• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Boston 2020 Cancelled

18 posts in this topic

It’s the first MASSIVE guest announcement to rule them all. Hobbit over to see Lord of The Rings’ Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Dominic Monaghan, and Billy Boyd at FAN EXPO’s The Four Hobbits: An Unexpected Reunion. 2020 tickets go on sale, Nov 20. Hobbit tickets go on sale, Nov 21: https://www.fanexpoboston.com/…/speci…/the-four-hobbits.html

75584979_2705295849521988_7908154507089936384_o.jpg

71185707_2419670261416051_8707534090804396032_o.jpg

Edited by Kevin Boyd

16 hours ago, AndyFish said:

I remember when Boston Comic Con started out-- the promoters were HUGE on it being a comics only show.   Now the big attraction are some hobbits.   How long before there are no comics at some of these shows?    Thank god for Heroes, Emerald City and Baltimore.

Fan Expo Boston has continued to have great comic guests over the past few years since the changeover (this year, for example, we had Todd McFarlane, Greg Capullo, Arthur Adams, Mike Mignola, Steve Rude, Don Rosa and another 90+ creator guests), and while comics are not the only focus of the show, they are still the largest footprint on the show floor.

We've actually increased the number of comics professional guests at the event since the purchase, providing more complimentary tables to professional creators, and have had the input of former owner Nick, as well as Randy House and Bob Shaw during those years. Bob Shaw is back on the Boston team for 2020. 

I fully understand the resistance to change, but Fan Expo does include a handful of different fandoms, and yes, the biggest marketing push is definitely with the celebrity guests, but it's not the only push. I post the celebrity announcements here because there are collectors on these forums that do like to get their comics signed by celebrities. My focus is only on the comic creator guests and providing a great line up of creator guests and programming content for our attendees. 

I hope you'll consider attending to get a first hand perspective to see we haven't "lost the faith". We'd certainly welcome having you and Veronica attend as creator guests so we can show you firsthand. Last year you went to Wizard Chicago as I recall. 

Edited by Kevin Boyd

On 11/28/2019 at 11:45 AM, Kevin Boyd said:

Fan Expo Boston has continued to have great comic guests over the past few years since the changeover (this year, for example, we had Todd McFarlane, Greg Capullo, Arthur Adams, Mike Mignola, Steve Rude, Don Rosa and another 90+ creator guests), and while comics are not the only focus of the show, they are still the largest footprint on the show floor.

We've actually increased the number of comics professional guests at the event since the purchase, providing more complimentary tables to professional creators, and have had the input of former owner Nick, as well as Randy House and Bob Shaw during those years. Bob Shaw is back on the Boston team for 2020. 

I fully understand the resistance to change, but Fan Expo does include a handful of different fandoms, and yes, the biggest marketing push is definitely with the celebrity guests, but it's not the only push. I post the celebrity announcements here because there are collectors on these forums that do like to get their comics signed by celebrities. My focus is only on the comic creator guests and providing a great line up of creator guests and programming content for our attendees. 

I hope you'll consider attending to get a first hand perspective to see we haven't "lost the faith". We'd certainly welcome having you and Veronica attend as creator guests so we can show you firsthand. Last year you went to Wizard Chicago as I recall. 

Yeah we've been guests of Chicago Wizard, C2E2, San Diego Comic Con, Rose City, Heroes, Jet City, Ace and a whole bunch of others-- I wasn't lamenting the fact that you have a focus on celebrities but just that it's moved so far away from the original intention.   I appreciate and understand that the most successful shows bring in celebrities.   ACE in Chicago was a lot of fun, but the draws were the A-List movie stars of the Marvel films.   Fewer and fewer shows are just comic focused.   Appreciate the invitation, no slight intended, just observation.

I miss doing comics only shows too (I did one for five years in Toronto), but from a budget perspective, working within the framework of a larger pop culture con has allowed for us to do more and I think our guests do benefit from exposure to other audiences with crossover appeal. Comic fans can also have interest in celebrities, and people there for celebrities do come and check out the comic guests. But ultimately yes, the owner of the Boston Comic Con decided to sell his event to Fan Expo HQ and they don't do comics only shows, so Fan Expo Boston is a pop culture show.

Edited by Kevin Boyd

Mayor of Boston just banned large events until Labor Day (Sept 7).   Doesn’t bode well.   I know a lot of you think adamantly that this is “the right thing to do” I maintain the experts have been wrong all the way through, especially now that NYC is finding 60% of cases now coming in being people who don’t leave the house.   This is a very bad flu.   But hygiene keeps me from getting the flu every year.   I have zero underlying health conditions and I wash my hands like an insane germophobe.   If you have a compromised immune system stay home and hope it doesn’t creep in through the window cracks, let the rest of us get back to work.

It’s a shame that here in Boston, the birthplace of American democracy, that we would cower before this.   Ben Franklin once said; “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety.”

