• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Record for Marvel Comics 1
4 4

175 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

"posture" for posit.  "had of" for had have [and even that is awkward].   i'll bet lex is sorry he "postured" on that cover with our g.a.tor.

wpenn.jpg

No. I meant posture. Tongue and cheek pal. 

1 minute ago, Straw-Man said:

"tongue in cheek" my brother.   this is when to quit while you're behind.

+1

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:
4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Again, not disparaging it’s historical significance just that it is not close to being the 3rd most valuable today, but maybe it will again 

It might not be the third most valuable, but if it sells for what it is apparently going to sell for it could be the second most expensive.

A question here since the both of you are dealers, and as such, should have a much better handle on the marketplace. (thumbsu

Any idea if there is another pedigree copy or any copy for that matter of Marvel Comics 1 that might grade higher than this CGC 8.5 9.0 9.4 9.6 graded copy? hm

Oh........:facepalm:   My bad as I must have been looking too far ahead.  

I meant a 9.6 9.4 graded copy.  :devil:

51 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

very likely true....but Marvel 1 was a Timely publication, that then became Atlas, rested a while and then was rebranded in 1961 (super heroes) as Marvel...who is to say that Stan and Jack et al wouldn't have still formed a "marvel" comics even if timely had of never existed (unlikely but possible)...DC was DC with superman and batman etc from the start, and published these main characters non stop...most of Marvels recognized characters didn't come into existence till 1961...so I posture "Marvel" would still be "Marvel" today, even if Marvel 1 had of never been published (in some form or another)

hm

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

ped mc 1's ending in "city" are cool!

KansasCity.jpg

I always wonder where some of my better acquisitions over the years ended up (maybe to someone on here?).  About 15 years ago I owned a MC#1, also 7.0 restored.  It was easy to identify.  The only restoration done was that 3 small binder holes were filled-in (the holes were about half the size that a modern 3-hole punche makes).  It received the "extensive restoration" designation because the holes were filled-in on every page (!), as opposed to just the cover (which would have seemed to be sufficient for most collectors).

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

I always wonder where some of my better acquisitions over the years ended up (maybe to someone on here?).  About 15 years ago I owned a MC#1, also 7.0 restored.  It was easy to identify.  The only restoration done was that 3 small binder holes were filled-in (the holes were about half the size that a modern 3-hole punche makes).  It received the "extensive restoration" designation because the holes were filled-in on every page (!), as opposed to just the cover (which would have seemed to be sufficient for most collectors).

I knew I had seen a Marvel 1 on your store.  I remember that book!  I picked up a More Fun 14 that you had acquired from the original owner that day.  

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

A question here since the both of you are dealers, and as such, should have a much better handle on the marketplace. (thumbsu

Any idea if there is another pedigree copy or any copy for that matter of Marvel Comics 1 that might grade higher than this CGC 8.5 9.0 9.4 9.6 graded copy? hm

Ok, all kidding aside and on a more serious note.................anybody here have any idea where the Allentown Copy of Marvel 1 would stack up against this Windy City Copy?  ???

Especially since the Allentown Copy was graded as a VF/NM copy (with a small tear) by Payette at the time and we all know his reputation as being a very tough and strict grader.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Ok, all kidding aside and on a more serious note.................anybody here have any idea where the Allentown Copy of Marvel 1 would stack up against this Windy City Copy?  ???

Especially since the Allentown Copy was graded as a VF/NM copy (with a small tear) by Payette at the time and we all know his reputation as being a very tough and strict grader.  (thumbsu

Allentown (R) vs. Windy City

MC1(92ow)Allentown+RESTO.jpg

MC1(94ow)windy.jpg

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I owned it for many years when it was a 9.2 sp 

I heard it’s a 9.4 conserved now?

On 11/15/2019 at 9:05 PM, lou_fine said:
On 11/15/2019 at 11:10 AM, sfcityduck said:
On 11/15/2019 at 11:02 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

You may have missed the discussion, but some book mechanic tortured the book into a 9.4. 

I was in it.  We'll see if it matters in this market - after all, look at what happened to the Action 1 (CGC 9.0 W) that was "upgraded."

Are you referring to the Action 1 that was supposedly stored in a cedar chest, been in the hands of a dealer for 30 years, and had never been publicly offered for sale:

Are you saying that we should not believe this hype story about the Action 1 and the fact that these 2 guys in the video are deliberately misleading any potential bidders by leaving out some rather significant facts about the history and timeline of the book?  hm

Now, I would find that absolutely impossible to believe.  :devil:

Wow... what a fantastic story! A "cedar chest" Action Comics #1 stored in a pristine environment for decades unspoiled by human hands discovered by happenstance. It’s the stuff that dreams are made of.

Too bad it is was all BS. A fairy tale sold from a carnival barker perspective to collectors who love a story.  lol  (tsk)

47 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

Wow... what a fantastic story! A "cedar chest" Action Comics #1 stored in a pristine environment for decades unspoiled by human hands discovered by happenstance. It’s the stuff that dreams are made of.

Too bad it is was all BS. A fairy tale sold from a carnival barker perspective to collectors who love a story.  lol  (tsk)

Well, as we all know here, the book was purchased in the end by the 2 architects behind the Impossible Collection (i.e. Fishler & Vinnie) who compiled the collection on behalf of Ayman Hariri, the son of the former Lebanese prime minister.  (thumbsu

I guess when you are a wealthy billionaire, you can afford to have both of the highest graded copies of Action 1 in your collection, along with so many other primo books that were unveiled as part of his collection back in 2016.  :takeit:

Does anybody remember if he already has a copy of Marvel 1 in his collection or will he possibly be going after this particular copy here, even though the common belief was that he was done with collecting by the time his public exhibition took place?  hm

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:
6 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Well, as we all know here, the book was purchased in the end by the 2 architects behind the Impossible Collection (i.e. Fishler & Vinnie) who compiled the collection on behalf of Ayman Hariri, the son of the former Lebanese prime minister.  (thumbsu

I guess when you are a wealthy billionaire, you can afford to have both of the highest graded copies of Action 1 in your collection, along with so many other primo books that were unveiled as part of his collection back in 2016. 

Ahh, yes... since the real story of the book was actually being discussed here on the boards where it was revealed to be a recycled CGC copy that started out as an 8.0 with glue on the cover, manipulated into an 8.5, and then eventually into a 9.0 by way of extensive dry cleaning, let's present Mr. Hariri with an award to showcase next to his cedar chest treasure...  :insane:

MG_AWARD_8.0-8.5-9.0.jpg