• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay buyer requests return because of "old slab"
1 1

52 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jeffreyk said:

So the seller pays the return shipping and loses that money plus the 3 percent fee?

is the original shipping paid by the buyer also refunded?

Yes. Shipping both ways is the seller's responsibility. The entire amount of funds collected, the item price + the shipping fee is refunded upon a return/chargeback/claim, and it'sthe seller's responsibility to provide the funds for the ebay generated metered shipping label (with postage imprinted), the money debited from the seller's account for the return shipping. So to recap:

for the period encompassing the date and time of payment, until 6 months later, the seller is on the hook for:

the item price + the original shipping cost + the return shipping cost + the paypal fees charged for the original transaction if the buyer wishes to avail himself of paypal's generous leniency for buyers to turn a seller's inventory into a library, the paypal payment/transaction serving the purpose of a library card.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:03 AM, silverweb said:

I listed a nice ASM 301 CGC 9.6 on Ebay last week and it was purchased for the $149 BIN price and shipped out. Yesterday I received an Ebay Return Request saying the book "is not as described" - "old case".   Was really surprised by this, since my ad  has a large picture of the item and nowhere do I say that it is the latest generation CGC slab.

I have not had a return request in many years. Looks like I have no choice in the matter since Ebay always sides with the buyer now. :/

I drafted the following response to the buyer:

"I am surprised at the return request. Is there any actual problem with the book? My ad has a full size picture of the actual item showing that it is the older style slab. I think it is a very well graded 9.6. The new CGC slabs actually are more likely to have the  Newton Rings/Rainbow effect. Let me know if you still want to do the return and I will move forward with it."

Before I email it out, any thoughts or input, fellow boardies and Ebay sellers?  

Ebay Return.JPG

Accept the return and move on. Nothing worse than stressing over stuff not worth stressing over. 

1 hour ago, Junkdrawer said:

Nothing worse than stressing over stuff not worth stressing over. 

These are words to live by. I was once told by my supervisor, "Warner, if you were anymore laid back, you'd be asleep."

On 11/17/2019 at 9:03 AM, silverweb said:

Before I email it out, any thoughts or input, fellow boardies and Ebay sellers?  

Ebay Return.JPG

You’re beat - doesn’t matter that you’re right, and the buyer’s a tool. Can’t fight the Buyer Protection process eBAY has in place now~~  I just went thru this 2X!  
    Relist and change your description to potentially reach new buyers who will pay even more —- like recovering  “pain and suffering “ - no Lawyer needed (thumbsu

have peace that every time you look in the mirror- you see you! Just think what the Tool buyer of yours sees when he looks at himself ( see pic ) .... that’s his punishment for screwing up your perfectly good sale 

6A2B9BC5-D59A-4F1F-8F98-ED24F63AE2E7.jpeg

Edited by showcase4

lol you lose the 3 percent fee. I'd ask for that fee back as there is no transaction anymore.

Been years since I did eBay. For me I'd rather deal with a auction house that way I get what I paid for. As a seller. I don't sell but I'd use the forum or auction houses instead. Yes you pay more commission. Then again you don't have to converse with losers. Win win

i had a a problem with a dbag buyer trying to squeeze me out of a partial refund. I contacted eBay by phone immediately and the eBay rep looked over my description and photos and agreed that there was nothing the least bit deceptive about my listing. The item was exactly as described and that there were plenty of photos to show the buyer exactly what he was getting.

eBay sided with me. Case closed.

ebay reps can also poke around into a buyers history and see if they’ve been abusing the return policy. 

I’d point out the fact that he sells similar items and knew exactly what he was bidding on. To me, this is the best way to keep money in YOUR pocket and give a big flying bird to the shady buyer.