• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is Deadpool OA low in value (for the most part)

31 posts in this topic

Not complaining,  I have picked up some great pages that would have been double if they featured *insert any comic A lister*. For as popular as he is I would think his value would be worth more than it is. Any reasoning behind that....over saturation of the character perhaps?

2 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Not complaining,  I have picked up some great pages that would have been double if they featured *insert any comic A lister*. For as popular as he is I would think his value would be worth more than it is. Any reasoning behind that....over saturation of the character perhaps?

Is this a case where Ryan Reynolds and the DP movies simply told a more compelling story than any of the comics managed to do?

Until the movies I knew of Deadpool but to this day can’t tell you about a memorable comic I read with him in it.

I’m not knocking the character Deadpool fan so easy does it. I don’t know much about him or how close the movie is to the comic depiction. 

What say you  Deadpool fans other than Blastaar? Also I resisted calling on (DP fans) as I envisioned scores of Mensa boardies typing (DP fan) into their search engine and finding sword carrying characters not wearing a uniform:

15 hours ago, Blastaar said:

I think you answered your own question. And most artists that have drawn him are contemporary, and most readers are under 30. They just don’t care THAT much. This will be a much different hobby in 20 years despite what some refuse to acknowledge.

On 11/16/2019 at 9:09 AM, Jay Olie Espy said:

I think the underlying question to your question is: Which Deadpool art is valuable? Easily any early Rob Liefeld art from New Mutants 98 to X-Force 5. A page from the latter is on HA right for a very strong $1850 currently. Any Deadpool art from 1991-1999 is pretty hard to find. Try finding early Deadpool art from Joe Mad, Aaron Lopresti, Ian Churchill, Greg Capullo, and Ed McGuiness. I guarantee you it won’t be of “low value.” 2c

This is 100% spot on. I like to focus on key art when collecting because of this. There's too much art out there for everything to have value.

The Joe Kelly Deadpool run is the reason the movies happened. He's not Deadpool without that run, not to mention McGuinness and others art on that run, as others mentioned. 

I'd wager stuff from that run is more scarce and pricey. But yes, there's oversaturation too.

As others mentioned, some unique circumstances but it ain't like there's no demand for it. 

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:47 PM, Blastaar said:

I think one of the things that makes Deadpool popular is his witty dialogue/potty mouth.  After all you don't pick up the unofficial title of 'merc with a mouth' for nothing.  And yes, its true that there's a lot of pages of Deadpool OA floating around, but a lot of it (the less valuable pages) are without word balloons and I think that makes a lot of difference to the value of a page because let's face it, a mute Deadpool ain't so funny, right?

On 11/15/2019 at 5:47 PM, Blastaar said:

The Leifeld stuff is the only Deadpool art that has become expensive. 

My take on Deadpool is that Ryan Reynolds got the 24/7 Talker down pat, but not enough of the "cool badass" part down.  Deadpool doesn't have to be prancing about literally all the time; the second film created way more haters than necessary.  That entire "X-Force" trolling bit, come on...

Supposed to be a wiseass, not exclusively a pain in the .

Edited by exitmusicblue

17 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

My take on Deadpool is that Ryan Reynolds got the 24/7 Talker down pat, but not enough of the "cool badass" part down.  Deadpool doesn't have to be prancing about literally all the time; the second film created way more haters than necessary.  That entire "X-Force" trolling bit, come on...

I confess to undue elation at seeing Shatterstar's grisly demise, his cyan blood spattered everywhere. Domino and Cable, on the other hand, came off quite well onscreen.