• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading of restored books

3 posts in this topic

Just got notification from CCS that a GA book I got decades ago has been trimmed, had some color work done and had other restoration done. My untrained eye had no idea. Question: should I go ahead and have it graded? My inclination is yes since it’s a GA book with a Cap/Bucky cover (u.s.a. Comics 14) and fewer than 30 graded copies, including one restored version, but since I’m somewhat new to grading, I wanted to get some opinions. Ironically, even with whatever was done to it, i can’t imagine it’s going to fall above a 4.

On 11/16/2019 at 11:31 AM, converseba said:

Just got notification from CCS that a GA book I got decades ago has been trimmed, had some color work done and had other restoration done. My untrained eye had no idea. Question: should I go ahead and have it graded? My inclination is yes since it’s a GA book with a Cap/Bucky cover (u.s.a. Comics 14) and fewer than 30 graded copies, including one restored version, but since I’m somewhat new to grading, I wanted to get some opinions. Ironically, even with whatever was done to it, i can’t imagine it’s going to fall above a 4.

Is your intent to keep it or sell it? If keeping, its a simple decision as to whether you'd prefer to own it raw or with a purple label. If selling, it's a tougher call. While some buyers of restored books appreciate a CGC label explaining the type and degree on the amount of restoration and their opinion as to how that effects grade, others prefer owning them raw, and to not be constantly reminded with the purple label that they own a restored copy. The more valuable a book is, the more advantage their likely is to slabbing, even if low grade and restored, and I'm guessing a copy of USA 14 with trimming and other work, that grades a 3.5 or 4.0 is around an $800 - $1K book, and would sell for roughly the same amount raw or slabbed. 

On 11/16/2019 at 2:31 PM, converseba said:

I would just go ahead with slabbing it since its already at CGC and it will always have a purple label for trimming, if you want to try to increase the potential re sale value you can see if some of the resto work can be taken off specially since if it will max out at a 4.0 some buyers might be ok with just a trim but adding more resto work to it would in some peoples view lower the value even more.. but really depends on the CT and 'other resto" work and the severity.

Also as rjpb some appreciate the CGC purple label letting them know what's been done to the book and severity.. you can always crack it or the seller can always crack it out if they want a raw copy. this varies based on how much it will cost as your already on the hook for the shipping.. I would just get it graded and ask about the resto removal and look at the cost. 

More details would probably getter a better answer... as this is a very grey subjective area.

Best of luck and Welcome to the boards.