• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Other Side of Doug Sulipa that No One Talks About

18 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, namisgr said:

I see Joe Krolik, one of the original owners of the Winnipeg pedigree collection, was a contributor.

Those Winnipegs are soooo nice.  Lots of copies in the same technical grade, but few with the blazing white pages afforded by the cold Manitoba air.  Doug's Manitobas were much the same.

I always thought that the Winnipeg Collection was overrated since the early SA Marvel issues are very nice but not in super high grade like other SA pedigrees. Look at the number of 7.0 - 8.0 books. The page quality varies a lot as well -  the amount of OW to OW-W for late 60s through 70s books is :sick: when you look at the climate. 

14 hours ago, the blob said:

OK, titles like that sound ominous...

I apologize. It was intentionally done to get more traffic, opposed to something like "Sulipa Zine".  It's also an attempt at irony because Doug is (the the fourth time in this tread) such a nice and probably does not have an ominous bone in his body

5 hours ago, CDNComix said:

I apologize. It was intentionally done to get more traffic, opposed to something like "Sulipa Zine".  It's also an attempt at irony because Doug is (the the fourth time in this tread) such a nice and probably does not have an ominous bone in his body

Everyone thought ted Bundy was a great guy too...

On 11/18/2019 at 2:24 PM, seanfingh said:

Those Winnipegs are soooo nice.  Lots of copies in the same technical grade, but few with the blazing white pages afforded by the cold Manitoba air.  Doug's Manitobas were much the same.

On 11/18/2019 at 2:43 PM, kimik said:

I always thought that the Winnipeg Collection was overrated since the early SA Marvel issues are very nice but not in super high grade like other SA pedigrees. Look at the number of 7.0 - 8.0 books. The page quality varies a lot as well -  the amount of OW to OW-W for late 60s through 70s books is :sick: when you look at the climate. 

Any truth to the rumours that those were supposedly Joe's undercopies as he's got a complete set of uber HG Marvel SA books for his own personal collection?  hm

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Any truth to the rumours that those were supposedly Joe's undercopies as he's got a complete set of uber HG Marvel SA books for his own personal collection?  hm

He might. Any long time dealer should have some nice stuff tucked away. 

I would be curious to see how many have CT or other restoration work. I don't know about Joe's past with restoration, but it was not considered as big of a deal in the 70s and 80s as it is now. I avoid one long-time Winnipeg-based dealer now due undisclosed restoration issues......

1 hour ago, kimik said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

He might. Any long time dealer should have some nice stuff tucked away. 

Yes, this is most definitely the case and I would expect to see a lot more new to market uber HG SA Marvel collections to come into the marketplace going forward.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, kimik said:

I don't know about Joe's past with restoration, but it was not considered as big of a deal in the 70s and 80s as it is now.

Yes, back around the latter part of the 70's and the early to mid parts of the 80's or thereabouts, restoration was seen as an activity that added value to the existing condition of a comic book.  The exact same type of thinking in today's marketplace whereby pressing is not considered to be a big deal and actually an activity that maximizes the potential of a book and brings out the hidden value in it.  hm

Sometimes, it makes me wonder if collectors will also feel the same way about pressed books in say 20 years with advancing cost effective detection technology, similar to how they feel about restored books today.  (shrug)

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I've dealt with Doug many times over the years. He's a great guy and a top notch seller!  (thumbsu

I was not referring to Doug. I have bought from him as well with no problems. There are a couple of other long time Winnipeg based sellers that it is buyer beware with........

It is just like the BC based seller that set up at the Calgary Expo a couple of years ago selling books with undisclosed resto. I think that all of the books that thehumantorch bought from him had crayon color touch on them, and one looked trimmed. 

On 11/18/2019 at 4:24 PM, seanfingh said:

I agree that Manitoba's climate helps retain those white pages. Every collector I knew growing up, kept their comics in the basement as I still do. When I look through my books now, I still can't help but smell the pages haha! Takes me back to when I was a kid buying them new from Comic World (Doug's store back in the day)

He's a top notch dealer and person. Joe Krolik on the other hand, is not

I bought a few comics (raw and graded) from Doug this year and I was very satisfied. His packing method is elaborate and nuke proof.

Even sold a comic book lot to Doug recently, and again, a very smooth transaction.

Hi raw grading seems very accurate. I have a couple that are on their way to Sarasota. Curious to see what grade I will get, but quite confident it will be similar to the raw grade.

Highly recommended dealer.

Edited by Frederic9494