• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Panels that made you a fan for life
1 1

40 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

RCO021-1469482223-peter-parker-and-mary-

The greatest page in Spidey history, and certainly top 5 of all for me.

The characterization is flawless. Gerry Conway's greatest page ever.

Visible character development, the stuff that writers dream of. MJ, for the very first time in her young life, makes the decision to set aside her feelings in favor of another. She could have been mad. She could have been hurt (and she was!) But in that moment, she had a choice: to walk out the door and retain her party-girl, devil-may-care persona...or get over herself and recognize that this person she cared about was hurting, and bad, and needed a friend more than anything else. 9 simple panels that show MJ's growth from spoiled brat to responsible, caring adult.

It is breathtaking in execution. 

I sat at Gerry's dining room table last year, talking to him about this. He told me that Gil had originally drawn the last panel from the hallway, with the "click" heard from the outside. Johnny redrew the last panel (you can see his lines in the work) from the inside, and made it so much more powerful.

Best Spidey page ever, and not a single costume to be found.

I was going to post this but saw that you already had. @Buzzetta would agree, one of the best pages ever

Still with Spidey, and as a nice follow on to the previous great suggestion, I always liked this one, hiding away in the Cyclone story:

RCO008_1469438949.thumb.jpg.e405f045df671ca9c8c7b9989c166e81.jpg

I like the mood in the issues around this time. A little sombre. 

19 minutes ago, divad said:

For me, it was Steranko's work on Cap that did it for me: 

cap110f.jpg

I was slightly in awe of Steranko as a kid. Not only the name - Steranko - which seemed impossibly cool as a singular moniker, but the power of the art. There was something 'epic' about it.

Proper drawing, if that makes sense.

459501284_capamse1.thumb.jpg.f1a12f5d33d21ab5475f8c0f670989a5.jpg  1740325790_capamse1b.thumb.jpg.893b07c755dea23cb0b165e5e5017087.jpg

There are really too many to choose from from the Claremont X-Men run, but this encounter Wolverine had with the leprechaun really sticks with me for some reason.  It was a really odd way to find out his name too.  The expression on Wolverine's face is funny also.  "No way bub!  The Wolverine doesn't believe in leprechauns!"

xmen 103.jpg

Edited by Von Cichlid

On 11/16/2019 at 9:28 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

RCO021-1469482223-peter-parker-and-mary-

The greatest page in Spidey history, and certainly top 5 of all for me.

The characterization is flawless. Gerry Conway's greatest page ever.

Visible character development, the stuff that writers dream of. MJ, for the very first time in her young life, makes the decision to set aside her feelings in favor of another. She could have been mad. She could have been hurt (and she was!) But in that moment, she had a choice: to walk out the door and retain her party-girl, devil-may-care persona...or get over herself and recognize that this person she cared about was hurting, and bad, and needed a friend more than anything else. 9 simple panels that show MJ's growth from spoiled brat to responsible, caring adult.

It is breathtaking in execution. 

I sat at Gerry's dining room table last year, talking to him about this. He told me that Gil had originally drawn the last panel from the hallway, with the "click" heard from the outside. Johnny redrew the last panel (you can see his lines in the work) from the inside, and made it so much more powerful.

Best Spidey page ever, and not a single costume to be found.

One of the earlier comics I bought off the racks and an extremely important memorable sequence.

As we've seen here, it doesn't necessarily have to be anything iconic such as ASM 122 or Batman 251.

As well as the panels in the classic Adams issue I chose, around the same time, as a kid, I was just as blown away by Michael Golden's art.  One of my most-fondly remembered issues of his is Batman Family 20, and I'll post this really nice Man-Bat two-pager...

Batman_Family_20-40-41.jpg

8 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

I had loved the TV Cartoon (the 66-67 cartoon) of Spidey and had read #43, #75, #80 and Spectacular Spider-man (Magazine) #2, so you can imagine my surprise when #129 was handed to me and I read this exchange... at the age of 11,

I never wanted to miss another issue...

Screen Shot 2019-11-20 at 6.39.48 AM.png

Unfortunately, for UK readers the title went non-distributed with issue 121, and was unavailable as a newsstand pence copy until the early 80s.  So, most of us were deprived of the significant developments that occurred during the classic Conway run.

I didn't pick up an imported cent copy until late 1977.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Who could forget taking grief from Floyd the barber? I still love comic books from the '70's.

Some of the ads hold a special place in my heart as well. Who remembers Bill? Who looks suspiciously like a young Richard Dreyfuss? Studied electronics to finally get away from his domineering boss?

Or the anti hero Mac? Who put his gambling addiction to good use, bought a stamp and followed Charles Atlas' advice? If it were me, I would have broomed my girlfriend as well after decking "The Bully Of The Beach" for calling me "Little Boy". I could have had my choice of "chicks" after that. Condescending little wench.

We have to ask ourselves: Did getting grabbed by the arm by a lunkhead or getting called "Little Boy" and her body language motivate Mac off his butt to work out compulsively, gain a rockin' bod and assault the dunderhead of the beach? Who probably didn't even remember "Mac" and didn't know why he was getting a whoopin'. Why, I might have punched her, too!

We can also see that whoever bought these books didn't take advantage of life changing offers as the coupons are still intact. Bill got a free book and Mac only paid 10 cents for a 32 page book "crammed" with photographs and showing him how "Dynamic Tension" could make him a new man. As an adult, the only "Dynamic Tension" I have is called "Hypertension".:

1425858216_U7qBxe9E-M6oeAlYcMW2oixrtzhb5Xjwq-4jjL6ShlTRLiOnPHKkT2U7dXg5MQPVL0oO_lF-hKXVs1600.thumb.jpg.b6228449748cbcecbd28ea0f45a531bb.jpgRCO035.thumb.jpg.a245c469bfe6bdb02baf3048af7159d8.jpg

Edited by Randall Ries

Also, if you had aspirations of becoming the next Shang-Chi or Iron Fist, for a small mail order fee Count Dante could turn you into a living Bronze Age weapon.

Edited by Ken Aldred