• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near Perfect Comic - Just ONE Flaw - Grading?

10 posts in this topic

I'm not new to comics but fairly new to grading and I couldn't find anything in past boards.  So I got this comic today (ASM 112) and it's fantastic!  Better than I hoped for.  After a clean and press it looks like it could be almost perfect.  But as I'm going through the book I notice that there is a small hole on one page.  It's clearly not burned but is the size and shape of someone putting a cigarette out on the page.  There is no other damage on any page.  So how would CGC grade this?  I have the grading guide (overstreet) and they seem to indicate that the highest grade you can get with this defect is a 3.5 but i have no idea if I'm reading this correctly.  Would CGC issue a qualifying grade?  Does this count as a "major" defect?  Or would they not qualify it and I'd just have a SUPER clean copy that grades super low?  Any thoughts on how CGC would handle a perfect book with just ONE small but unavoidable defect?  Any chance I avoid that green label AND just take a small hit on the grade?  Thanks for you time!

The correct term is "Near Mint". A true NM is identified by a 9.4 numeric grade. "Perfect" would be 10 (AKA Gem Mint). You cannot clean/press a comic into a grade higher than 9.8 IMO. Either it's printed and preserved as Mint (or Gem Mint) - or it isn't.

From your description I don't see any reason to think that this would receive a Qualified label. A hole/burn is a defect - it doesn't really make the comic "incomplete". As Matt said; Post clear images of the covers in the PGM sub-forum, as well as any pages affected by this "hole", and we can give an educated guess as to the approximate grade.

Thanks for the replies!  I don't actually want a grade. I know it's not really a 10, as I mentioned I have a grading guide.  I just want to know if 1, would a small hole in one page force the grade down considerably (from 8s-9s down to 3s-4s) and/or 2, would it receive a qualified grade (ie, does a small hole constitute a "major" defect).  Should I still post pictures in the spare me a grade section?