• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Record for Marvel Comics 1
4 4

175 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Peter;

I am actually surprised you are willing to go so high on the book so early since it's still got another 4 days left to go.  :whatthe:  :baiting:

Seriously though, I guess this pretty much answers the question as to whether it's going to pass the SF copy of Cap 1, the highest graded copy of AS 8, or whether it's going to cross the $million dollar mark or not.  :flipbait:

30 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Peter;

I am actually surprised you are willing to go so high on the book so early since it's still got another 4 days left to go.  :whatthe:  :baiting:

Seriously though, I guess this pretty much answers the question as to whether it's going to pass the SF copy of Cap 1, the highest graded copy of AS 8, or whether it's going to cross the $million dollar mark or not.  :flipbait:

I think clearly it should beat AS8.... I would take the Marvel 1 over it. Marvel 1 is a great book, I own the reprint volume. that marvel did many years ago and an amazing cover. The issue is which would I take Marvel 1 vs Cap 1 SF copy....well I think 20 years from now the Cap#1  will surpass the Marvel #1...for years it was age discrimination in that its 1939 vs a 1941 book in the GA and surely Cap #1 has come a long way but in the earlier days of collecting that made a Difference..to a number of early GA collectors. Of course the Marvel movies has placed Cap above the SM/HT but also the fact of Motion pictures funnies #1, which was their first published appearance might give a slight edge on the very First appearance of Cap. I think both books are classic, and Cap one is a especially great read......Marvel might crack the 1 Mil level first...but I predict that Cap will get to 2 mil first. I might be in the minority but I rank the top 7 Ga books as Action 1, Det 27, Cap#1, Superman1, Batman 1, Whiz#2( very underpriced), and Marvel #1.

Edited by Mmehdy

6 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I think clearly it should beat AS8.... I would take the Marvel 1 over it. Marvel 1 is a great book, I own the reprint volume. that marvel did many years ago and an amazing cover. The issue is which would I take Marvel 1 vs Cap 1 SF copy....well I think 20 years from now the Cap#1  will surpass the Marvel #1...for years it was age discrimination in that its 1939 vs a 1941 book in the GA and surely Cap #1 has come a long way but in the earlier days of collecting that made a Difference..to a number of early GA collectors. Of course the Marvel movies has placed Cap above the SM/HT but also the fact of Motion pictures funnies #1, which was their first published appearance might give a slight edge on the very First appearance of Cap. I think both books are classic, and Cap one is a especially great read......Marvel might crack the 1 Mil level first...but I predict that Cap will get to 2 mil first. I might be in the minority but I rank the top 7 Ga books as Action 1, Det 27, Cap#1, Superman1, Batman 1, Whiz#2( very underpriced), and Marvel #1.

I  Think Marvel Comics 1  is the birth of the Marvel Universe. To me it ranks 3rd. Cap 1 is great.... But the movies brought him there. Now that Evans is out. I dont see him having as much growth as Submariner with his long awaited MCU debut. The first Mutant. 

Also scarcity factor. Only 30 unrestored Marvel 1    and 33 unrestored   for a total 63

Cap 1   83 unrestored  and  for a 

total of 170

Also many  many more ungraded Cap 1 in the wild than Marvel 1.

1939 to 1941.... Is not 1989 to 1991

No one cared or collected Timely before Marvel 1. So more people held on to Cap 1 than Marvel. 2 years of growing fan base. 

Marvel Comics 1 even held the no1 spot over action 1 and tec 27 in the 80s and was a solid 3rd for most of the 90s

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

there goes my  777 K prediction...

Btw Mitch. You are a wealth information and truly appreciate your input. 

We cant always be right. You predicted the 30k action comics superman page. When they were selling for 3-5k in 2011!

That and many more forecasts!

20 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

There was a time when that book was running neck and neck with action one and detective 27. I wonder if the only reason that stopped happening was because no high-grade specimens have come to auction for a long time? If true this book might surprise people.

