• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paypal dispute, any boardie advice would be appreciated.
1 1

89 posts in this topic

This is really a sad deal. I know sometimes you have to really defend yourself on Paypal. I had a Laserdisc sent to me shattered and the guy wouldn't refund and got Paypal involved. He claimed  "How do I  know you didn't break it yourself." Then wanted the address I sent it back to.  Even though I clearly used E-bays return label. He used every trick in the book but finally lost. I had to carefully show pictures and return e-mails etc.

Edited by Rip

5 minutes ago, Beige said:

Get on the phone again, and talk to the highest level supervisor you can reach - even if on hold for hours.

The helpful rep just passed you over to a 9-5 don't care guy.

Keep fighting.

As long as you described it factually as a 9.8 CGC XXXXX issue #32 and that's what it is - you shouldn't lose this.

However - if you have added, 'glowing colours, super eye-appeal erc erc' there is a point of difference to argue.

Paypal are trying to ream people for the extra 3%.

Don't give up. I fought over a book for 4 months - even after the buyer was refunded. I eventually bugged Paypal so much, they found in my favour.

Now with the book - inspect it thoroughly. IF THERE IS SO MUCH AS A SCRATCH OPEN A COUNTER CLAIM AS NOT BEING RETURNED IN THE SAME CONDITION.

Good for the goose. Good for the gander.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely do that 

3 minutes ago, csaag said:

So, if using Ebay for something of  enough value for this to happen, would the advice be to only accept credit cards as Ebay payment since I believe the return window is 60 days?

That's a question that I am asking myself, is there another form of payment that we can accept to avoid this bullcrap. Are credit cards plausible or will it be a hassle? 

Edited by zeezee

1 hour ago, zeezee said:

That's a question that I am asking myself, is there another form of payment that we can accept to avoid this bullcrap. Are credit cards plausible or will it be a hassle? 

eBay is instituting something called Managed Payments which allows for credit cards, Google pay, and Apple Pay, as well as PayPal. 

I believe the seller can select which forms of payment to accept. eBay receives the payment and they directly deposit it in your bank account. 

I don’t have a lot of the details but I’m starting to look into it. 

Still, a place like ComicLink might be the way to go to avoid this nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

eBay is instituting something called Managed Payments which allows for credit cards, Google pay, and Apple Pay, as well as PayPal. 

I believe the seller can select which forms of payment to accept. eBay receives the payment and they directly deposit it in your bank account. 

I don’t have a lot of the details but I’m starting to look into it. 

Still, a place like ComicLink might be the way to go to avoid this nonsense. 

This.  When talking about eBay, unless they're going to start acting as an intermediary to receive, verify, then ship to sellers, they'll be able to keep claiming ignorance on any issue, thereby leaving sellers wide open to be scammed.  

All I use eBay for now is excess clutter from around the house and cheap comics.  Anything even remotely valuable goes to ComicLink or my trusted dealers when I see them at shows.

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

This.  When talking about eBay, unless they're going to start acting as an intermediary to receive, verify, then ship to sellers, they'll be able to keep claiming ignorance on any issue, thereby leaving sellers wide open to be scammed.  

All I use eBay for now is excess clutter from around the house and cheap comics.  Anything even remotely valuable goes to ComicLink or my trusted dealers when I see them at shows.

I agree with your method, ebay/paypal only for lower priced books, anything 200 and up auction houses.

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Agreed.

I have the odd $200 run of books, but the rest is mostly $5 - $40 drek. Not worth scamming really and all are sent tracked.

Bigger items get slabbed and sold here, or on Heritage.

Drek sells well, and I use that to fund my keeper books.

However - the point remains that this incident is the absolute 'pinnacle rip-off' event that may break the camels back for bigger item ebay sellers.

Direct Bank Transfer may well be the only safe way to go for bigger books - although of course, ebay will ding you for not posting on time while you wait for the payment to clear......

It's almost as ebay and Paypal are having a race to go out of business first - yet neither of them can see it coming.

28 minutes ago, zeezee said:

no he did not

Sorry this happened to you.  This turd has done this before.  ...and he'll keep doing it too.  Sorry this happened.  With this story....and the recent IH181 buyer scam, I do hope another viable and more balanced platform shows up.  

4 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Sorry this happened to you.  This turd has done this before.  ...and he'll keep doing it too.  Sorry this happened.  With this story....and the recent IH181 buyer scam, I do hope another viable and more balanced platform shows up.  

Not familiar with that one, link? Story?

5 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

The only upside for ebay is the huge volume of views your books will get. Not everyone knows ComicLink or Heritage but everyone knows ebay. And while 98% of the buyers are legit good folks, it's that 2% that gives me pause.

The irony of all this, he is also selling graded books on ebay. This where karma needs to step in. I sent messages through ebay to  his followers (you can only message 5 different people a day)  with a warning and a link to this thread. So far one person responded with gratitude and unfollowed him.

Edited by zeezee

2 minutes ago, zeezee said:

The irony of all this, he is also selling graded books on ebay. This where karma needs to step in. I sent messages through ebay to  his followers (you can only message 5 different people a day)  with a warning and a link to this thread. So far one person responded with gratitude and unfollowed him.

As someone posted earlier in the thread, should we all buy his books and return them in 5 months?  That would be karma, and also very satisfying :bigsmile: