• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is Deadpool OA low in value (for the most part)

31 posts in this topic

In general, I feel (my opinion) that within the Original Art hobby, most collectors appreciate artwork as well as sequential storytelling and overall aesthetics.  Deadpool (aka Deadfool) is really low-brow as a character in the same vein over the top eye-rolling adolescent low-brow humor found with The Family Guy, Rick and Morty that lacks creativity.  With that, I get a sense that most art collectors have little interest in the character.  As someone mentioned, most of the artists who render Deadpool are not highly collected by name, short of a few who have done really nice covers (J Scott Campbell included of course) other than maybe Rob Liefeld and Ed McGuinness who created and launched his popularity respectively.  

This whole "Merc with a Mouth" persona works with teens and in the movies, but that's not the demographics of original art collectors.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:47 PM, Blastaar said:

Not complaining,  I have picked up some great pages that would have been double if they featured *insert any comic A lister*. For as popular as he is I would think his value would be worth more than it is. Any reasoning behind that....over saturation of the character perhaps?

If he really cheaper than original art with "a listers"? I just purchased some pages of recent Detective Comics issues from Miguel Mendonça and found them to be rather cheap. Modern original art seems rather cheap in general unless it's a famous and sought after artist. 

Edited by William-James88

I've bid on all of these and was the underbidder on the last one which pushed it to that 900 comp but didn't want to spend that much since I was looking at other things. There was a page before that in the auction the week before that only was in the 540s. Really goes to show how much a second bidder can up a price.

On 2/28/2020 at 3:10 PM, DeadpoolJr. said:

I've bid on all of these and was the underbidder on the last one which pushed it to that 900 comp but didn't want to spend that much since I was looking at other things. There was a page before that in the auction the week before that only was in the 540s. Really goes to show how much a second bidder can up a price.

Your handle “DeadpoolJr” probably says it all. I’m actually surprised that these DP pieces went for prices that didn’t break the bank. Do you think with DP2 movie being 2-3 years removed and the movie property (DP3) being in limbo, prices have cooled? I just think a lot of the recent stuff could’ve fetched at least 33% more if it was sold during the movie hype. My disclosure is that I don’t collect Deadpool art. I’m just interested in the 90s art market. 

7 hours ago, John E. said:

Your handle “DeadpoolJr” probably says it all. I’m actually surprised that these DP pieces went for prices that didn’t break the bank. Do you think with DP2 movie being 2-3 years removed and the movie property (DP3) being in limbo, prices have cooled? I just think a lot of the recent stuff could’ve fetched at least 33% more if it was sold during the movie hype. My disclosure is that I don’t collect Deadpool art. I’m just interested in the 90s art market. 

It probably could have since these were much older pieces which you don't see come to market that often but I wouldn't know by how much more. Possibly over a 1k but less than 2k I'd wager. A lot of the deep pocket collectors for example would only be interested in DP stuff if it was a high-end piece like the cover to NM98 or a page from it featuring him which we've seen reach the tens of thousands. Other than that they probably wouldn't be interested in him. Those types are also often older and have more disposable income verse most younger collectors who are probably also the more prominent demographic of people who would collect DP since he was only introduced in the 90s.

Concerning people who are fans of the character and collect his artwork this series and the Circle Chase series were DP's first ever solo comics which makes the art a premium for people like us so it should reach higher prices than a lot of the more modern stuff that they seem to put him in that has saturated the market. The only thing that could probably rival it would be early pieces from the first full DP run that started in the 90s by McGuinness. I saw a few early covers by him go for a few thousand when DP was getting more widely popular and before the movie when only a few years before you could get one for three figures.

The first one I believe sold on CAF for the same price so no movement on that one. You can see that it says 900 in the item description. 
https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1501617

As for the other one that was actually my win. Looking at it it was pretty flat until I started to bid so I think it would have also sold for 900 too if I didn't jump in.  Could have gotten it cheaper too if the other guy didn't feel the need to bid me who I suspect was the one who was buying all the dp pages. I only went so high because I had passed on the other ones and everything else I was looking at went to high for me anyway. I don't mind the price for the page though, the nice deadpool image is worth it imo.

4 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

The first one I believe sold on CAF for the same price so no movement on that one. You can see that it says 900 in the item description. 
https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1501617

As for the other one that was actually my win. Looking at it it was pretty flat until I started to bid so I think it would have also sold for 900 too if I didn't jump in.  Could have gotten it cheaper too if the other guy didn't feel the need to bid me who I suspect was the one who was buying all the dp pages. I only went so high because I had passed on the other ones and everything else I was looking at went to high for me anyway. I don't mind the price for the page though, the nice deadpool image is worth it imo.

$1200 is still a good price. Congrats. It’s a good page.