• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Record for Marvel Comics 1
4 4

175 posts in this topic

The Windy City MC 1 (CGC 9.4 OW) on Heritage has now officially entered into record price territory at $492K (with buyer's premium).

Five days to go.  How high will it fly?  

I continue to think it should top the San Francisco/Reilly CA 1 (CGC 9.4 W) that hit $915K in August. 

But will it beat out the All Star 8 (CGC 9.4 W)? 

Can it become the eighth example of a comic book and fourth issue (with Action 1, D27 and AF 15) to top $1M?  

You tell me.

Edited by sfcityduck

12 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The Windy City MC 1 (CGC 9.4 OW) on Heritage has now officially entered into record price territory at $492K (with buyer's premium).

Five days to go.  How high will it fly?  

I continue to think it should top the San Francisco/Reilly CA 1 (CGC 9.4 W) that hit $915K in August. 

But will it beat out the All Star 8 (CGC 9.4 W)? 

Can it become the eighth example of a comic book and fourth issue (with Action 1, D27 and AF 15) to top $1M?  

You tell me.

You may have missed the discussion, but some book mechanic tortured the book into a 9.4. 

8 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

You may have missed the discussion, but some book mechanic tortured the book into a 9.4. 

I was in it.  We'll see if it matters in this market - after all, look at what happened to the Action 1 (CGC 9.0 W) that was "upgraded."

Edited by sfcityduck

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I was in it.  We'll see if it matters in this market - after all, look at what happened to the Action 1 (CGC 9.0 W) that was "upgraded."

good point. I think for me the bloom is off the rose on that book, but there are many deep pockets out there that are not on the boards and have no clue as to the shenanigans afoot

I can't imagine All Star #8 being in the same ballpark as Marvel Comics #1.

Call it personal preference, but that boggles the mind. 

For anywhere near the same money, I'm going MC1 all day every day.

Nothing against Wonder Woman (and I've had more than one copy of Sensation #1, WW #1, and AS #8), but I never had any interest in keepng a copy of All Star #8.

Marvel Comics #1 is one of my few true grails in this hobby.

1 hour ago, Westy Steve said:

There was a time when that book was running neck and neck with action one and detective 27. I wonder if the only reason that stopped happening was because no high-grade specimens have come to auction for a long time? If true this book might surprise people.

Just the opposite.  It was the constant stream of high-grade specimens, at a time when almost no Action 1s and Tec 27s were publicly coming up for sale, that killed the valuation of MC 1.

The complete absence of high grade MC 1s from the market for ages is, in my opinion, one of the reasons why this books might do well.  Well, that and the manipulation of its grade up to the magical 9.4 level.

9 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
10 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Are you referring to the Action 1 that was supposedly stored in a cedar chest, been in the hands of a dealer for 30 years, and had never been publicly offered for sale:

Are you saying that we should not believe this hype story about the Action 1 and the fact that these 2 guys in the video are deliberately misleading any potential bidders by leaving out some rather significant facts about the history and timeline of the book?  hm

Now, I would find that absolutely impossible to believe.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

59 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

now @735K (w/ BP) :whatthe: and still 5d to go, to hell with shenanigans lets chase that number top corner of the label.

The marketplace has long made clear that in the new era of comics as baseball cards, pressing and related techniques are expected not frowned upon.