Fan Expo Dallas 2020 - Cancelled
3 3

153 posts in this topic

123 posts
Posted (edited)

At this point it no longer matters if a show goes off or not 

Tom Hanks Has contracted Covid, That's going to scare the s*** out of Hollywood

and Its likely the stars will start cancelling sooner rather then later 

further the attendance will be abysmal as a very large percentage of potential attendees are simply going to avoid large crowds 

    Ironically MY Costco and BJ's are Jam packed and insane, with some aisles packed end to end.   meanwhile  vehicle traffic is half what it should be, except at supermarkets and big box stores where it is demolition derby day

citizens are going to be cocooning for a while , while this MAY burn out by summer, any spring show unfortunately  is a non starter . Speaking  personally I sell golden age and most of my customers are 30+ , the age group being told to stay home 

   This is extremelly disappointing to me as I was looking forward to Ace Boston and had booked a non refundable hotel . also 2 of my favorite shows are coming soon I am afraid I going to miss the

 

 

 

 

Edited by Golden Memories

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23,197 posts
23 minutes ago, Golden Memories said:

At this point it no longer matters if a show goes off or not 

Tom Hanks Has contracted Covid, That's going to scare the s*** out of Hollywood

and Its likely the stars will start cancelling sooner rather then later 

further the attendance will be abysmal as a very large percentage of potential attendees are simply going to avoid large crowds 

    Ironically MY Costco and BJ's are Jam packed and insane, with some aisles packed end to end.   meanwhile  vehicle traffic is half what it should be, except at supermarkets and big box stores where it is demolition derby day

citizens are going to be cocooning for a while , while this MAY burn out by summer, any spring show unfortunately  is a non starter . Speaking  personally I sell golden age and most of my customers are 30+ , the age group being told to stay home 

   This is extremelly disappointing to me as I was looking forward to Ace Boston and had booked a non refundable hotel . also 2 of my favorite shows are coming soon I am afraid I going to miss the

 

 

 

 

Me too. Usually lots going on this time of year for me not just comics. ALL shows are shut down now for a while. 

You sell GA books? How about a boards sale? Would love to see one. Plenty of people still buying just not at live shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
912 posts
Posted (edited)

FED cancellation should be expected soon.  Dallas county (where FED is held) declared gatherings of 500 people are prohibited.  All the local school districts just extended Spring Break for another week.  

Edited by John91C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,842 posts
2 hours ago, John91C said:

FED cancellation should be expected soon.  Dallas county (where FED is held) declared gatherings of 500 people are prohibited.  All the local school districts just extended Spring Break for another week.  

For now the prohibition is only for a week.  They should still cancel, but it gives them a little bit of wiggle room to hold off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,716 posts
2 hours ago, somewhereintexas said:
5 hours ago, John91C said:

FED cancellation should be expected soon.  Dallas county (where FED is held) declared gatherings of 500 people are prohibited.  All the local school districts just extended Spring Break for another week.  

For now the prohibition is only for a week.  They should still cancel, but it gives them a little bit of wiggle room to hold off.

I think we're beyond containment now anyway, but if it'll give time for health workers to be able to care the sick, I'm all for cancelling or postponing :wishluck: I don't see an end to it though :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
912 posts

Dear Fan,

Due to developments related to COVID-19 and in compliance with recommendations from Dallas County, FAN EXPO Dallas will be postponed until June 19-21, 2020.

All fans will have the following options:

  • Transfer tickets to FAN EXPO Dallas June 19 – 21 dates
  • Transfer tickets to FAN EXPO Dallas 2021 (May 14 – 16)
  • A full refund (excluding service fees - please allow up to 12 weeks)

Please indicate your preferences here by Friday March 27, 2020.

We know everyone will have lots of questions and we appreciate in advance your patience and understanding as we move through them all.

Our thoughts are with our entire community who have been impacted by this unprecedented challenge. Thank you for your continued loyalty.

The FAN EXPO Dallas Team
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,842 posts
Just now, John91C said:

Dear Fan,

Due to developments related to COVID-19 and in compliance with recommendations from Dallas County, FAN EXPO Dallas will be postponed until June 19-21, 2020.

All fans will have the following options:

  • Transfer tickets to FAN EXPO Dallas June 19 – 21 dates
  • Transfer tickets to FAN EXPO Dallas 2021 (May 14 – 16)
  • A full refund (excluding service fees - please allow up to 12 weeks)

Please indicate your preferences here by Friday March 27, 2020.

We know everyone will have lots of questions and we appreciate in advance your patience and understanding as we move through them all.

Our thoughts are with our entire community who have been impacted by this unprecedented challenge. Thank you for your continued loyalty.

