• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Collector
1 1

78 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Currently in a purist phase, where I'm only really interested in reading and appreciating the stories and art.

The speculation frenzy and price hikes burned out my interest in chasing after original copies, either raw or slabbed, and I've found it much more interesting to liberate myself from that group, move on into the digital medium and have access to the widest range of old and modern titles with extreme ease. 

I agree....

1 minute ago, csaag said:

Don't know where the other 2 threads are so I'll respond to this one

Former/Seller  -    collected form late 70's to late 80's.    Moving into my late 50's and starting to plan for downsizing.  Loved the books so much that I kept them for 40 years.   Kids have absolutely zero interest in them so it's time to start the slow process of finding them new homes.  It started a year+ ago when I was home for a couple of weeks due my wife recovering from an surgery which gave me time to go thru & catalog them.  That led me to investigating how to go about selling them which led me to here & learning about slabbing etc.  I've found the whole process enjoyable from "meeting" people here to dealing with Ebay buyers (so far all pleasant experiences)

So have you slabbed a bunch than?

4 minutes ago, csaag said:

Don't know where the other 2 threads are so I'll respond to this one

Former/Seller  -    collected form late 70's to late 80's.    Moving into my late 50's and starting to plan for downsizing.  Loved the books so much that I kept them for 40 years.   Kids have absolutely zero interest in them so it's time to start the slow process of finding them new homes.  It started a year+ ago when I was home for a couple of weeks due my wife recovering from an surgery which gave me time to go thru & catalog them.  That led me to investigating how to go about selling them which led me to here & learning about slabbing etc.  I've found the whole process enjoyable from "meeting" people here to dealing with Ebay buyers (so far all pleasant experiences)

Died of boredom.

10 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

There are many different types in our hobby/trade

ie

purist

Slabs only

Raws

Seller

Buyer

Where do you see yourself

can you explain some of your categories.. what is a purist? 

I am all the above except seller. never sold a book yet but might have to sell off some of my duplicates cause of my forgetfulness or maybe too "many hits to the head" lol 

as aren't we all purists in some category.. 

purist for slabs 

purist for raws

purist for art

purist for story

purist for creators 

and the list goes on and on.. 

7 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

can you explain some of your categories.. what is a purist? 

I am all the above except seller. never sold a book yet but might have to sell off some of my duplicates cause of my forgetfulness or maybe too "many hits to the head" lol 

A purist is someone who strictly buys comics for the storyline and art. What the hobby was originally intended for I imagine.

For me since I began, I am a slabby