• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wondering if CCS is actually pressing the books
1 1

42 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2019 at 11:59 AM, KryptoSpidey said:

I had graders notes of  "several very light creases on back top left corner", and after "pressing and resub" it has the EXACT same graders notes..... 

Same happened to me. My book came back 7.5 with “multiple dents” on first submission so I figured it’d be a good press candidate and resubbed it. Came back 9.0 with “multiple dents.” I think when you resubmit the original grader notes carry over or something. Either that or my first grader was in a bad mood that day. .

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

From reading several threads on this same subject matter here over the past few years, I thought that it was pretty much common knowledge that there is an inverse relationship between prices and quality of work at CCS ever since Matt left to head up the grading side at CGC.  :whistle:

In other words, the highest prices in the industry for the lowest quality of work, with some books apparently being damaged during the process.  :facepalm:

Yup.  This was my experience.  Seeing other people repress books I submitted and get higher grades, plus 2 popped staples means I won't use CCS again. 

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

I’m also asking myself if they’re actually getting pressed.

Seems like we get what we pay for. e.g. CCS pre-1975 comic Quick Press including a quick dry clean and spine roll fix for low, low price of only $15/comic. Discounted to a mere $8/book on post-1975 comics. I don't see how any decent pressing quality can be maintained at $8/book and this still includes a 'proper' :wishluck: spine roll reversal.

16 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Seems like we get what we pay for. e.g. CCS pre-1975 comic Quick Press including a quick dry clean and spine roll fix for low, low price of only $15/comic. Discounted to a mere $8/book on post-1975 comics. I don't see how any decent pressing quality can be maintained at $8/book and this still includes a 'proper' :wishluck: spine roll reversal.

I’m not even talking about the quick press. I’m seeing indentions/waves, on multiple books, on full service presses...

On 12/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, WalkinWillie said:

I just got off the phone with Matt Nelson and he couldn't have been more nice or professional. He agreed that the books were not pressed to the quality he would expect - so they are going to repress and regrade so we will see how it goes from here. I was a bit frustrated by the whole thing as the customer rep that I dealt with originally was a little less than empathetic with my situation hence I posted before I went through the whole "send them back" process so I apologized to Matt about that - i.e. need to give them a chance to win before I napalm the boards.

MY books are being pressed elsewhere now so CCS is out of the equation but what happened with your situation or are you sworn to secrecy? I'm dealing with my own CGC quagmire and since MATT talked to you before you put him(THEM) on blast.....I'm not far off....what happened

.....this is scary stuff when I submitted my comics at the NYCC I was told the turn around for Pressing and Grading was going to be 2-3 months. Now after passing the three month point I reached out only to be told now its 5-7 months! (18-20 weeks for pressing and 6-7 Weeks for Grading) I really hope with all that time I will get what I paid for. But Yikes they are not super valuable comics (IMAGE - Angela Pirate Spawn dealer incentive issue with two variant covers, one with pirate Spawn and one with Pirate Angela) but are more of a legacy keepsake for me to pass down to my son since I did the color guides and was one of the colorists on the book and have my name in the credits I decided to get them done by CGC since I am down to my last 4 copies (out of 20 I originally had but gave to close relatives and friends) I have been using Ultra Pro Current Size Comic UV ONE-TOUCH Magnetic Holders before I decided to do go the CGC route I hope it all turns out well and my comics come back undamaged and looking like they were pressed.

First time posting hear. I sent books that got received on October 29 for fast track press/grade. They still are in pressing with no movement! I'm at 15 weeks roughly FAST TRACK and after calling was told it could be 18 weeks!!! What the hell is going on? The website is still saying 10 weeks for fast track pressing. If 18 is true they NEED to update the site. By not updating the fact that it's taking multiple extra weeks that's the same as lying. Am I crazy... don't answer that but seriously what's going on with CCS??

