• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Amazing Fantasy #15
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Hi all, my friend wanted to have an idea of the grade of his AF 15.

I'll say it right away it's NOT for sale, so please don't message me lol 

The main flaws are :

1) Blue stain at the bottom of the comics. It go through to about page 10.

2) Damage above the top staple

3) Crease lines on cover

Other then those flaws very nice book !

Thanks for your opinions :)

AF15_cover.jpg

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Man... great book... I'd like to go back in time and stop that blue gunk from ever hitting the cover...

source.gif

...fire up the Delorean!!!! :)

I'll say optimistically 3.5... and it would probably be one of the best-looking AF15's ever at that grade.

yeah I agree, I looked at other 3.5 and they looked way less good. The stain doesn't ruin the eye appeal since it's at the the bottom of the comic. I wonder how CGC would evaluate it.

1 minute ago, The-Collector said:

That CT bleeds through to the inside so removal will leave holes. Probably best not to mess with it. 

Does that mean if the comic is slabbed by CGC, it will have a purple label :( . Looks like a C scale... Would it drop a complete grade (like 4.0 to 3.0?)

5 minutes ago, migmtl76 said:

Does that mean if the comic is slabbed by CGC, it will have a purple label :( . Looks like a C scale... Would it drop a complete grade (like 4.0 to 3.0?)

At this level it may be the case. To have all that CT scrapped off the book, you  would lose some paper, especially around the top edge of the spine and the top staple. 

Unfortunate. 

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

At this level it may be the case. To have all that CT scrapped off the book, you  would lose some paper, especially around the top edge of the spine and the top staple. 

Unfortunate. 

Well the comic is still popular in restored grade but the value does drop alot.

Do you think it's a 3.5 CGC restored ?

It's going to get a restored grade so...... here's the new question.  Should you now do FULL resto to maximize the grade? I'll bet with CT to the creases in the lower right, a cover cleaning, a pressing, and whatever other magic a pro restorer can do, that the grade on this might max out around 7.0.  

If it's going to be a PLOD, would you want a 3.0-3.5 PLOD or a 7.0 PLOD?

I would much rather sink the money into getting it back to a blue label. A couple holes are fine especially since it is along the edge. I’m super partial to blue label but to each their own and I think the cost to do the work would be significantly cheaper than a full restoration and a good shot that the book would be worth more at a lower grade blue.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, AJCohen said:

I would much rather sink the money into getting it back to a blue label. A couple holes are fine especially since it is along the edge. I’m super partial to blue label but to each their own and I think the cost to do the work would be significantly cheaper than a full restoration and a good shot that the book would be worth more at a lower grade blue.

Good luck!

This. I don't know how much of that ink stain is ever going to come out and likely caps the grade at a 5.0.