• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Record for Marvel Comics 1
4 4

175 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Phill the Governor said:
10 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

So it was cleaned? Why wasn't that disclosed?

And the fact that it was "naked for years" certainly points to some sort of flaw, possibly of character.

Because dry-cleaning a comic book is even less invasive than washing a car. There is no need, what-so-ever, to have to disclose proper dry-cleaning.

Bedrock was being sarcastic. :gossip:

My wife, who still calls boba fett "bob fett" (knows zero about comics), sent me an article about it asking if I had a copy...  lol  Big news which was pretty cool.  I guessed 1.25m early on.  Books like this draw attention from outside the circle so you can bet on record breaking prices.

20 hours ago, Timely said:

Conspiracies! I'd sure like to know more about this.

As the pregrader on the book when I was working at cgc, I was the first person to see it. The book sure looked like an attic find as it had a thin layer of dirt and dust on the cover that I had to gently wipe off with a tissue. It had clearly been stored naked for years! No collector I know of would do that. It is possible that the book had been recently found and traded hands once or twice.

Do you remember if it was a blue or purple label, and what grade it received? And were the Siamese pages still there? At least two boardies who know all of the people involved -including Dupcak and his ex- are convinced Dupcak is the guy who sold the Tec to Todd.

Edited by Larryw7

On 11/21/2019 at 2:36 PM, pemart1966 said:

"Some of the top bidders for this book have no known knowledge that the book was previously an 8.5, now upgraded to a 9.4"

If you're spending this kind of bread on anything is it not  common sense that you (or someone you employ) do as much research as possible on the item - its specific provenance; market trends; past sales etc etc??

(thumbsu

Edited by fishbone

On 11/22/2019 at 12:02 PM, Hepcat said:

No. I think they simply don't care whether and how the comic has been cosmetically "enhanced" because they don't care about the comic, only the encased label.

:frown:

That’s fair, but part of me feels that if the book was not a “tortured 9.4”, it would’ve sold for even more money.

Edited by Westy Steve

On 11/21/2019 at 12:27 PM, zen514 said:

Marvel Comics 1 is the birth of Marvel.

Still undervalued compared to Cap1(MCU popularity) 

30 unrestored cgc copies 

For the record, I put Cap 1 way above Marvel 1 long before the MCU existed. 

Granted, I could never afford either, but still, my opinion kinda matters.  Somehow :)

2 hours ago, Westy Steve said:
On 11/22/2019 at 9:02 AM, Hepcat said:

No. I think they simply don't care whether and how the comic has been cosmetically "enhanced" because they don't care about the comic, only the encased label.

:frown:

That’s fair, but part of me feels that if the book was not a “tortured 9.4”, it would’ve sold for even more money.

Needless to say, you are definitely not the only one as Heritage changed their pre-auction estimate for this book from $2M down to only $1M after it was outed by a couple board members here as being a CGC 8.5 graded copy which was then regraded as a CGC 9.0 copy before acheiving its current CGC 9.4 grade.  hm

Some boardies here seem to believe this initial $2M figure was really nothing more than a typo on Heritage's part, but I find that kind of hard to believe they would make a mistake like that twice in their initial hype and promotion for the book.  

2 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Granted, I could never afford either, but still, my opinion kinda matters.  Somehow :)

If Marvel 1 wasnt a success there would be no Cap 1. The grandaddy of Marvel Universe. Always was more significant.

But to each there own. We all enjoy and collect different comics!

5 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

I believe it would have sold north of 2 million if it were a newly discovered 9.4 

7 hours ago, zen514 said:
13 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

I believe it would have sold north of 2 million if it were a newly discovered 9.4 

You never know what might have happened if it wasn't flagged here on the boards as a previously lower graded copy, which I am sure Heritage should have known about right from the start.  (shrug)

At least, we didn't get a long extended video from them claiming it to be another one of these "cedar chest" finds that had been locked away for decades, and of course filtering out key details of the book at the same time.  Or did some bad boardies cut them off at the pass before they got a chance to release this promo video.  lol  :devil:

11 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Captain America 1 is undisputedly one of the coolest books out there, but still only about half as cool as Marvel Comics 1.

1 hour ago, circumstances said:

Captain America 1 is undisputedly one of the coolest books out there, but still only about half as cool as Marvel Comics 1.

I think one of the nifty things about Marvel #1, for me, is it just looks more antiquarian than other comics, even Action #1.  This is mostly because of the Frank R. Paul cover, who even by 1939 still had the same style he employed for pulps in the 1920s.  The logo is also a bit more pulp-influenced than some.  Amazing Man #1 is another whose cover style makes the book seem even older than it is.  Neither cover, from an aesthetic sense, is actually particularly well-done (Shuster wasn't a great artist, but Action #1 is certainly a superior cover to the other two), but somehow the more primitive and subdued tones of those two appeal to me.

3 minutes ago, Bookery said:

I think one of the nifty things about Marvel #1, for me, is it just looks more antiquarian than other comics, even Action #1.  This is mostly because of the Frank R. Paul cover, who even by 1939 still had the same style he employed for pulps in the 1920s.  The logo is also a bit more pulp-influenced than some.  Amazing Man #1 is another whose cover style makes the book seem even older than it is.  Neither cover, from an aesthetic sense, is actually particularly well-done (Shuster wasn't a great artist, but Action #1 is certainly a superior cover to the other two), but somehow the more primitive and subdued tones of those two appeal to me.

It's the coolestest. :acclaim:

If I love it hard enough,one day,maybe,just maybe I'll have one of my very own,missing a back cover or something lol 

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

I couldn't agree more.

And you meant Amazing Man #5?

15 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

True dat...

But if both books were sitting on the newsstand at the same day and I only had 10 cents in my pocket, my Mercury dime would go to Cap1. That being said, Marvel 1 is the Timely that eventually launch the Marvel universe. 

Although Action 1 launched superheroes, it isn’t even close to launching DC. 

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately at the shallow end of the pool where many of us swim in, it'll almost assuredly be the FRONT cover that's missing.  :wink:

If I gave up allll my comics,records and toys,swinging a restored front cover could,possibly,you never know,happen! lol Like I could let all my friend collectables go though!I'll never give up hope.Heck-if it was coverless but complete I'd be more than on cloud nine,as long as it wasn't brittle and I could read it.Probably be more comfortable with it then,to be honest.

15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

True dat...

But if both books were sitting on the newsstand at the same day and I only had 10 cents in my pocket, my Mercury dime would go to Cap1. That being said, Marvel 1 is the Timely that eventually launch the Marvel universe. 

Although Action 1 launched superheroes, it isn’t even close to launching DC. 

Well If Marvel 1 (1939)wasn't a success then they would have never printed Cap1 (1941)over a year later.  There would be no Captain america!! The Success of Namor and human torch were the genesis of marvels super heroes.

Edited by zen514