• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed Books
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I got a nice deal today at a local show on two raw copies of Ultimate Fallout 4 first prints.  One is signed by Sara Pichelli. 

What is the general view on what a non-authenticated signature like this does to the value of a comic?  I know CGC will not verify it and CBCS will, but does the signature hurt or help the value of a raw copy at all?  Generally speaking of course, as I understand that every book has its own unique circumstances. 

For the record, this is staying in my collection for a long time, but I do like to pay attention to book values, the market, etc.  Its all part of the fun!  

Generally it helps

how much it helps depends on many factors.

ocasionally it hurts

59 minutes ago, revat said:

Generally it helps

how much it helps depends on many factors.

ocasionally it hurts

I’m glad to hear it usually doesn’t hurt.  If I had my preference, I would have gotten the book with no signature since there is no CofA, but it’s super cool for my collection nonetheless.  

18 hours ago, RyanP1121 said:

I’m glad to hear it usually doesn’t hurt.  If I had my preference, I would have gotten the book with no signature since there is no CofA, but it’s super cool for my collection nonetheless.  

it could help it a very small amount I wouldn't expect the full price for the cost of the signature since it's unverified or to make even more on the signature cost.. as un-verified sigs usually don't bring in much value and in some cases can hurt the value.

8 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I agree that it typically increases the value very slightly.

I've bought some raw Death of Superman books for $5, that are otherwise worth $1, because of a nice Dan Jurgens signature in gold marker.

that's a good example.

It could turn a $1 book into a $3-$5 book, which is a 300% increase.

It could turn a $10 book into an $12 book, just a 20% increase.

But if you have a book that was otherwise going to be a CGC 9.8 key, it could lower the value pretty easily.

Of course as stated it can depend on a host of other factors too, like the rarity of the sig, the value of the comic, the grade, placement, aesthetics, luck, the economy, how much the sig actually costs to get.

11 hours ago, revat said:

that's a good example.

It could turn a $1 book into a $3-$5 book, which is a 300% increase.

It could turn a $10 book into an $12 book, just a 20% increase.

But if you have a book that was otherwise going to be a CGC 9.8 key, it could lower the value pretty easily.

Of course as stated it can depend on a host of other factors too, like the rarity of the sig, the value of the comic, the grade, placement, aesthetics, luck, the economy, how much the sig actually costs to get.

Thanks.  Unfortunately this is a book I probably would have pressed and sent to CGC but I won’t because of the sig.  I still love it and am happy to add to my collection. 

I own a number of books that I bought new, off the rack, at Golden Apple Comics in Los Angeles that have signatures. These were probably from store signings, which typically were free back in the day, and the artists signed a bunch that were available to customers who missed the event... it was a while ago so not sure if these were in the racks or on the counter. Anyway, from what I'm reading here, these early signatures don't seem to have much value compared to Signature Series books and probably less since CGC introduced the Signature Series. It's ironic that the grade will suffer if one decides to slab an unverified signed book but that's understandable. Too bad CGC doesn't provide a verification service for these early signatures. I posted the Jack Kirby pic on another thread discussing his signature and a member noted that since Kirby died in 1995 and CGC was established in 2000 there are no Yellow labels dedicated to him.... that's just sad.

1206212227_DesroyerDuck1Signed.thumb.jpg.c79fc0a8fb5351ca8c3e6ddbf52a5dee.jpg

_MG_0380.jpg

_MG_0852.jpg

_MG_1559.jpg

1 hour ago, Nice Face said:

That's only true if the signature is on the cover.

No, it's better that they don't.

Why is that sad? Because no one can make extra money off his signature?

who says they don't I am sure the other guys do the verified signature for it... if they do then bingo more cash lol 

5 hours ago, Nice Face said:

That's only true if the signature is on the cover.

No, it's better that they don't.

Why is that sad? Because no one can make extra money off his signature?

Good to know it's only cover signatures that take a hit....

"Better that they don't" ... but you didn't explain why.

Who said anything about making more money? A lot of collector's like graded books and would be proud to show off a Jack Kirby signed book.

4 hours ago, jokiing said:

Good to know it's only cover signatures that take a hit....

"Better that they don't" ... but you didn't explain why.

Who said anything about making more money? A lot of collector's like graded books and would be proud to show off a Jack Kirby signed book.

I agree its better that they don’t verify unwitnessed signatures.  The autograph market in general and outside of comics is flooded with fakes and this helps ensure that a CGC sig can be 100% trusted.  Its really the only fool proof way. 

I guess I just find it odd that I feel like I would be happier if I had gotten such a good deal on a non autographed copy of the book rather than the one signed by Pichelli.  I love and respect her art, but the truth is I would have pressed and graded the book and now I likely never will.  Its cool though, I will get a slab of one eventually and keep my raw copies.  I don’t really focus on value and sales but I think it is one of the better modern comics to “invest” in. 

10 minutes ago, RyanP1121 said:

I agree its better that they don’t verify unwitnessed signatures.  The autograph market in general and outside of comics is flooded with fakes and this helps ensure that a CGC sig can be 100% trusted.  Its really the only fool proof way. 

I guess I just find it odd that I feel like I would be happier if I had gotten such a good deal on a non autographed copy of the book rather than the one signed by Pichelli.  I love and respect her art, but the truth is I would have pressed and graded the book and now I likely never will.  Its cool though, I will get a slab of one eventually and keep my raw copies.  I don’t really focus on value and sales but I think it is one of the better modern comics to “invest” in. 

True that yellow labels are a trusted source, but it's possible to have an autograph verified by a reparable company, but, unless it's a book, lets say, signed by Mark Twain, it's probably not worth the expense. 

Stick the Ultimate Fallout in a mylar sleeve with acid free board and you're good to go... that's your autographed copy.