• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you could find it - what OA would you buy?
2 2

49 posts in this topic

More like "if I could afford it," I'd get one of the Frazetta oil paintings that graced the covers of Creepy, Eerie or any of the Lancer Conan paperbacks.  I don't think I could get tired of looking at them and as far as investment value...yow! 

Some great choices - I'd also have this one...as you can tell Y-The Last Man (IMHO) has some of the greatest covers ever. I believe most were oil on canvas - and I'm pretty sure a boardie owns the one from my 1st post and THIS one.

I freaking love this one....

51280231_p15_162copy.thumb.jpg.83b27783c40fbeaeb51e52b8704855c9.jpg

Not much modern artwork yet.  I'd have expected some Artgerm and Del'otto covers, given their popularity.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Given the cost of so much quality OA today, I'm going to name a couple things that I could afford as impulse buys (I assume) if I stumbled across them: From the Peter David Aquaman series, there's an interior splash in #3 where Aquaman is coming at Superboy with a pod of whales while riding a tidal wave. I don't even recall the artist, but I remember the image.

I'd also love a Mike Nasser page from his Martian Manhunter run in Adventure.

If it's pie in the sky budget be damned, I'd like the cover to Iron Man 100 (Starlin), the splash to Avengers 93 (Triton by Adams), the cover to Worlds Finest 212 (Martian Manhunter punching out Superman). 

And of course the covers to Avengers #4 and Flash #123. I mean, duh. lol

I'm pretending none of the great GA covers have survived.

47 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Not much modern artwork yet.  I'd have expected some Artgerm and Del'otto covers, given their popularity.

I thought about posting this earlier, given it's "Dell-Otto" etc. I was waiting for it to be mentioned and all :) 

I like this the best  or I liked it enough to have it signed, but I can't really even afford a sketch, I have a "remark" but lol if it were my "dream OA" I'd still probably pick a Kirby all the way! :headbang: 

GetImage.aspx?c=3204693&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

Spider-man pages from Web of Spider-man 26 - That was the first Spider-man comic I ever bought. 

Spider-man pages from Amazing Spider-man 292 - That was the first Amazing Spider-man I ever bought. 

Any page from Whitman Road Runner 97 - First Comic I ever received.

Of course there are always some GI Joe, Transformers, and Indiana Jones pages I am looking for.

Actually... this page annoys me.

I lost out on it on eBay when it was $300

It popped up in 2013 for about $856 or something and I lost out on that at the last minute as I was the underbidder. 

It last appeared on Comiclink in 2017 where it went for near $1800 and I lost out on that also. 

sigh... one day.   I am not paying past a certain price point though... I thought $1800 was a bit much. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 12.27.42 AM.png

RAD7CB9320171019_143955.jpg

There are a ton on my "if I could only get" list , but there are a few that would be right there at the top.

Frazetta -Creepy #32

Sanjulian- Eerie # 40

Bernie Wrightson- House of Secrets #92

But to be honest . Just about anything from these three artists would be a grail.

On 11/16/2019 at 9:59 AM, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Cover art to Detective Comics 587 comes to mind. 
D15B7813-F8C0-4F64-952D-9DC207A336DB.jpeg.7922b4708ad0749e1a5b4fc67c4e2aa3.jpeg

As a kid I drew (copied) that image! I believe this cover might be in someone's CAF.

I'm looking to find the OA cover of Amazing Fantasy #15 in a garage sale for about a buck. Naturally I'd offer 50 cents!:insane:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #4 2nd print.

The first print featured the same characters/poses done by Peter Laird.  Michael Dooney took the layout and painted it.  This was also the box/label art for the original Nintendo Game release, which is probably where more people recognize it.  I remember being a bit confused at the time because they all sported red bandannas...I was 7 and didn't know much about the comics at all at that point.  When I think of a TMNT image from my childhood, this is what springs to mind:

Dooney.jpg.8d3aa982c48ed651358996d5d3fd6def.jpg