Edited by AndyFish

I maintain the experts have been wrong all the way through,

I could Not agree More !  I'm In ny and I can tell you the Hospitals now have too Many beds , since the Corona cases have declined and the other patiants are scared to go to any public Hospital now.  I am in the Highest risk Group at 60+ with underlying conditions and I think these lockdowns have gone past the point of sanity . Very Disappointed to hear about Boston as I was Booked to set up there 

On 5/9/2020 at 1:24 PM, AndyFish said:

Mayor of Boston just banned large events until Labor Day (Sept 7).   Doesn’t bode well.   I know a lot of you think adamantly that this is “the right thing to do” I maintain the experts have been wrong all the way through, especially now that NYC is finding 60% of cases now coming in being people who don’t leave the house.   This is a very bad flu.   But hygiene keeps me from getting the flu every year.   I have zero underlying health conditions and I wash my hands like an insane germophobe.   If you have a compromised immune system stay home and hope it doesn’t creep in through the window cracks, let the rest of us get back to work.

It’s a shame that here in Boston, the birthplace of American democracy, that we would cower before this.   Ben Franklin once said; “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty or safety.”

Influenza (the flu) and COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus that's led to the current pandemic, are both infectious respiratory illnesses. Although the symptoms of COVID-19 and the flu can look similar, the two illnesses are caused by different viruses.

I'm shocked how quickly people will give up their liberty.    If we were fighting the revolution today, a good chunk of you would be under your beds.   You can call me a cry baby if you want, but when we are looking back at this in ten years this will be the great overreaction.   If you have an underlying health condition, or you're just plain old, stay sequestered.   I'll bring your groceries and leave them thirty feet from your door so my toxic exhales won't infect you.   Just because YOU give in to panic doesn't mean the rest of us who don't are wrong.   No one knows what the truth is here.

2 hours ago, AndyFish said:

I'm shocked how quickly people will give up their liberty.    If we were fighting the revolution today, a good chunk of you would be under your beds.   You can call me a cry baby if you want, but when we are looking back at this in ten years this will be the great overreaction.   If you have an underlying health condition, or you're just plain old, stay sequestered.   I'll bring your groceries and leave them thirty feet from your door so my toxic exhales won't infect you.   Just because YOU give in to panic doesn't mean the rest of us who don't are wrong.   No one knows what the truth is here.

80k of people dead in the USA as a result of Covid numbers growing daily is certainly a truth that is indisputable.

Being socially responsible does not mean one is giving into panic as you are suggesting it means that until we have  an answer we need to listen to health care experts and hand wash, social distance and mask up like crazy.

Protect yourself and others and god willing we’ll get to the other side of this pandemic together. Stay safe

11 hours ago, AndyFish said:

On 5/9/2020 at 1:24 PM, AndyFish said:

Fan expo Seattle just bit the dust 

We have crossed the Rubicon and there is no return . As a country, with a few exceptions, We have accepted that any mayor or governer can upend or destroy our lives and we will passively accept it.  One thing is certain, when you give up a right, you never get it back. As far this virus goes, the information we are getting is convoluted and so contradictory its impossible to believe anybody. First Human to Human transmission is Impossible, Then it was Difficult, Now its stunningly easy . This "lockdown" was supposed to be until there was assurance the hospitals would not be overwhelmed,  well in NY that's long since passed but I'm still "sheltering" with no end in sight, First its no Masks, Then Its Mandatory Masks. 1st its 2 million dead, the 200,000, the 60,000, now  120,000. Will this be over in  3 Months, ? will a second wave appear? Will this be a permanent fixture in America.? Depends which "expert" is speaking and on what day. Frankly a Monkey with a dartboard is just as reliable  The powers that be are constantly speaking out against the one drug that seems to actually work . As far as a Vaccine goes,  A safe Vaccine is at least 2 years away if it exists , and even then with 30+ variant strains it can at best be minimally effective 

So what does that Mean for conventions ? Can a promoter run a show now with minimal guests and restricted attendance? How many dealers are going to  attend multiple events and interact with thousands of people in enclosed environments multiple times a year?  How many Potential attendees are just plain going to stop going?  What's going to happen in a crowded center when one person starts coughing, or tests positive? Remember the cruise ships? 

Speaking as 61 year old dealer who was booked for 14 shows this year , Here are my future Plans :  Put more emphasis on smaller local 1 or 2 days shows.  2021 will see me cut my circuit in half and focus on shows that provide the best value for the  dollar and stay closer to home.

I am greatly look forward to the 1st post-lockdown show to see where we stand. One this is certain The Pre covid shows are Gone.  An nothing will bring them back for the foreseeable future 

On 5/11/2020 at 10:13 PM, anstettoman said:

80k of people dead in the USA as a result of Covid numbers growing daily is certainly a truth that is indisputable.

Being socially responsible does not mean one is giving into panic as you are suggesting it means that until we have  an answer we need to listen to health care experts and hand wash, social distance and mask up like crazy.

Protect yourself and others and god willing we’ll get to the other side of this pandemic together. Stay safe

Numbers are padded. Heck, I will say I`ve died from COVID-19 if someone gives me $10,000 and Im not even dead yet.