• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay buyer requests return because of "old slab"
1 1

52 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, silverweb said:

Thank you all for your input. I like the spirit of the response, but I am not sure  I will find that it is worth the effort to  1) contact Ebay by phone and 2) end up getting negative feedback.

I think it is best to accept the return, be done with him and move on.

the 3% PayPal fee that you won't get back doesn't sound like much to some, the buyer will get full refund, but you'll be out 3% of your own money, seems worth the fight just on principle, imo

It's too bad you had to deal with it but thanks for outing him so we can all block him.   We don't need these kinds of bidders.

About last summer I was running an auction and I got an email from a prospective bidder who said "Just want you to know, I tried to bid on your item but you blocked me so you missed out!"   My reply was no I didn't miss out on anything, I saved myself some aggravation.   I don't remember when or why I blocked him but if I did it was because he was a lunkhead in some other deal.

You can block up to 5000 bidders, that covers about 1/4th of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons on eBay.

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

the 3% PayPal fee that you won't get back doesn't sound like much to some, the buyer will get full refund, but you'll be out 3% of your own money, seems worth the fight just on principle, imo

I’d just take the $4.50 loss and move on.   2c

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:
7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

ya I got to thinking to just block him on principle, I'd be in the poor house after any 3% fee like that, we'll I'd feel that way as often I sell which is maybe 2-3 books a year :sorry: 

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

This. For $4.50, it's better to "let the customer always be right", rather than to put up a fight in what will ultimately be a probable losing effort and risk a negative.

Also, in referring to the slab as "old", did the buyer mention anything about scratches or cracks? Because small scratches, gritty/pitted surfaces, and some cracks generally don't reveal themselves on even the best of ebay images. Just trying to better understand what he meant as "old", if not in reference to a newer style label.

And let's face facts as far as ebay sales go. As I've stated before, the reason why I exclusively use Heritage, C-Link, and Connect for when I want to sell something online is because on ebay, a sale can never be considered final until 6 months have elapsed! Chargebacks and paypal claims in general are allowable for up to 6 months following the time of payment! That's not my idea of a viable way to conduct business.

Edited by James J Johnson

30 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

This. For $4.50, it's better to "let the customer always be right", rather than to put up a fight in what will ultimately be a probable losing effort and risk a negative.

Also, in referring to the slab as "old", did the buyer mention anything about scratches or cracks? Because small scratches, gritty/pitted surfaces, and some cracks generally don't reveal themselves on even the best of ebay images. Just trying to better understand what he meant as "old", if not in reference to a newer style label.

And let's face facts as far as ebay sales go. As I've stated before, the reason why I exclusively use Heritage, C-Link, and Connect for when I want to sell something online is because on ebay, a sale can never be considered final until 6 months have elapsed! Chargebacks and paypal claims in general are allowable for up to 6 months following the time of payment! That's not my idea of a viable way to conduct business.

6 months?:whatthe:

15 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

6 months?:whatthe:

Yes. On ebay, a buyer using paypal, backed by a credit card payment to ebay or not, can initiate a paypal claim or credit charge chargeback for up to 6 full months from the date and time of that purchase. Any sale on ebay is not a final sale for sure, even if a buyer expresses satisfaction within that period!

So let's consider circumstances by which a sale may and can be quashed within the 6 month timeframe. One possible scenario that may motivate a buyer to initiate a long term return/chargeback months for up to 6 months down the road:

The value of the book goes down! Can't happen? It's a volatile market. Just as many red arrows on GP as green. Not everything goes up in value. Not everybody makes smart investment picks. Or diversifies their picks to reduce risk.. MSH 13, MSH 18, X-Men 101, or any one of hundreds of books that lose GP ground for whatever reason and if the item was bought from you for resale, those hopes have been dashed in the interim as the buyer can't resell for what he paid let alone an intended profit.  Say they bought from you for $1000 and now can't even get half their money back, so you get to be the remedy of that market correction! At the time, you sold your buyer a CGC graded book at the then current market value. The bottom later drops out and you now are the remedy for their honest loss due to their investment pick. In essence, you're backing the performance of their investment for up to 6 months. How nice of you!

I can go on and on as to why consigning to the majors is a blessing compared to selling on ebay, but reason #1 should be enough, in and of itself, to deter you. By consigning to the majors, you're paid, and the sale is final. End of story. 4 months down the road, there's no chargeback because the value of the book you sold took it in the teeth on GP. Or because it couldn't be resold for a profit thus a chargeback.

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, SSuperman said:

What a pain, sorry you had to deal with this...it sucks,...HOWEVER, if the "buyer" asked to return it immediately then it is his-her prerogative. It does suck, it is a hassle, you don't deserve this time wasting nonsense

from a buyer however move on rapidly & give this "tire kicker" no more of your valued time of any sort, that's is my .02 cents. Re-list it while it's on the way back from Mr. Picky Pants and move on.

This guy doesn't deserve a "good guys" time!  If he was serious he would have asked the case be replaced, a credit of $35 or $40 depending on the books value? Or split the cost of a new case since most

cases are "brand new", they have a little bit even if a tiny amount. : - )   Please promote him to Amazon, offer him a 10% coupon, an e-coupon to switch to Amazon exclusively?

Huh?

What?

Huh?

Can you please post your eBay ID as well?

I’d look out for anything and everything. Something seems fishy here. If you do get the book/slab back, I’d be checking it thoroughly, especially check to be sure the book itself is the same book. Some are experts at switching out labels and/or books without damaging or barely damaging the slab on those older slabs. It could also be an honest mistake, so leave some room for the buyer to be on the up and up with you.

I just told my friend about this.

His response: "Since you have their address, get someone to take pictures of his children on their way to school or loved ones about their day. Send the pictures and tell him to ask them if he should return the book."

smh 

lol at my friends. 

I think he is serious.   Anyway, nowadays that is menacing and I would not do that. 

Edited by Buzzetta

8 hours ago, silverweb said:

Before I email it out, any thoughts or input, fellow boardies and Ebay sellers?  

It sounds like under eBay's rules you have no option but accept the return, even if you did nothing wrong and the buyer is a dork.

Until a true competitor arises to compete with eBay, eBay will continue to make life difficult for sellers by favoring with the buyer to keep the bottom line in the black.

I thought that Alibaba was going to be one of those competitors for sellers but it hasn't proven to be a viable platform for small time guys like us.

If the hobby banded together and all decided to support another online seller in some united fashion, that might help steer people away from eBay.

But for now we give eBay all the power and they continue to hold all the cards. Even when they are wrong they are right.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

It sounds like under eBay's rules you have no option but accept the return, even if you did nothing wrong and the buyer is a dork.

Yes. It's leakage. Like a physical store has returns for "broken items" that a customer may have damaged, or replaced, or theft in the aisles by employees or browsers. Basically agree to the possibility that this type of leakage may and does occur from time to time when you accept the agreement (that without agreeing to will stop the registration process dead in its tracks). You must agree that you will abide by paypal and eBay's edicts and decisions in these matters, or you cannot complete registering for a paypal account or to sell on ebay.

18 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:
2 hours ago, jeffreyk said:

Who pays for the return shipping ?

do you have to refund him the shipping he paid when he purchased the book?

Yes. Seller's responsibility. The seller pays for the return postage.

And, if I understand PayPal's new rules correctly, they don't refund you the fee they took when you sold the item.

Is that correct?