• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Calgary Expo - Cancelled
3 3

171 posts in this topic

Officials from the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo, which drew more than 90,000 people to Stampede Park in 2019, did not immediately return calls from Postmedia about the status of its 2020 event, which is set for April 23 to 26.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/alberta-covid-19-toll-hits-as-nhl-suspends-season-kenney-comes-home/

5 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

I am officially holding off on getting a ticket now

Heard that a large Edmonton Antique Fair got cancelled and Disneyland is even closed! I just booked a cancelable hotel as part of my Calgary road trip, as the room rates are dropping this week.

18 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Heard that a large Edmonton Antique Fair got cancelled and Disneyland is even closed! I just booked a cancelable hotel as part of my Calgary road trip, as the room rates are dropping this week.

That is one great upside, if the expo goes ahead, room rates are going to be fantastic. 

The show is still a month away. If the peak spread for COVID is now until the end of March, things should be clear for the show to proceed late April. With all of the other shows closing, it could be a big selling event...........

4 hours ago, kimik said:

The show is still a month away. If the peak spread for COVID is now until the end of March, things should be clear for the show to proceed late April. With all of the other shows closing, it could be a big selling event...........

I hope it works out that way, but realistically, vendors are most likely planning a month in advance. That's not even taking in account if they or family members become sick.

Guess all anyone can do is try to be optimistic at this point.

Shows in late April and early May still have a chance of starting up. Hopefully Alberta follows the lead of Ontario and calls a two week suspension of school following spring break (March 23-27 here) and restart on the Tuesday (April 14) after Easter. That would allow enough time for people still travelling during the break to self quarantine for two weeks, and hopefully prevent a widespread outbreak. That should hopefully be enough time for the Expo (April 23-26) to be held.

I think the fact that they closed all schools in Alberta is a harbinger of things to come.  It looks like I will have to get my comic buying fix on-line.

It's a shame.  The spring Calgary show is always a blast.  Such is life...

My wife has asthma and is going to ask to work from home, I work in BC and start my shift tomorrow. Curious to find out if the boarders are going to close

11 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

My wife has asthma and is going to ask to work from home, I work in BC and start my shift tomorrow. Curious to find out if the boarders are going to close

Between AB and BC? I am not certain that is possible to do as it would be a federal matter. Just like the pipeline........

4 minutes ago, kimik said:

Between AB and BC? I am not certain that is possible to do as it would be a federal matter. Just like the pipeline........

It's just something I've heard mentioned, I personally think it's impractical, as well as impossible

That being said, I'm in BC right now, and everything is per usual, and I don't expect that to change at all

Edited by IkewithMike
More info

1 minute ago, IkewithMike said:

It's just something I've heard mentioned, I personally think it's impractical, as well as impossible

Where in BC?