New Record for Marvel Comics 1
5 5

170 posts in this topic

218 posts
1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

Imo:

The majority of dc heroes started in the 30/40s bc of action 1 and tec 27, etc. and thus their recognition and popularity  today stems from that time period

the majority of Marvel heroes started in the 1960s bc of af15 and ff1, etc. and thus their recognition and popularity today stems from that time period 
 

there is a reason marvel 1 has lagged behind action 1 and tec 27 the past 20+ years and why the value differences continue to distance 

 

Ok. Rick 915k and counting!

 

What about TEC 33 not getting back up there or Showcase 4. Those lagged and then came back.

 

I still think its no 3. Never said no1 or 2

 

Supes 1 is great but sheesh... Its a reprint book.  Cap 1 is great now but Chris Evans and mcu is gone. Much like tos 39 and Robert Downey JR.

Marvel comics the 3rd Comic to reach 1 million in auction.

 

Wait till Subby comes to to The MCU!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
218 posts
1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

Imo:

The majority of dc heroes started in the 30/40s bc of action 1 and tec 27, etc. and thus their recognition and popularity  today stems from that time period

the majority of Marvel heroes started in the 1960s bc of af15 and ff1, etc. and thus their recognition and popularity today stems from that time period 
 

there is a reason marvel 1 has lagged behind action 1 and tec 27 the past 20+ years and why the value differences continue to distance 

 

So Marvel.com just said Marvel Comics 1 started it all... Celebrates it... and its not important? Cmon. Marvel is undervalued and its starting to climb  back where it belongs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,700 posts

It doesn't matter to me personally which comic book the public decides is more valuable.  I do enjoy historical significance though.  Marvel #1 was surprisingly original... perhaps dangerously so from a publisher's perspective... and as such took risks with little guarantee of success.  Superman was semi-original.  He borrowed a lot from Doc Savage, and I don't think it's purely coincidence that the company that agreed to publish him had already published a character with origins from another planet who had super-strength and X-ray vision (Olga Mesmer), but Siegel and Shuster added some tweaks to what had gone before.  There's almost nothing about Batman that was original.  It had all been pretty much done before in other mediums.  Captain America was obviously created to compete with The Shield.  Now, I can't say there wasn't a pulp story out there somewhere with a character who turned to flame at will, but it certainly wasn't a frame of reference common to the public if there was.  And Marvel #1 wasn't even much of a hero book.  Ka-Zar was brought over from the pulps.  But both the Human Torch and Sub-Mariner began as destructive, non-heroic, forces.  These were odd choices to lead off a publishing empire... but obviously it worked, and made Marvel a much more unusual brand (at least to begin with) than the more traditional origins of DC, Dell, Centaur, King, Fiction House, and other early efforts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,983 posts
17 hours ago, VintageComics said:

None. Remember getting beat up and bullied because you were a collector? I do. lol

 

No, and I have collected comics literally all my life. I used to get a few snide comments or looks but never physically assulted. 

And yes, like many kids, I got bullied a little (not about comics), but I fought back. Bullies are usually cowards. When you put up a fight, they always move on. 

And yeah, I have always thought this book will, and should break a million bucks. Without it, there would probably be no Capt America or Marvel Universe. This is a prime candidate.

Edited by Robot Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58,329 posts
2 hours ago, zen514 said:

So Marvel.com just said Marvel Comics 1 started it all... Celebrates it... and its not important? Cmon. Marvel is undervalued and its starting to climb  back where it belongs. 

Never said it wasn’t historically significant and important. It’s just not why marvel today is as known as it is. That much is clear to anyone without bias. 
 

that said the market has determined over the past decade which books are the most valuable. Not me. And of course this market, like most, is cyclical. Time will reveal all 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58,329 posts
2 hours ago, zen514 said:

Ok. Rick 915k and counting!

 

What about TEC 33 not getting back up there or Showcase 4. Those lagged and then came back.

 

I still think its no 3. Never said no1 or 2

 

Supes 1 is great but sheesh... Its a reprint book.  Cap 1 is great now but Chris Evans and mcu is gone. Much like tos 39 and Robert Downey JR.

Marvel comics the 3rd Comic to reach 1 million in auction.

 

Wait till Subby comes to to The MCU!

 

The 8.0 church Superman 1 would sell for 2x what this 9.4 copy of marvel 1 will sell for. Heck, even aa16 in 9.4 had a 7 figure offer rejected years ago (and that ain’t no marvel 1) Again, not disparaging it’s historical significance just that it is not close to being the 3rd most valuable today, but maybe it will again 

Edited by G.A.tor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34,351 posts
53 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

 Again, not disparaging it’s historical significance just that it is not close to being the 3rd most valuable today, but maybe it will again 

It might not be the third most valuable, but if it sells for what it is apparently going to sell for it could be the second most expensive.

Edited by MrBedrock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,186 posts

I Honestly think $1.5 Million is the O/U when the dust settles.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58,329 posts
5 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

It might not be the third most valuable, but if it sells for what it is apparently going to sell for it could be the second most expensive.

That will be fun to watch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,964 posts
2 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

It might not be the third most valuable, but if it sells for what it is apparently going to sell for it could be the second most expensive.

Really looking forward to the video of you cracking this one out !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
988 posts
3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Never said it wasn’t historically significant and important. It’s just not why marvel today is as known as it is. That much is clear to anyone without bias. 
 

 

Yeah but for marvel to get from point A to point B it had to go through point C.   The ideas in that book were good enough to keep the doors open and the lights on, unlike most of their competition.   Most wouldn’t know anything at all about marvel if it weren’t for the book.  Can’t have a rebirth without a birth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58,329 posts
9 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Yeah but for marvel to get from point A to point B it had to go through point C.   The ideas in that book were good enough to keep the doors open and the lights on, unlike most of their competition.   Most wouldn’t know anything at all about marvel if it weren’t for the book.  Can’t have a rebirth without a birth.

very likely true....but Marvel 1 was a Timely publication, that then became Atlas, rested a while and then was rebranded in 1961 (super heroes) as Marvel...who is to say that Stan and Jack et al wouldn't have still formed a "marvel" comics even if timely had of never existed (unlikely but possible)...DC was DC with superman and batman etc from the start, and published these main characters non stop...most of Marvels recognized characters didn't come into existence till 1961...so I posture "Marvel" would still be "Marvel" today, even if Marvel 1 had of never been published (in some form or another)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34,351 posts
3 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

...so I posture ...

yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30,317 posts

"posture" for posit.  "had of" for had have [and even that is awkward].   i'll bet lex is sorry he "postured" on that cover with our g.a.tor.

wpenn.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34,351 posts
2 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

"posture" for posit.  "had of" for had have [and even that is awkward].   i'll bet lex is sorry he "postured" on that cover with our g.a.tor.

wpenn.jpg

G.A.tor is always monkeying around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41,310 posts
31 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

ped mc 1's ending in "city" are cool!

KansasCity.jpg

Super cool!

 

5 hours ago, Bookery said:

  But both the Human Torch and Sub-Mariner began as destructive, non-heroic, forces.  These were odd choices to lead off a publishing empire... but obviously it worked, and made Marvel a much more unusual brand (at least to begin with) than the more traditional origins of DC, Dell, Centaur, King, Fiction House, and other early efforts.

:cloud9:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5