Correct. A high grade hasnt been offered since the 2010 first million dollar sale explosion. Marvel 1 was even at the Top of the Overstreet guide in the 80s. Also neck and neck as you said  in the 90s

52 minutes ago, zen514 said:

Correct. A high grade hasnt been offered since the 2010 first million dollar sale explosion. Marvel 1 was even at the Top of the Overstreet guide in the 80s. Also neck and neck as you said  in the 90s

I remember. Another factor is apparent when you ask Mr. Joe Sixpack on the street to name a comic book company. The average non-collector/reader only knows marvel comics or they know none at all.  In my humble opinion it’s the top of the pyramid of the Marvel comic book universe.  

On 11/15/2019 at 2:48 PM, sfcityduck said:

The Windy City MC 1 (CGC 9.4 OW) on Heritage has now officially entered into record price territory at $492K (with buyer's premium).

Five days to go.  How high will it fly?  

I continue to think it should top the San Francisco/Reilly CA 1 (CGC 9.4 W) that hit $915K in August. 

But will it beat out the All Star 8 (CGC 9.4 W)? 

Can it become the eighth example of a comic book and fourth issue (with Action 1, D27 and AF 15) to top $1M?  

You tell me.

It should.  Outside my pay grade, but that’s a museum piece.  If one were to choose 10 copies of issues on the planet to represent the history of the hobby, that book might make the list.

18 hours ago, batman_fan said:
19 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

The marketplace has long made clear that in the new era of comics as baseball cards, pressing and related techniques are expected not frowned upon.

Not sure that is entirely true.  A portion of collectors have taken that approach and a portion hasn't.

The ones willing to spend big bucks are clearly on the pro-pressing side.

7 minutes ago, Bookery said:

I must be even old timier! (???).  I know it will never be valued as highly, but I think historically Marvel 1 is far more significant than Tec 27.  Batman was just another character added to DC's already established roster (albeit a major, major one).  Still -- Batman brings nothing new to literature other than being in the comics... almost everything about him was lifted from a melding of pulp and movie sources.  Marvel 1 initiates the beginning of tens of thousands of issues and thousands of Marvel characters... not just super-heroes, but western, humor, romance, crime, horror, etc.  DC would have still been a successful company even had Batman never been invented.  But Captain America, etc., etc., wouldn't even exist without Marvel #1.  (Though I could delve even further into heresy territory and point out that one might make a case that the Ka-Zar #1 pulp from 1936 actually kicked off the Marvel hero universe....) :whistle:

Continuing that heresy:  

Captain America was not even the first patriotic hero (Shield), was not the Marvel hero who appeared in the most comic issues of the GA (Subby), was not the Marvel hero who was published for the longest timespan of the GA (Subby), was not the first Marvel GA hero by S&K to debut in his own book (Red Raven), was not the first anti-Nazi cover (Amazing Man), and was not the first anti-Nazi cover on a Marvel/Timely comic (look at MMC 11 as one of many examples).  So CA 1 brings nothing new to comics, but a character, and he's not one of my favorite characters.

And for me the cover to CA 1 is not in my personal top 10 favorite covers for GA Marvels (I much prefer Schomburg).  

So I'd much rather have an MC 1.  

31 minutes ago, Bookery said:

I must be even old timier! (???).  I know it will never be valued as highly, but I think historically Marvel 1 is far more significant than Tec 27.  Batman was just another character added to DC's already established roster (albeit a major, major one).  Still -- Batman brings nothing new to literature other than being in the comics... almost everything about him was lifted from a melding of pulp and movie sources.  Marvel 1 initiates the beginning of tens of thousands of issues and thousands of Marvel characters... not just super-heroes, but western, humor, romance, crime, horror, etc.  DC would have still been a successful company even had Batman never been invented.  But Captain America, etc., etc., wouldn't even exist without Marvel #1.  (Though I could delve even further into heresy territory and point out that one might make a case that the Ka-Zar #1 pulp from 1936 actually kicked off the Marvel hero universe....) :whistle:

I'm good with that. Action 1, Marvel 1, then Tec 27 :D