• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wondering if CCS is actually pressing the books
1 1

42 posts in this topic

I have been submitting to them since it was Classics Incorporated and Matt Nelson was practically a one man shop and I have received books during the past month that do not look like they have been pressed at all. I understand about color breaking creases but I have a number of instances where indentations both on the spine and center area - that do NOT break the cover inks are still there. I would post images but it is too hard to see these flaws when they don't break the cover inks. I have talked to Customer Service and I will send them back to be evaluated. Three books total on three different invoices.

I used to be so pleased with the pressing results but no longer. If they can't fix these - or if they give me a hard time about doing so - then I will have to find another presser and not sure who does a really good job these days.

16 hours ago, WalkinWillie said:

I used to be so pleased with the pressing results but no longer. If they can't fix these - or if they give me a hard time about doing so - then I will have to find another presser and not sure who does a really good job these days.

1469104389-joey-tribbiani-matt-le-blanc-post-box-delivery-unsplash-620x400.jpg

This is like deja vu all over again. :)

On 11/15/2019 at 3:22 PM, WalkinWillie said:

I have been submitting to them since it was Classics Incorporated and Matt Nelson was practically a one man shop and I have received books during the past month that do not look like they have been pressed at all. I understand about color breaking creases but I have a number of instances where indentations both on the spine and center area - that do NOT break the cover inks are still there. I would post images but it is too hard to see these flaws when they don't break the cover inks. I have talked to Customer Service and I will send them back to be evaluated. Three books total on three different invoices.

I used to love being able to 'talk' to Matt before CGC bought him out and actually get a reply as to what he thought a book might do after pressing.  Never felt great when CGC bought CCS... seemed kind of like the Fox guarding the Hen House in my opinion.  Now I just send my books off to CCS and fire and forget.  I too have had a few books that I wondered if they were either pressed at all or benefited at all.  Still, I always pay the extra fee for pressing to give my books what I think is the 'best chance.'  I have not paid for a restoration check though and up until recently, didn't really care about that.  

On 11/16/2019 at 2:49 PM, Iconic1s said:

Never felt great when CGC bought CCS... seemed kind of like the Fox guarding the Hen House in my opinion.  Now I just send my books off to CCS.  Still, I always pay the extra fee for pressing to give my books what I think is the 'best chance.' 

I wondered how CCS could pro Quick press a comic for a low $8 each and that is supposed to include a quick spine roll fix too. I guess that is what helped to create the need for CVA Exceptional sticker that itself costs btwn $30 to $40 :o each depending on 'retail' or GPA value of one's comic to be auctioned: to help monitor CGC when they are grading extra strict or under-grading comics that week.

Same subject.  Different vein.  Do we know the approx. turn around time for Modern pressing and grading by CCS and CGC?  The comments are a little concerning in this thread.  My view is.  If there really is only one of the two to chose.  I'll take right over fast, every time.  Just tryin to get an idea of how long right is taking nowadays.

On a totally different vein.  Here's a pic of a cool book.

scan2006.jpg

1 hour ago, Wallstreet said:

Same subject.  Different vein.  Do we know the approx. turn around time for Modern pressing and grading by CCS and CGC?  The comments are a little concerning in this thread.  My view is.  If there really is only one of the two to chose.  I'll take right over fast, every time.  Just tryin to get an idea of how long right is taking nowadays.

scan2006.jpg

The service and fees page lists the prices and turnaround times for each tier, pressing & grading

On 11/22/2019 at 1:11 AM, Wallstreet said:

scan2006.jpg

Props to Janson for having a legible signature. As a lazy person myself, I understand the devolution of one's signature into a simple scribble, but it would annoy me to go to the trouble of getting an artist's sig, and to end up with something that looks like they were testing the pen to see if it worked. 

On 11/24/2019 at 3:36 PM, rjpb said:

Props to Janson for having a legible signature. As a lazy person myself, I understand the devolution of one's signature into a simple scribble, but it would annoy me to go to the trouble of getting an artist's sig, and to end up with something that looks like they were testing the pen to see if it worked. 

Agreed.  And he signed in black ink in a place on the cover where it easily stands out.  Maybe it's the difference between inkers, and pencillers and writers...  Ha!

I just got off the phone with Matt Nelson and he couldn't have been more nice or professional. He agreed that the books were not pressed to the quality he would expect - so they are going to repress and regrade so we will see how it goes from here. I was a bit frustrated by the whole thing as the customer rep that I dealt with originally was a little less than empathetic with my situation hence I posted before I went through the whole "send them back" process so I apologized to Matt about that - i.e. need to give them a chance to win before I napalm the boards.

On 12/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, WalkinWillie said:

I just got off the phone with Matt Nelson and he couldn't have been more nice or professional. He agreed that the books were not pressed to the quality he would expect - so they are going to repress and regrade so we will see how it goes from here. I was a bit frustrated by the whole thing as the customer rep that I dealt with originally was a little less than empathetic with my situation hence I posted before I went through the whole "send them back" process so I apologized to Matt about that - i.e. need to give them a chance to win before I napalm the boards.

What was the outcome of this "quagmire" ? I too have a book that appears it was not pressed or pressed correctly, and i'm curious how this all worked out with your situation...did the grade change,did the graders notes change after the second pressing? I had graders notes of  "several very light creases on back top left corner", and after "pressing and resub" it has the EXACT same graders notes..... how'd you fare?

Edited by KryptoSpidey

On 12/30/2019 at 8:59 AM, KryptoSpidey said:
On 12/19/2019 at 11:23 AM, WalkinWillie said:

What was the outcome of this "quagmire" ? I too have a book that appears it was not pressed or pressed correctly, and i'm curious how this all worked out with your situation...did the grade change,did the graders notes change after the second pressing? I had graders notes of  "several very light creases on back top left corner", and after "pressing and resub" it has the EXACT same graders notes..... how'd you fare?

From reading several threads on this same subject matter here over the past few years, I thought that it was pretty much common knowledge that there is an inverse relationship between prices and quality of work at CCS ever since Matt left to head up the grading side at CGC.  :whistle:

In other words, the highest prices in the industry for the lowest quality of work, with some books apparently being damaged during the process.  :facepalm: