• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Record for Marvel Comics 1
4 4

175 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Which one of those 3 have  the biggest cool factor to the average joe on the street.  First superhero / Superman. First marvel comic. Or first bat man ???

First superhero/Superman (Action #1). Man in the street has no idea Batman first appeared in the 27th issue of an anthology series (Detective).

13 minutes ago, circumstances said:

First superhero/Superman (Action #1). Man in the street has no idea Batman first appeared in the 27th issue of an anthology series (Detective).

If you laid it out for them :

1.  This is the first Superman Comic Book which is also the first “ superhero “comic book   
2.  This is the comic that started it all for Marvel Comics. 
3. This comic book is the very first storied appearance of Batman in comics 

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
1 hour ago, circumstances said:

I'm good with that. Action 1, Marvel 1, then Tec 27 :D

:whatthe:  Everyone knows it goes Tec 27, Tec 27, Action 1, Marvel 1

Actually it's Tec 27 and the others.

24 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

If you laid it out for them :

1.  This is the first Superman Comic Book which is also the first “ superhero “comic book   
2.  This is the comic that started it all for Marvel Comics. 
3. This comic book is the very first storied appearance of Batman in comics 

Good question. I try not to associate with the average joe on the street. If you asked three randos you might get three different answers.

3 hours ago, Bookery said:
18 hours ago, circumstances said:

Action 1, Tec 27, and Marvel 1 will always be the big 3 to me.

I must be old timey!

I must be even old timier! (???).  I know it will never be valued as highly, but I think historically Marvel 1 is far more significant than Tec 27.  Batman was just another character added to DC's already established roster (albeit a major, major one).  Still -- Batman brings nothing new to literature other than being in the comics... almost everything about him was lifted from a melding of pulp and movie sources.  Marvel 1 initiates the beginning of tens of thousands of issues and thousands of Marvel characters... not just super-heroes, but western, humor, romance, crime, horror, etc.  DC would have still been a successful company even had Batman never been invented.  But Captain America, etc., etc., wouldn't even exist without Marvel #1.  (Though I could delve even further into heresy territory and point out that one might make a case that the Ka-Zar #1 pulp from 1936 actually kicked off the Marvel hero universe....) :whistle:

Yes, I must be getting really old here as I still clearly remember when all 3 of these books used to swim in the same deep end of the pool. :preach:

Marvel 1 was definitely in demand back then and I remembered one prominent comic book broker at the time saying he had no problem acquiring the Church DC keys from Chuck, but when it came to the Marvel 1, that was a completely different story.  He apparently did managed to acquired it from Chuck in the end since that was his #1 want, but apparently only at a much heftier price tag.  By then, he had already disposed of all of his Church DC keys in frustration after not being able to acquire the book (i.e. Marvel 1) which he really wanted.

3 hours ago, circumstances said:

I'm good with that. Action 1, Marvel 1, then Tec 27 :D

Definitely also my Top 3, although my order would be slightly different.  (thumbsu

It would be Action 1, 'Tec 27, and then Marvel 1.  

Surprisingly, although there's a lot of talk about Cap 1 in these kinds of threads here, personally I would take a Pep 22 over a Cap 1 if it's in grade.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely also my Top 3, although my order would be slightly different.  (thumbsu

It would be Action 1, 'Tec 27, and then Marvel 1.  

Surprisingly, although there's a lot of talk about Cap 1 in these kinds of threads here, personally I would take a Pep 22 over a Cap 1 if it's in grade.  :whatthe:  :takeit:

Pep 22 is hard to argue with. The only mega key that is truly rare ? ( relatively speaking ) 

37 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Since when is average joe on the street dropping a million plus for a comic?

Wasn’t saying purchase. Just which one resonates more on the Fonzie scale 

Edited by Chicago Boy

4 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Which one of those 3 have  the biggest cool factor to the average joe on the street.  First superhero / Superman. First marvel comic. Or first bat man ???

None. Remember getting beat up and bullied because you were a collector? I do. lol

14 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

None. Remember getting beat up and bullied because you were a collector? I do. lol

Tell me who these Canadian bullies are Roy,I'll hunt em down and give them atomic elbows all around,just cause you love Marvel #1 so much.And had MPWF.:sumo:Neutron suplexes too.

Just now, porcupine48 said:

Tell me who these Canadian bullies are Roy,I'll hunt em down and give them atomic elbows all around,just cause you love Marvel #1 so much.And had MPWF.:sumo:Neutron suplexes too.

They apologized a few years ago at a high school reunion. No need to muscle 'em any more! :wink:

4 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

They apologized a few years ago at a high school reunion. No need to muscle 'em any more! :wink:

It takes a big man to apologise Roy.

Oh, what the heck. Let's duff em up anyway :)

30 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Marvel #1 all the way.

Marvel #1 is an old school collector's comic book.

Cap #1 is a new school collector's comic book. Not that I dislike Cap #1 but to my recollection (and I will readily admit to being a noob comparatively speaking to other old timers) it wasn't nearly as sought after before the growth of the Marvel Cinematic universe as Marvel #1 was.

Marvel #1 was the book I always dreamed about as a kid (not Cap #1) and it remains my favorite comic book of all time.

agreed 100 Roy :x

6 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Since when is average joe on the street dropping a million plus for a comic?

Because comic nerds crave the respect and endorsement of average joes on the street. :gossip: