• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions needed for Jack Kirby Sig...
1 1

23 posts in this topic

Hello boardies with sig knowledge!

I was recently pressing a Forever People 1 and noticed the attached sig on the 2nd page.

Anyone with any history/experience with legit Kirby sigs want to offer an opinion? I showed it to Rich Henn and he said it was possibly "Roz" his wife, who apparently signed for Jack in this era.

That said, curious if anyone else wants to chime in?

ps... I'm aware there is another service that authenticates sigs after the fact, but want to determine if I should bother.

Thanks in advance for any help!

:headbang:

kirbysiginFP1pg2.jpg

Roz did some signing towards his final years mostly with material that was off site, like limited edition prints and so forth. She wasn't signing in his stead at San Diego for example. It looks slightly off to me but it could also be the result of trying to write in such a tiny margin or age (he had sight issues and didn't have as much control when he got older). Seems a bit odd it's on page 2 and not the bottom of page 1, too.

7 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Roz did some signing towards his final years mostly with material that was off site, like limited edition prints and so forth. She wasn't signing in his stead at San Diego for example. It looks slightly off to me but it could also be the result of trying to write in such a tiny margin or age (he had sight issues and didn't have as much control when he got older). Seems a bit odd it's on page 2 and not the bottom of page 1, too.

Thanks DP... maybe not a worthless pursuit. I thought page 2 was odd as well. It could be he just opened the book and missed by a page and sad F- it, lol

4 minutes ago, silverweb said:

That looks like his signature to me. Does anyone have a known Roz Kirby signature to show us? Did Rich mention what differences to look for?

Well, this is getting more encouraging. No, Rich didn't give specifics, nor did he emphatically say it was Roz. He just thought it was more likely. I'd love to see samples of Jack vs Roz sigs but it doesn't seem anyone has any handy that saw this post.

5 hours ago, BronzeBruce13 said:

Well, this is getting more encouraging. No, Rich didn't give specifics, nor did he emphatically say it was Roz. He just thought it was more likely. I'd love to see samples of Jack vs Roz sigs but it doesn't seem anyone has any handy that saw this post.

From myslabbedcomics here, this one is a Roz Kirby verified by the-other-company-

roz.png.c1b3b21c4f9a91f5f5b0bc91c7c7b8c3.png

This is my Dynamic Forces signed Jack Kirby, which consensus seems to be that Roz Kirby signed these-

df.png.4915c64c31141e2b4073307ffacb453e.png

From an earlier CGC thread here, this is a great comparison image. The top example looks like a legit Kirby and the bottom two are most likely Roz Kirby-

screenshot.png.b68255108e202d9b2393c19674825577.png

4 hours ago, silverweb said:

I don't own this book but here is a picture of his sig I downloaded one day.  His signature is very distinctive (look at the capital J and K) and I would think that it is difficult to forge.

AVENGERS 5 KIRBY SIG.jpeg

To me, your example doesn't look legit. And there are definitely forgers of Kirby's sig. One of the worst forgers on eBay is actually a member on these boards here. 

2 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Why would Roz sign a book? Something for sale, sure...but a book???

It was whispered around comic cons when I was a kid that Roz Kirby ghost-signed a lot of autographs for her husband. She was an artist in her own right, and like many wives can, she could do a reasonable fake of her husband's sig. 

Edited by eee91

On 11/16/2019 at 11:21 AM, BronzeBruce13 said:

Thanks for your input, so I'm guessing you're of the opinion... don't bother trying to authenticate it? Pretty clear to you its Roz?

Actually, I'm not sure if it's legit or not...it just doesn't look like other authentic Kirby signatures I've seen. It could be a forgery, or it could be due to other factors, such as physical deterioration.

If you're willing to pursue it, there is a company out there that should be able to verify whether the signature is authentic...

Couple things. I have attached an authentic Jack Kirby signature from 1972 that I got personally from Jack at the El Cortez Hotel San Diego Comic Con. That was about the same time that Jack was leaving Marvel to go to DC and close to the same time that Forever People 1 was published. Also, the signature is on page two. While that is a bit odd, it is possible that was the page that the fan wanted him to sign and Jack being Jack just obliged. Not being a flat surface it may have affected the signature, particularly the last few letters of Kirby. Take a look at Bronze Bruce's pic and then compare it to the one that I have shown. I am no expert but there are similarities that I don't believe would come up in a non Kirby signature from that time. Obviously just my opinion, but I believe that is an actual Kirby signature. I have seen multiple (over a dozen) Kirby signatures over the years and mostly they are on the Indicia of the first page. It would be great if GlendGold would weigh in. 

Scan 7.jpeg

8 hours ago, davidtere said:

Couple things. I have attached an authentic Jack Kirby signature from 1972 that I got personally from Jack at the El Cortez Hotel San Diego Comic Con. That was about the same time that Jack was leaving Marvel to go to DC and close to the same time that Forever People 1 was published. Also, the signature is on page two. While that is a bit odd, it is possible that was the page that the fan wanted him to sign and Jack being Jack just obliged. Not being a flat surface it may have affected the signature, particularly the last few letters of Kirby. Take a look at Bronze Bruce's pic and then compare it to the one that I have shown. I am no expert but there are similarities that I don't believe would come up in a non Kirby signature from that time. Obviously just my opinion, but I believe that is an actual Kirby signature. I have seen multiple (over a dozen) Kirby signatures over the years and mostly they are on the Indicia of the first page. It would be great if GlendGold would weigh in. 

Scan 7.jpeg

Thanks for posting the sig. I see the "loop" on the J being similar for sure. I'm encouraged