The FAN EXPO Dallas Team
 

Doesn't seem right that if you just want a refund instead of committing to an event for which you're unsure of the guest lineup that you get stuck with the service fees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,174 posts

If you are going to the June date(s).  Don't forget about parking.

I went into Spot Hero and it said the parking I selected was not available in June.  So I cancelled the reservation.

Went right back into Spot Hero to look for what WAS available and the same WAS available for $5 cheaper.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,777 posts

I'll probably defer to May 14-16 of next year because I believe there is a good chance the June 19-21 dates will get pushed out again or cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,716 posts
2 hours ago, musicmeta said:

I'll probably defer to May 14-16 of next year because I believe there is a good chance the June 19-21 dates will get pushed out again or cancelled.

I went the other route, that it may be like the flu die off in summer and come back next winter. If in fact June dates get cancelled, they'll again defer to 2021, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,777 posts
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I went the other route, that it may be like the flu die off in summer and come back next winter. If in fact June dates get cancelled, they'll again defer to 2021, right?

I would think so.  I haven't done anything yet.  Still thinking either June or May 2021 for me..hm  I'll make up my mind this weekend sometime.. Be nice to go in June though...

Edited by musicmeta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,716 posts
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

I would think so.  I haven't done anything yet.  Still thinking either June or May 2021 for me..hm  I'll make up my mind this weekend sometime.. Be nice to go in June though...

I still never got the email to transfer, I had to be sent the link by a friend, but I'm not the one who bought my ticket. My name is on the ticket, along with email but the card payment wasn't mine, as it was a gift. I wasn't sure how to transfer, so I did it several different ways hoping it'd get worked out.

I used the transaction and my email, and a mixture my name, purchasers name

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,031 posts
5 hours ago, John91C said:

Dear Fan,

Due to developments related to COVID-19 and in compliance with recommendations from Dallas County, FAN EXPO Dallas will be postponed until June 19-21, 2020.

All fans will have the following options:

  • Transfer tickets to FAN EXPO Dallas June 19 – 21 dates
  • Transfer tickets to FAN EXPO Dallas 2021 (May 14 – 16)
  • A full refund (excluding service fees - please allow up to 12 weeks)

Please indicate your preferences here by Friday March 27, 2020.

We know everyone will have lots of questions and we appreciate in advance your patience and understanding as we move through them all.

Our thoughts are with our entire community who have been impacted by this unprecedented challenge. Thank you for your continued loyalty.

The FAN EXPO Dallas Team
 

This will take 6 months to a year to hopefully be over but maybe longer. No use in scheduling for June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
510 posts
Posted (edited)

I have a friend in NYC who is the co-runner of a sci-fi con that runs in early April. She shared on Facebook some behind the scenes details of what organizers are agonizing over when having to consider canceling or postponing their events.

You can read it if you’d like to know more.

 SFWA Covid19 message

 

Edited by ChrispyC66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,777 posts

Now that SDCC has cancelled for this year and it's in July. It really makes we wonder if Fan Expo Dallas is still going to have it this year in June...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,061 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

Now that SDCC has cancelled for this year and it's in July. It really makes we wonder if Fan Expo Dallas is still going to have it this year in June...

I think it'll depend on how much Texas (and Dallas specifically) relaxes restrictions by then. I imagine the SDCC decision was made at least partially due to the fact that the convention center is being used for relief work. I haven't heard anything similar for the Kay Bailey. If it does happen there will be a lot of masks and a lot of hand sanitizer, and hopefully a lot of comic shoppers.

Edited by mysterio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,716 posts
Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2020 at 5:42 PM, mysterio said:
On 4/17/2020 at 4:46 PM, musicmeta said:

Now that SDCC has cancelled for this year and it's in July. It really makes we wonder if Fan Expo Dallas is still going to have it this year in June...

I think it'll depend on how much Texas (and Dallas specifically) relaxes restrictions by then. I imagine the SDCC decision was made at least partially due to the fact that the convention center is being used for relief work. I haven't heard anything similar for the Kay Bailey. If it does happen there will be a lot of masks and a lot of hand sanitizer, and hopefully a lot of comic shoppers.

Lord willing I'll still be there with bells on, if CGC goes then I'll definitely go (thumbsu :wishluck: 

If not it'll depend on other life members who want me to go etc. 

Still now that they are easing up restrictions up a little idk, maybe it'll wind up group safe to attend a con in June :) but the judge of "Dallas" has been the most strict, which I admire, because if he ends up giving the "OK" then I'll definitely feel comfortable at the con....

The wheels at this point are in motion, will have to wait to see if it crosses the finish line!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,061 posts

Heroes Con has canceled, and they were scheduled for the same weekend as this rescheduled FE Dallas...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,716 posts
7 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Heroes Con has canceled, and they were scheduled for the same weekend as this rescheduled FE Dallas...

Are they same state, Texas? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3