.jpg

AF15cgc18b.jpg

Assuming the staples are attached, that's a book I'd take a chance on.

A press won't help 98% of the visable damage, but hopefully would 'tidy' up the book, centre the cover, enough to get a 2.0/2.5

HOWEVER - I do see some kind of  ?? foxing/staining on the inside of the cover on the left hand side of the 2nd pic.

If there is a large proliferation of that, then it's a -shoot.

Perhaps worth sending for a pre-screen, and go from there.

I would.

Downside - you are out a few $$ for a pre-screen

Upside - potential 0.2/0.7 increase. I'd be amazed if anything more than a 2.5 was possible on the sunniest of sunny days.

2c

19 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Everyone?

The topic is pretty much CPR. So yes “everyone” I’m referring to applies to that strain of the hobby and not like “everyone “ including my 2 yr old nephew.. and you I guess. Just trying to make a point. Sorry to include you. My bad

8 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:

The topic is pretty much CPR. So yes “everyone” I’m referring to applies to that strain of the hobby and not like “everyone “ including my 2 yr old nephew.. and you I guess. Just trying to make a point. Sorry to include you. My bad

You need to include me. In anything. Carry on. 

6 hours ago, Beige said:

Assuming the staples are attached, that's a book I'd take a chance on.

A press won't help 98% of the visable damage, but hopefully would 'tidy' up the book, centre the cover, enough to get a 2.0/2.5

HOWEVER - I do see some kind of  ?? foxing/staining on the inside of the cover on the left hand side of the 2nd pic.

If there is a large proliferation of that, then it's a -shoot.

Perhaps worth sending for a pre-screen, and go from there.

I would.

Downside - you are out a few $$ for a pre-screen

Upside - potential 0.2/0.7 increase. I'd be amazed if anything more than a 2.5 was possible on the sunniest of sunny days.

2c

I don't think I would want to just send it in... If Matt was at NYCC again I would bring it with me for him to look at in person.  Out of all three, this is the one I am most attached to.  On top of that I would want to personally make sure that it did not suffer the wear and tear of being thrown around like it would in transit by a third party.  It's something to think about though. 

12 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I wonder how many times a book can be CPR’d before it’s damaged? I mean, I know accidents happen and it could be damaged at any time, but there can’t be unlimited amounts of cleaning and pressing without taking something away eventually right? 

Many would tell you, once.

52 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Many would tell you, once.

That’s already what I kind of suspect. They say CPR can’t be disclosed on labels because it’s undetectable. I think if you send a book that had been CPR’d by one reputable service to another reputable service they’ll sent it back and say it’s already been cleaned and/or pressed and they don’t recommend doing it again. Which means it can be detected, and can cause damage

Edited by dupont2005