On 1/24/2020 at 10:22 AM, Karl Andre said:

.....this is scary stuff when I submitted my comics at the NYCC I was told the turn around for Pressing and Grading was going to be 2-3 months. Now after passing the three month point I reached out only to be told now its 5-7 months! (18-20 weeks for pressing and 6-7 Weeks for Grading) I really hope with all that time I will get what I paid for. But Yikes they are not super valuable comics (IMAGE - Angela Pirate Spawn dealer incentive issue with two variant covers, one with pirate Spawn and one with Pirate Angela) but are more of a legacy keepsake for me to pass down to my son since I did the color guides and was one of the colorists on the book and have my name in the credits I decided to get them done by CGC since I am down to my last 4 copies (out of 20 I originally had but gave to close relatives and friends) I have been using Ultra Pro Current Size Comic UV ONE-TOUCH Magnetic Holders before I decided to do go the CGC route I hope it all turns out well and my comics come back undamaged and looking like they were pressed.

Dude those books are awesome, thanks for your great work on them!

On 2/25/2020 at 12:57 AM, Willlliw said:

First time posting hear. I sent books that got received on October 29 for fast track press/grade. They still are in pressing with no movement! I'm at 15 weeks roughly FAST TRACK and after calling was told it could be 18 weeks!!! What the hell is going on? The website is still saying 10 weeks for fast track pressing. If 18 is true they NEED to update the site. By not updating the fact that it's taking multiple extra weeks that's the same as lying. Am I crazy... don't answer that but seriously what's going on with CCS??

Could this be the case?

busy.jpg.987e34976dc48aae669848f9c5734df8.jpg

On 1/2/2020 at 1:42 AM, lou_fine said:

....there is an inverse relationship between prices and quality of work at CCS ever since Matt left to head up the grading side at CGC.  :whistle:

In other words, the highest prices in the industry for the lowest quality of work, with some books apparently being damaged during the process.  :facepalm:

Absolutely true. 

If everyone is so displeased and unhappy with the quality of the pressing, rather then complain, VOTE, with your wallet. I think the best way to show your unhappy is the change providers of a service. The other option is to create our own census with a complaint letter that demonstrates your displeasure with the quality of work. Their are probably a dozen pressers out there than would love to service our work. Vote with your wallet.

I simply stopped using CCS. I don't like the price, and the wait...and then had a GA book damaged. Bitter experience and knowing it was not isolated, cost them this customer. 

Edit: of the 100+ books graded over the last 6 months, I only had 20 pressed ( and those were all done by other non-CCS source). I'm not a huge volume guy.

Edited by Sackolantern
added numbers

On 2/29/2020 at 6:32 AM, fishpaul said:

If everyone is so displeased and unhappy with the quality of the pressing, rather then complain, VOTE, with your wallet. I think the best way to show your unhappy is the change providers of a service. The other option is to create our own census with a complaint letter that demonstrates your displeasure with the quality of work. Their are probably a dozen pressers out there than would love to service our work. Vote with your wallet.

I guess it really depends if you want to send the book into their sister company for grading afterwards, and if so, do you really want to take the chance by sending it into somebody else for pressing.  hm

On 12/30/2019 at 11:59 AM, KryptoSpidey said:

What was the outcome of this "quagmire" ? I too have a book that appears it was not pressed or pressed correctly, and i'm curious how this all worked out with your situation...did the grade change,did the graders notes change after the second pressing? I had graders notes of  "several very light creases on back top left corner", and after "pressing and resub" it has the EXACT same graders notes..... how'd you fare?

Well, the books came back and they looked MUCH better BUT the grades didn't change. So they must have a very wide range for 8.0, 8.5 and 9.4. Must have been overgraded the first time around. Since then I have had a batch of quick press books come back that looked pretty good. My problem when I read this thread is that I am not alone in my experience. Just have to keep an eagle eye on things and not hesitate to call/send back if the pressing was not done properly or not done at all.

16 minutes ago, WalkinWillie said:

Well, the books came back and they looked MUCH better BUT the grades didn't change. So they must have a very wide range for 8.0, 8.5 and 9.4. Must have been overgraded the first time around. Since then I have had a batch of quick press books come back that looked pretty good. My problem when I read this thread is that I am not alone in my experience. Just have to keep an eagle eye on things and not hesitate to call/send back if the pressing was not done properly or not done at all.

Yeah I've just been doing straight subs ,no pressing with the exception of a high dollar book I have with Joey now,  whom I trust wholeheartedly with my books.

On 3/5/2020 at 9:47 AM, KryptoSpidey said:

Yeah I've just been doing straight subs ,no pressing with the exception of a high dollar book I have with Joey now,  whom I trust wholeheartedly with my books.

It's been my philosophy, if it is worth grading, its worth pressing.:flipbait: