Disappointed with CGC Packing
0

23 posts in this topic

5,324 posts

After a few months of waiting I was excited to receive my 2 books back from CGC.

Upon opening the box, I was very surprised to see very shoddy packing.

The 2 books were in bubble wrap but with tape to secure the bubble wrap on either book - just an elastic "holding" it all together. 

Only 1 of the 2 books was in a plastic bag.

Not surprisingly,  one book has a cracked corner with a chunk out of it. The chunk wasn't even in the box so I have to assume it was shipped out like this and somehow missed in QC.

I had the book sold and now have to go through the time and aggravation of having to return it to CGC and wait a bit longer.

CL does a very good job packing book. Each book is in a bubble mailer and surrounded by popcorn.

I think CGC should learn a lesson and follow suite.

IMG_20191118_1207201.jpg

IMG_20191118_1207245.jpg

IMG_20191118_1212391.jpg

IMG_20191118_1212335.jpg

IMG_20191118_1034516.jpg

Edited by Jordysnordy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
304 posts

Damn that sucks too see did you contact cgc for a free regrade? Idk if you can do that but if it’s damaged that not good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,324 posts
21 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

Damn that sucks too see did you contact cgc for a free regrade? Idk if you can do that but if it’s damaged that not good

I called them this morning and have to send it back to be re-holdered.

There are about 10 things to do to submit it so I hope I don't mess anything up  lol - more complicated now compared to subbing them :tonofbricks:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,796 posts

Was the shipping carton pulverized? Sucks that the slab was damaged but with only two comics in the box and with the thick bubble wrap CGC surrounds them with I would expect the box to have been crunched pretty good to incur that kind of damage. I have far more problems with SCS than damaged cases with CGC's packing method.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,324 posts
10 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Was the shipping carton pulverized? Sucks that the slab was damaged but with only two comics in the box and with the thick bubble wrap CGC surrounds them with I would expect the box to have been crunched pretty good to incur that kind of damage. I have far more problems with SCS than damaged cases with CGC's packing method.

The box was a little dinged up but not to the extent that a holder should have been damaged.

There was extra room in the box they used so more bubble wrap was in order to prevent the books from banging around in the box while in transit.

I just very surprised that there was no tape holding any of the bubble wrap together - it was just folder over and held together by the elastic - not very secure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,796 posts
6 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

The box was a little dinged up but not to the extent that a holder should have been damaged.

There was extra room in the box they used so more bubble wrap was in order to prevent the books from banging around in the box while in transit.

I just very surprised that there was no tape holding any of the bubble wrap together - it was just folder over and held together by the elastic - not very secure.

 

Assuming the box wasn't opened by customs (which could explain why the plastic bag was missing), one could almost speculate that the comic was dropped - and damaged - prior to being shipped. Were the plastic shards from the broken case still in the bubble wrap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54,179 posts

I would start by saying this must be a one-off thing, out of of tens of thousands of boxes they have shipped. I am not going to say that because it never happened to me that it didn't happen to you, it obviously did, but add my anecdotal evidence to a pile of people who have been very pleased with the packing of their products. The shipping is expensive AF (as Frank) but in the end, I was always pleased by how protected the books were.

I have never sent in just two books, so that might have a lot to do with it.

Sorry for your loss of time and potential money!



-slym

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,324 posts
14 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Assuming the box wasn't opened by customs (which could explain why the plastic bag was missing), one could almost speculate that the comic was dropped - and damaged - prior to being shipped. Were the plastic shards from the broken case still in the bubble wrap?

It wasn't opened by customs and no shards anywhere in the box  (that's why I said in my original post that it must have been sent out from CGC already cracked/broken).

Main point of my post is to hopefully make CGC aware that some sort of tape is required to insure secure packaging as everyone knows these cases are pretty fragile so hopefully they can correct this and avoid future problems like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,324 posts
7 minutes ago, slym2none said:

I would start by saying this must be a one-off thing, out of of tens of thousands of boxes they have shipped. I am not going to say that because it never happened to me that it didn't happen to you, it obviously did, but add my anecdotal evidence to a pile of people who have been very pleased with the packing of their products. The shipping is expensive AF (as Frank) but in the end, I was always pleased by how protected the books were.

I have never sent in just two books, so that might have a lot to do with it.

Sorry for your loss of time and potential money!



-slym

It could very well be a one off but they should at least have some tape or other packing material to make sure the books are secure in the bubble wrap, especially with SCS happening.

Maybe I do need to send more than 2 books in at a time lol 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,796 posts
11 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

It wasn't opened by customs and no shards anywhere in the box  (that's why I said in my original post that it must have been sent out from CGC already cracked/broken).

Main point of my post is to hopefully make CGC aware that some sort of tape is required to insure secure packaging as everyone knows these cases are pretty fragile so hopefully they can correct this and avoid future problems like this.

Sorry, I missed in the first post that the piece was missing. Definitely sounds like it was damaged at CGC and never should have been shipped out in the first place without being reholdered first (and pressed if there was any damage to the comic). Make sure they credit you for shipping both ways. And for what it's worth, shipments with more books (10+) are shipped in a carton with 1" cardboard packing surrounding the slabs - no bubble wrap - and that is the only time i have had shipments arrive with damaged (cracked) cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,681 posts

I find their packing for small batches (2 or 3 books) to be terrible.  I've had slabs arrive cracked - I've had slabs with weird bubble scuff marks all over the front.  I've had almost no issues with larger (20-25 slabs) orders where they are able to use the large boxes padded with cardboard.  Maybe they could look into how they ship the smaller packages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,796 posts
1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

I find their packing for small batches (2 or 3 books) to be terrible.  I've had slabs arrive cracked - I've had slabs with weird bubble scuff marks all over the front.  I've had almost no issues with larger (20-25 slabs) orders where they are able to use the large boxes padded with cardboard.  Maybe they could look into how they ship the smaller packages.

I agree with @Jordysnordy that Comiclink's packaging on small batch orders is far superior to CGC's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
231 posts

Sorry to see that. It's one of the reasons I haven't sent anything down in a while.  I had a few cracked slabs from my last couple of orders.  The exterior of the package was still in good condition but there was no bubble wrap or any interior packing material.  Customer service was good about it, so I have no complaints on that end.  I was just surprised by the lack of packing materials so the slabs had some room to move around.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
274 posts

I had a very similar thing just happen to me and it was only on one book (had to be separated from my other books because it was a different tier). I just got it back this morning from sending it back in to be re-holdered. You're right, there's a lot of things you have to do in order to get it back to them and you don't want to miss any steps on the re-holder form but they foot the bill for shipping so that's a plus. Of course you have to wait again but I can tell that at least they made it right. In total it took about 3 weeks for me to get it back after sending it back in for a re-holder. Good luck with getting it sent back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,324 posts
25 minutes ago, iggykoopa said:

I had a very similar thing just happen to me and it was only on one book (had to be separated from my other books because it was a different tier). I just got it back this morning from sending it back in to be re-holdered. You're right, there's a lot of things you have to do in order to get it back to them and you don't want to miss any steps on the re-holder form but they foot the bill for shipping so that's a plus. Of course you have to wait again but I can tell that at least they made it right. In total it took about 3 weeks for me to get it back after sending it back in for a re-holder. Good luck with getting it sent back!

My luck I'm in Canada so I need to lay out the return shipping costs ( I assume CGC will cover them once I email them the receipt of Canada Post costs)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
274 posts
5 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

My luck I'm in Canada so I need to lay out the return shipping costs ( I assume CGC will cover them once I email them the receipt of Canada Post costs)

Ahh yes, yet another wrench to throw into the mix! Hopefully they'll get it sorted out and you don't have to wait that long. All I did was provided pics in the initial email to them and then they sent a detailed email back with what all needed to be done. Fingers crossed for you, man! It was my first experience with a broken slab but they fixed it all no problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,263 posts
1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

My luck I'm in Canada so I need to lay out the return shipping costs ( I assume CGC will cover them once I email them the receipt of Canada Post costs)

um if your in Canada I am pretty sure CBSA opened your package.. they open a ton of packages and might not hit you with a customs fee but they might have opened the package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0