• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Your Incentive Variants that are "Ghosts"/NO WHERE to be found
3 3

69 posts in this topic

Does anyone have this book. I wouldn’t call it a ghost but most times I have seen it offered for sale it hasn’t been in that great of shape. I did see a CGC 9.8 sold back in 2017 but that was two years ago. I saw a copy that looked better than most I’ve seen for sale a few months ago but it was over in Britain.

955A4FC9-995B-4F00-9F4C-24C5231F805E.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Does anyone have this book. I wouldn’t call it a ghost but most times I have seen it offered for sale it hasn’t been in that great of shape. I did see a CGC 9.8 sold back in 2017 but that was two years ago. I saw a copy that looked better than most I’ve seen for sale a few months ago but it was over in Britain.

lol. might have been my 9.8. sold it at start of 2018. super hard to find but got mine from midtown.

7 minutes ago, devald said:

lol. might have been my 9.8. sold it at start of 2018. super hard to find but got mine from midtown.

I’ve owned the cover painting for a number of years now and every now and then I look for a copy of the book. Most have had terrible spine ticks. Maybe someday! I just bought another painting to a retailer incentive but it’s only 1:25 and there are already a bunch listed on eBay so I should be able to find a nice copy at some point...but man that Cap has been bad.

14 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

I’ve owned the cover painting for a number of years now and every now and then I look for a copy of the book. Most have had terrible spine ticks. Maybe someday! I just bought another painting to a retailer incentive but it’s only 1:25 and there are already a bunch listed on eBay so I should be able to find a nice copy at some point...but man that Cap has been bad.

I like your approach. I've been doing the same of getting the book signed and graded as 9.8 to match the cover. so far 4 for 5. 😁

6 hours ago, Mephisto said:

Cap: Living Legend  #2 Brereton. Wicked! I'm thinking about maybe getting the cover art to #3 :)

Edited by prt

8 hours ago, prt said:

Cap: Living Legend  #2 Brereton. Wicked! I'm thinking about maybe getting the cover art to #3 :)

Is that a Granov Cover? I like his stuff but I only collect color paintings and sometime his stuff is black and white art only. I get fooled when I go looking sometimes and it turns out to be black and white.

Edited by Mephisto

13 hours ago, devald said:

I like your approach. I've been doing the same of getting the book signed and graded as 9.8 to match the cover. so far 4 for 5. 😁

I originally wanted to do that with books but just never followed through. I do have at least one blue label CGC 9.8 book for a cover painting I have. I had Jusko sign a few raw corner box issues I have paintings to a few years ago and I had Greg Hildebrandt sign a raw Thor comic I bought the painting to when I went to his house to pick it up. I’ve been tempted to get CGC SS books of these especially the Jusko’s since they come up often but just never have pulled the trigger.

10 hours ago, prt said:

1 hour ago, Mephisto said:

Is that a Granov Cover? I like his stuff but I only collect color paintings and sometime his stuff is black and white art only. I get fooled when I go looking sometimes and it turns out to be black and white.

LOL, Brerton is the artist, Dan Brerton.

Captain-America-Living-Legend-2-Vintage-Brereton-Variant-150-310994604863.thumb.jpg.3465fca7bc90111115fb6ba71c77ec77.jpg

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

LOL, Brerton is the artist, Dan Brerton.

Captain-America-Living-Legend-2-Vintage-Brereton-Variant-150-310994604863.thumb.jpg.3465fca7bc90111115fb6ba71c77ec77.jpg

I was asking @prt if the cover art for 3 he is considering buying was done as Granov. 

I got the painting for issue 2 direct from Brereton a few years back along with the paintings of Zola, Zemo, and the smaller Red Skull image on a separate artboard.

Cool thread and I love seeing rare comics, but are we sure we're all using the 'incentive variant' term properly?  Not that it really matters, but maybe it does?

On 12/11/2019 at 11:50 AM, Mephisto said:

Ah, ok. For sure, I like Granov, also, but no, #3 is a Mike Allred cover. If you'd like to take a look at it, it is the first picture in the thread/topic. :)

3 hours ago, prt said:
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:49 AM, revat said:

Cool thread and I love seeing rare comics, but are we sure we're all using the 'incentive variant' term properly?  Not that it really matters, but maybe it does?

cool.  hm I think so, what do you suggest? :)

probably start gently (and then later viciously) dunking on people who post the wrong type of comic in here, preferably with funny memes.

There's literally a zillion places to post any kind of cool or rare comic, and people can start their own.  So no need to post about them where they don't belong.

I don't have a picture at hand right now but I have the Wolverine #145 Nabisco variant in 9.8 W. I purchased it from an old poster some years back and never seen another since. Seems to be a steady climber as a perennially popular character.

Perhaps a thread on covers errors would be interesting - I have a Bloodshot #1 with the Platinum ink in 9.8. Another one that just doesn't appear. Not quite ASM #667 but not seen in the market.