• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Record for Marvel Comics 1
4 4

175 posts in this topic

Reminds me of the Detective 27 purchased by Todd McDevitt that was supposedly in an attic but turned out to have been in the possession of one of the more interesting people involved in the hobby who had it for years.

2 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Reminds me of the Detective 27 purchased by Todd McDevitt that was supposedly in an attic but turned out to have been in the possession of one of the more interesting people involved in the hobby who had it for years.

Was there a board consensus If the bottom front cover was trimmed ?

5 hours ago, MasterChief said:

Ahh, yes... since the real story of the book was actually being discussed here on the boards where it was revealed to be a recycled CGC copy that started out as an 8.0 with glue on the cover, manipulated into an 8.5, and then eventually into a 9.0 by way of extensive dry cleaning, let's present Mr. Hariri with an award to showcase next to his cedar chest treasure...  :insane:

MG_AWARD_8.0-8.5-9.0.jpg

Dr Alchemy  lol

How high will it go!?! I had a conservative estimated value at around $850k due to the history about the book but man this is also pretty cool to see. 

I can think of a few reasons why we are at this price point:

A) Some of the top bidders for this book have no known knowledge that the book was previously an 8.5, now upgraded to a 9.4

B) Maybe they knew but the extensive historical timeline of this book to where it is  now (thanks to Masterchief and others who have contributed), the Windy City copy, has played a major role to its value 

C) This is the highest graded copy so far and prospective buyers want to own this book at all costs.. Period.

D) Combination of any or all of the above

Nevertheless, whatever the reasons are as to why it's up to this point is certainly exciting for me. Gonna be fun to watch and see what the final hammer price is :popcorn:

"Some of the top bidders for this book have no known knowledge that the book was previously an 8.5, now upgraded to a 9.4"

If you're spending this kind of bread on anything is it not  common sense that you (or someone you employ) do as much research as possible on the item - its specific provenance; market trends; past sales etc etc??

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

"Some of the top bidders for this book have no known knowledge that the book was previously an 8.5, now upgraded to a 9.4"

If you're spending this kind of bread on anything is it not  common sense that you (or someone you employ)) to do as much research as possible on the item - its specific provenance; market trends; past sales etc etc??

I agree, but not everyone has the time to do that just because they have a lot of expendable cash to spend on a funny book.  Sometimes they just want the best of the best and bragging rights. Who cares what the previous history was. Book looks good, fits my uber high grade collection, I'll take it! 

6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

How high will it go!?! I had a conservative estimated value at around $850k due to the history about the book but man this is also pretty cool to see. 

I can think of a few reasons why we are at this price point:

C) This is the highest graded copy so far and prospective buyers want to own this book at all costs.. Period.

The now common "All I care about is the number and colour of the label" thinking.

:whistle:

1 hour ago, Primetime said:
10 hours ago, zen514 said:

Marvel Comics 1 is the birth of Marvel.

Still undervalued compared to Cap1(MCU popularity) 

30 unrestored cgc copies 

Historically, can’t beat Marvel 1. Easily has trumped Cap 1 in all my years of collecting. 

You two should definitely be careful of what you post on public boards.  :gossip:

Especially if Mitch comes on here and see your words of sacrilege and you two end up being cursed for the rest of your living days.  (tsk)  lol

Edited by lou_fine

With much anticipation I watched the auction today while juggling work at the office. I honestly was expecting fireworks and a tug-of-war for the MC#1. However, the live auction was anticlimactic for me as it appeared as though only two bidders were involved. And, if I remember correctly, the auction was extended just once after it was announced as about to close.

In any event, the history of the 1939 publication, the Wind City pedigree story, and the run-up to the auction was enough to motivate me toward purchasing the Folio Society exclusive of Marvel: The Golden Age 1939-1949.

I received it a couple weeks ago and only tonight did I have the courage to break it out. Great looking stuff, true to form. The Marvel Comics #1 is a magnificent exemplar of the historic book. It also included a special structural characteristic, too. A non-color breaking pressable defect in the upper right corner of the cover!  lol

MC-1_FS.jpg