• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay buyer requests return because of "old slab"
1 1

52 posts in this topic

I listed a nice ASM 301 CGC 9.6 on Ebay last week and it was purchased for the $149 BIN price and shipped out. Yesterday I received an Ebay Return Request saying the book "is not as described" - "old case".   Was really surprised by this, since my ad  has a large picture of the item and nowhere do I say that it is the latest generation CGC slab.

I have not had a return request in many years. Looks like I have no choice in the matter since Ebay always sides with the buyer now. :/

I drafted the following response to the buyer:

"I am surprised at the return request. Is there any actual problem with the book? My ad has a full size picture of the actual item showing that it is the older style slab. I think it is a very well graded 9.6. The new CGC slabs actually are more likely to have the  Newton Rings/Rainbow effect. Let me know if you still want to do the return and I will move forward with it."

Before I email it out, any thoughts or input, fellow boardies and Ebay sellers?  

Ebay Return.JPG

Edited by silverweb

14 minutes ago, silverweb said:

I listed a nice ASM 301 CGC 9.6 on Ebay last week and it was purchased for the $149 BIN price and shipped out. Yesterday I received an Ebay Return Request saying the book "is not as described" - "old case".   Was really surprised by this, since my ad  has a large picture of the item and nowhere do I say that it is the latest generation CGC slab.

I have not had a return request in many years. Looks like I have no choice in the matter since Ebay always sides with the buyer now. :/

I drafted the following response to the buyer:

"I am surprised at the return request. Is there any actual problem with the book? My ad has a full size picture of the actual item showing that it is the older style slab. I think it is a very well graded 9.6. The new CGC slabs actually are more likely to have the  Newton Rings/Rainbow effect. Let me know if you still want to do the return and I will move forward with it."

Before I email it out, any thoughts or input, fellow boardies and Ebay sellers?  

Ebay Return.JPG

First thing I thought when I read this thread

:censored: 

It sounds like the dumbest return request ever.

Shame on you for not updating all your slabs to the newest generation. Personally, I'm surprised CGC allows these obsolete slabs in their registry. CGC worked long and hard to add the Newton Ring protective effect to their newer product. Can you blame a fellow for being upset he got a book without them? At a minimum one should let the potential buyer know your product lacks these Newton Rings. They are every bit as important as the top label that so many carelessly dispose of.

44 minutes ago, silverweb said:

The buyer was cagedcomics in New Jersey

Caged Comics seems to be mostly selling comics out of New Jersey.  Most likely he bought the book and BS'd a BS return because he did not think that there was an upside to the book OR he had a buyer for it that backed out. 

Go check out what he has sold on eBay.  This guy is well versed in CGC and CGC cases. He knows what he was buying. 

What a pain, sorry you had to deal with this...it sucks,...HOWEVER, if the "buyer" asked to return it immediately then it is his-her prerogative. It does suck, it is a hassle, you don't deserve this time wasting nonsense

from a buyer however move on rapidly & give this "tire kicker" no more of your valued time of any sort, that's is my .02 cents. Re-list it while it's on the way back from Mr. Picky Pants and move on.

This guy doesn't deserve a "good guys" time!  If he was serious he would have asked the case be replaced, a credit of $35 or $40 depending on the books value? Or split the cost of a new case since most

cases are "brand new", they have a little bit even if a tiny amount. : - )   Please promote him to Amazon, offer him a 10% coupon, an e-coupon to switch to Amazon exclusively?

Keep in mind that PayPal now keeps their 3% in the transaction, worth it to call ebay and fight it imo, but still to block him from any other transaction.....

2 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Yes. Don't send it. Call ebay; call, don't contact them via email. Don't get involved talking about Newton Rings. Tell them you shipped and the buyer received exactly what was listed, an ASM #301 9.6 as pictured; the style of case was visible right in the listing. The buyer knew exactly what he was getting.

I had a buyer pull that on me once because of pencilled dates on the FC. Ebay looked at my listing, saw the the pencil marks were in plain sight and rejected the claim.

And please out this clown so we can block him.

Thank you all for your input. I like the spirit of the response, but I am not sure  I will find that it is worth the effort to  1) contact Ebay by phone and 2) end up getting negative feedback.

I think it is best to accept the return, be done with him and move on.

Edited by silverweb