• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men #1 September 1963

16 posts in this topic

Nice "Well Loved" book, that would be a welcomed addition to any collection and it is much nicer than mine since I do not have one.

IMO with all of the tears this "Well Loved" copy grades at...

2.0 GOOD (GD):  Back to Top
Shows substantial wear; often considered a "reading copy." Cover shows significant wear and may even be detached. Cover reflectivity is low and in some cases completely absent. Book-length creases and dimples may be present. Rounded corners are more common. Moderate soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing may be present. The largest piece allowed missing from the front or back cover is usually a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, although some Silver Age books such as 1960s Marvels have had the price corner box clipped from the top left front cover and may be considered Good if they would otherwise have graded higher. Tape and other forms of amateur repair are common in Silver Age and older books. Spine roll is likely. May have up to a 2" spine split. Staples may be degraded, replaced or missing. Moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached. Moderate interior tears may be present.

54 minutes ago, atomikdog said:

Thanks everyone. Selling on eBay at the starting value of a 1.8. Appreciate the help.

Edit - Sold in about 7 minutes :)

it was correctly priced then leaving a bit of meat on the bone for the buyer !! bravo :golfclap:

Edited by 1950's war comics

I am at a 2.0 with a really good press and clean possibly a 2.5 hopefully the bends dont fall off when trying to put them back in place as those bends are sharp and flat I had one fall off on a book that looked like that it was a low grade reader copy.. so just be careful and really look to see if its pulling.

17 hours ago, atomikdog said:

Buyer bought it at the value of a 2.0 with the intention of putting it through a restoration. Fascinating industry.

Interesting. 2.0’s are selling for around $3000 these days. I recently sold two restored X-Men 1’s... 7.0 and 8.5... both done professionally. One got a little under $5k and the other a bit over. So I guess that could work. You chose the exact right word; this whole pastime is indeed...

51D5966E-D69B-4DD4-B428-0C6A3B40E19B.gif.fb2d7387a3768d39b249e34b14075b03.gif

...fascinating. :)

14 hours ago, atomikdog said:

Ah. I only set the buy now price at 2250, based on what I found on Comics Price Guide, so the buyer got a great deal regardless. Should have done some more research. (shrug)

Well, it's unslabbed... the price I quoted was for a slabbed book... so you have to factor in a couple hundred for CGC between pre-screening, grading, and shipping. Plus... if it's a 1.8, that's less. I think you priced it okay. I would recommend though: next time you sell a key like that, get it slabbed. :)